Unlimited access >

Turnout gallop after joint injections

Hello everyone, i will apologize earlier for my english, but it isnt my first language. My horse got joint injections on saturday evening (Around 2 pm). The vet told me to wait 2 days to exercise with him again, so i asked if i could put him in the paddock the day after (on sunday, which is today). He told me that i could, but only if he didnt gallop. Today, around 12 pm, i cut off part of the bandages (should i have left it? a girl told me it was okay to cut it the day after) and left my horse in the paddock. At the beginning he only ate some grass, but later he started cantering and being crazy, and this lasted like 30 seconds before i got immediatly in and took him out to walk on a lunge. So basically he got only a few sec to canter, but im worrying sick that it might have reduced the effectiveness of the injections, or did some harm. I have another question, next saturday i have a competition (show jumping, 1 meter course), and the vet said nothing about it (neither said to avoid competing or that i could), my riding instructor says its fine to compete but i’ve read of people who let their horse exercise very lightly after at least 1 week post injections.
Am i worrying too much? or these seconds galloping could have done something?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the short gallop. It’s not ideal, but there’s nothing to be done about it now anyway. In regards to your competition, I would ask your vet if you’re concerned. Different people have different protocols for returning to work after injections, some of which depends on what joint(s) were injected, and with which medications. If it is a sanctioned competition, you may want to confirm that you are within a legal time frame to compete, especially if sedation was used.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much. That was a very short period of time.

1 Like

Not ideal but probably ok

1 Like

Your horse is probably fine. Call your vet and ask about a return to work protocol post-injections.

1 Like

Assuming you weren’t injecting due to an active injury it’s safe to say that your horse will be fine and the injections will be as effective it would have been without the gallop.

1 Like