Unlimited access >

TV/Movie Horse Errors

I know, we could write an entire encyclopedia on this subject. :slight_smile:

I recently found in a discount bin Manimal: The Complete TV Series. I had never seen the series, but I confess I picked it up because it had a black panther on the cover of the DVD. I’m fond of black panthers. The series is 80s sci fi about a guy who can change into any animal he wishes and uses this ability to help the police. Yes, it requires extreme suspension of disbelief at moments, but it was worth the discount price I paid for it, and there is indeed plenty of black panther action, since that was apparently the hero’s favorite animal to turn into. You get plenty of panther in every single episode. Beautiful panther.

However, the worst episode of them all was the one with a horse-racing plot. I couldn’t believe that some of those errors weren’t picked up. Hadn’t anybody on the writing and production team ever been to the races or placed a bet?

The plot there is that a Kentucky Derby winner was horsenapped years ago and held for ransom. The ransom was never paid. Thus, his horsenapper decided to cash in and collect his never-collected ransom by substituting the Derby winner for a major long shot in a stakes race. However, the trainer of the Derby winner also had a horse running in that race, and she recognized her former horse, even with star altered, as he passed her current horse.

In the episode, the horses are stabled on the backstretch at Aqueduct waiting for the race. The horse identifier comes back there to identify horses, and the jockey, already in silks, leads the long-shot horse out of the stall to get identified. Horse identifier signs off on identity, and the jockey tucks the long-shot horse back in the stall. Of course, the Bad Folks are waiting right there (literally, 15 feet outside that stall) with a parked trailer containing the Derby winner, waiting to make the switch once the identifier conveniently verifies ID and walks away, leaving horses unattended.

One of the very few sets of people around the very deserted backstretch at this time is the shapeshifting hero, who with his sidekick is attending the races and who is walking around the backstretch unaccompanied between races, going right up to the horses for the next race and petting them. The trainer of the former Derby winner comes up while he is petting her current horse for this race. She objects, and he apologizes, and she accepts that, after which she gives instructions to the jockey with her (already in silks) right there in front of the stall. Again, there is no paddock. Apparently, getting saddled in the paddock doesn’t exist in this episode any more than getting ID checked in the paddock does any more than having people from the barn always in attendance with a horse about to race.

Derby winner in disguise wins, of course, taking the place of the super long shot. The hero’s sidekick put bets on the medium shot (trained by the Derby winner’s former trainer). That horse finished second. The trainer recognizes her Derby winner as the substituted winner and goes storming back to the row of stalls, the SAME row of stalls (still with the horse trailer parked 15 feet away for convenience of the horse switch). These horses who have just raced are now tucked back in their stalls, having magically instantly cooled out. Trainer throws a fit and insists on horse being removed from the stall for a reidentification, but the horses have been switched back by then, so the original identification as the long shot stands. The people who did the switch, who are still parked 15 feet away from this action with their trailer, which now contains the Derby winner after reswitching, decide that they need to get out of there and pull out. Hero notices them and thinks they are suspicious. (He is the only one who thinks that having a horse trailer parked RIGHT outside the stall of the horse with no other trailers anywhere in sight was suspicious.) He collects trainer and goes in pursuit, and the chase and the case take off from there.

Meanwhile, his sidekick who bet on the horse that finished second thinks that if the Derby winner is DQ’d for being a substituted horse, the result will be overturned and the second-place horse he bet on will win. He tracks down his torn-up tickets and holds onto them throughout the rest of the episode so he can cash in once the DQ goes through. As anybody who bet on Medina Spirit or Mandaloun knows or is about to know anyway, a DQ after a race has been made official has no effect on payouts. They don’t redo those, and bettors are out of luck.

Oh, yes, and there is all sorts of crazy inaccurate horse stuff going on back at the farm where they wind up going to find the Derby winner.

I honestly can’t remember seeing so many horse errors in one TV show episode. It’s comic by the end of it. Hard to believe that they made that many mistakes.

But it is a very handsome black panther. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been binging on Heartland. If I see ONE MORE horse tied by its reins… I’m sure someone out there is doing this because so many episodes show it. Then there are the noisy horses, sometimes neighing to get a message across to the humans.

8 Likes

My gripe is more “real life” --as someone who did a 250 mile ride in 14 days, the entire trope of “I Rode my Horse Alone Across the USA [or South America to Alaska, or across Europe, whatever]” --possible, I am sure but WHAT DID YOU DO FOR HAY? We all know horses can’t live on air, so if you were ALONE and riding months (or even weeks) --how were you feeding the horse? And no, hand grazing after a 10 hour day of sitting on the horse is a stretch. (I understand US Cavalry did 4 hours riding followed by 4 hours hand grazing which does make sense).

If one digs a bit in these “I Rode Across the USA Alone” stories, one finds a rather large support network --husband follows in an RV, planned hay drops, days off at friends farms, etc.

If one closely watches the awesome movie “Unbridled” about the friends who rode from Mex to CA --there are trailers of hay in the background, and mentions of stops for hay and rest.

Anyway, that’s my rant today!

OH and if you wondered --I had planned hay in my trailer that was driven from one camp to another by a support person so I COULD ride 250 miles. She had hay, water, food, and camp set up for me. True, I rode alone, but not exactly.

4 Likes

Heartland - yes!

The “magical” join-ups and the talkative horses are bad enough, but what has been getting to me is that when someone falls off (always without wearing a helmet :roll_eyes:) the horse will stand without moving next to their unconscious comrade, but any horse will gallop away from the barn into the great unknown given half a chance.

5 Likes

Did you mean “Unbranded”?

Right! Unbranded was the movie about the friends riding from MX to CA --Unbridled was the Cutting/sorting documentary. Thank you!

1 Like

One of the most egregious movie errors in my book is the fact that in the tv version of Lonesome Dove, the Hell B**ch is very visibly played by several geldings. “She” also goes from a dapple grey to fleabitten depending on the scene.
Apparently they didn’t have much choice as the movie wranglers refused to work with mares, but I noticed immediately and it irritated me for the entire 6 hour run time, lol.

2 Likes
  • period/place inaccurate tack (understandable to a certain extent but I wish they’d at least try sometimes)

• clearly no effort was made to try and teach the actors to ride (listen, I get that riding is incredibly difficult but some mistakes I see made are very basic things that any good trainer will grill out of you the first time they see it), I don’t think this is asking the world actors are given lessons and train to do things for specific movies and shows all the time, I’m not asking them to look like pros but just to not make me pity the horse too much

• everyone wants to ride a stallion for some reason because it’s cool or something, this really only makes sense if they’re knights riding to war, otherwise I’ve really yet to see any other story where it makes sense

• I’ve read some stories where stirrups were referred to as pedals…

• characters are always riding double all the time, drives me mad

• snapping the reins to get the horse to go :scream:

• training sequences…I’ve yet to see or read anything where this is not a scene that makes me want to rip my hair out

• inexperienced beginner doing things more talented/experience people can’t because they vibe with the horse and the others are big meanies and we’re supposed to root for them (you can’t change my mind that this sort of plot isn’t one of the reasons so many people expect to be able to handle way more horse than they’re actually capable of, it’s an incredibly romanticized notion, and not just with horses with all sorts of other animals)

• no choice but to put him down! there’s a rock in his foot! (I get back in ye olden days they didn’t have the resources available to us to fix certain issues but horses were valuable and expensive even back then and there were efforts to doctor them before covering their eyes and giving them the sendoff as the first option, I always see scenes like these as almost a sort of shock factor “see how hard it was back then!”)

• people act like riding bareback for distances and at speed is a lot more comfortable than what it actually is and I also have beef with the idea that it’s some sort of measure of how truly good you are at riding

• there’s never a scene where the characters, having been in the saddle for a while, dismount only to almost collapse and move stiffly, complaining the entire time about being sore all over

• just in general I hate how writers will put a lot of effort into making everything immersive and accurate (in terms of historical settings and such) but pay no attention to the horse aspect of that and in the case of stories about horses specifically it’s even more mind boggling to me

8 Likes

I hate the horse switch. I’ve always noticed, even as a kid.

I remember seeing the “Lone Ranger” ride his horse into a swift running river. His horse went in the river sporting a huge silver mounted breastplate and when he came out it was no longer there. :thinking: :yum:

1 Like
  • Snort * In The Cisco Kid television series, his paint/pinto horse changed its markings from scene to scene…
2 Likes

Another Heartland thing, I’ve started season 12. For many episodes Phoenix is wearing a 3 ring bit that’s hanging from the cheekpieces all wrong and in at least one the reins are on the big ring. (Does anyone do that? I’m not aware of anyone.) In the last episode I saw the bit is hanging correctly, finally, and the reins were on a lower ring where I’d expect them to be.

1 Like

I’m having Saddle Club flashbacks. Friends and I recently rewatched the entire original series for nostalgia. We now parrot phrases from the show at each other. These are some of my favorites.

• A main character says “I need a good gallop” only to cut to her trotting away on the horse. I believe the child actress playing said character didn’t know how to ride at all so her riding scenes were limited and/or body doubled (they did not always put the body double in the same clothing as the actress).
  • Some random illness strikes the barn and all biosecurity protocol is ignored something fierce. One specific horse is acting weird, so they’re supposed to be kept in their stall. Cue one character lamenting how the horse is going to die (if they test positive for the diseases) and it’s not fair and how can the horse never see the sun again!!!11!!!11 So she just… takes the horse on a walk outside. It spooks, runs away, and the government has a sniper come out to shoot the horse since they assume it’s positive for disease and a danger to the local animals.
  • Character is surprised when a mean ol’ racehorse trainer doesn’t want to keep or treat a mare with a chronic soft-tissue injury (the 3rd sprained tendon in a month). Kids decide to steal the horse and everything works out fine.
  • French girl fell off her national champion dressage horse. Main character decides to ride this horse without permission. She gets on the FRENCH dressage horse, tells it to walk on in ENGLISH, then deduces the horse is a fake because the horse stands there.
  • Horses “saving” characters by conveniently running for help, rearing at opportune times, and generally playing Lassie.
6 Likes

Actually, it’s pretty common to tie western horses by the reins. We did it all the time when I was a kid. It’s not uncommon for horses to be tied by the reins to the fence or the trailer for hours while the cattle are being worked.

1 Like

When a horse dies/is put down in a movie their eyes close. Not so much in real life.

1 Like

Too many TV and movie cowboys send their horses into a gallop by exclaiming,“Hee-Yaw!” It’s often combined with the rider walloping the horse’s sides with his legs. Why do they think this is glamorous or indicative of actual riding skill?

1 Like

We watched an episode of Nova on PBS last night - “The First Horse Warriors.” To illustrate how these people first rode horses, they had two adult men - didn’t look like particularly young men, either - in full (noisy) regalia sneak up (kind of crawling) on a loose wild horse out in the open.

As my husband said, you can’t really “sneak” up on a horse like that. The documentary had already shown the existence of pens to confine horses, and the theory that horses were not only eaten, but milked, by these people. I figure that children might have been given the tasks of feeding and watering the confined horses, and that the first rides on a horse could well have been by a youngster or teen, on one of these confined horses that had been accustomed to their presence. Not by a couple of large, scary adult humans attempting to chase down a wild horse out in the open.

Humans can’t realistically catch a free-range, healthy horse that doesn’t want to be caught (one not trapped in a box canyon, for instance). Four legs bests two legs every time, as we have learned to our sorrow when trying to beat a loose horse to an open gate – even if the humans (us) have a substantial head start. And that’s with domesticated horses - to them, it appears to be a game (“We’re all running to the gate, first one through is the winner, this is fun, yay!”).

I imagine with a wild horse, senses on high alert and running for its life, it’d be even less likely. I have been very successful in walking down loose horses with a reputation for being difficult to catch - various ones over the years - in large pastures, but those were all domesticated horses that knew I wasn’t going to eat them and eventually gave up trying to evade me.

3 Likes

I see these kinds of things all the time and boy do they make my head hurt.
One sticks in my head - an episode of Perry Mason where the guy and girl are riding two quarterhorses in western saddles and saddleseat bridles (flashy headbands and the huge bits) while wearing a combo of western and saddleseat outfits. wha-ha?

It’s like some of these writers have never even seen a horse in real-life or even been near one. I mean, seriously, go spend 5 minutes - 5!!! - around some horsey people and you could learn a pretty fair amount. At least enough not to look like a total goob.

@dressagetraks - that whole plot line made my head hurt. How did they keep switching without anyone noticing? And how was it guaranteed that the horse (imposter or no) would win? Ow. Ow ow.

1 Like

Wwwhhhaaatt? What about the risk of injury to the horse’s mouth? The one time I tried to tie with a bridle, the bridle needed a trip to the repair shop.

Ranch horses are taught early not to pull back. They’re also taught to stand tied for long periods of time. I’ve had a few that learned how to rub the bridle off. Those wore a halter under their bridle.

2 Likes

Horse movies are to entertain the general public, not knowledgeable horse people. They are for entertainment purposes. There is no expectation of accuracy.