Unlimited access >

Twisting/wringing hock - suggestions?

Hi all!

I have a 6-year-old OTTB gelding, who over the last few months, has started doing some lower level dressage work. He had been on vacation for almost a year (due to no fault of his own), and once we moved to a new barn, back to work he went! I should mention that although he was race-trained and tattooed, he never actually started.

Most of our work has been in-hand/on the lunge. Lots of walking and trotting, including doing some gentle slopes out in the field to strengthen up his hind end. He’s always been rather weak behind, and my trainer and his chiro both believe he may have an old SI/pelvis injury that nags him a bit, but he’s always been sound and tracked up fairly well.

My question is, does anyone have experience with a horse wringing/twisting their hock? It’s almost as if his RH gets “stuck” and “catches” at the trot, and cantering to the right is very difficult for him. My fella never had this issue before, and it cropped up quite suddenly. We switched farriers (after a bit of a disaster - and the issue appeared before the new farrier was implemented), and he is very happy with the direction we’re heading with my guy’s feet, but definitely notices tightness throughout his entire RH (and seems inclined to think stifle or hip). I’ve had my vet out twice for soundness exams, and he attributes the wringing to an overall lack of strength in both hinds. Even the Lameness Locator showed nothing in particular. We do routine chiro work/acupuncture, which seems to provide my fella relief, but the wringing/twisting of the RH is still there. He has never had any fill/heat in his stifle, hock, hip, or at his SI joint, but is very sensitive to having his RH handled in general (reluctant to have it stretched underneath him and reluctant to have it stretched behind as well). He also has trouble backing, swinging his RH out a bit, and he ever-so-slightly catches his toe on that leg when trotting.

He is on a joint supplement, and is shod in the rear (with his shoes wearing evenly). He gets turned out with one other horse during the day, and has access to a stall at night, but has a private run accessible as well (which is on a gentle slope, so he does lots of walking up and down that to reach the round bale below) so he’s moving around quite a bit. He has had bouts with Lyme Disease in the past, but recent testing showed his titres were too low to indicate an active infection, so that rules that out as a possible cause of the joint issue.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? I’ve read some about estrone injections for locking stifles/SI issues - has anyone had any success with that? What about Legend/Adequan/etc.? I’m concerned that if this wringing/twisting continues, he’s going to end up with serious and long term joint damage - and everyone just keeps telling me that continued work is the key to correcting the problem, but I’d like to do SOMETHING to help him along through this process. I’m a bit stumped as to where to go from here, and would love your suggestions/thoughts/recommendations!

Thank you all so much in advance!

1 Like

Can you post pictures of his hind feet from all angles including a shot from heels towards toe?

A common cause of hock twisting is unbalance hooves. Most common is the farrier leaves the inside heel/quarter slightly long/high and the hock twists outward. If hock is twisting inward then the outside heel/quarter could need taken down.

This imbalance can also cause s/i pain if left uncorrected.

Hi Marla! Thanks for the response! I don’t have any pictures, but I can get some this evening when I go to the barn and post them then. :slight_smile:

If the leg is getting “stuck”, it may not be the hock at all. It may be the stifle. Also, Lyme does not have to show high titers to be affecting joint lameness. Is he getting some immune boosters to help?

Hi Calamber!

I have felt for a while that it’s his stifle as well. When he received acupuncture last week, he reacted very negatively to having his right stifle point treated. Our new barn is also loaded with slopes and hills, and he basically spent his life living on a pancake before this.

He’s on a combo supplement with glucosamine, chondroitin, HA, omegas, vitamin C, zinc, lysine, methionine, MSM, yucca, etc. He also has constant access to hay, gets 10+ hours of access daily to fresh pasture, and receives two feedings of Triple Crown Senior daily along with some beet pulp, AM and PM. Any suggestions for something additional to help him out?

Thanks!

That is a pretty stout amount of supplements but typically horses with Lyme are given a high dose (check with knowledgeable vet) of the best most accessible Vitamin E. If it is his stifle, some work on hills will help but he may be reacting to a weak stifle problem, going from a flat as pancake pasture to one of many hills. Can he get a little relief from the hill fields?

I emphasize checking with an equine vet who is known to be Lyme knowledgeable.

Yes, I also have a hock twister. It starts higher up. He needs to strengthen the muscles that support his spine and learn to use the hip/stifle joints properly again. If you’d like more info on the PT route I use (which is vastly different than lots of chiro/acu/bodywork/supplements/injections) feel free to PM me.

1 Like

Mylertlepony, can you post your methods here? I have a hock wringer also. I feel that it is coming from the stifle and that some ligaments in the stifle are too loose and others are too tight therefore not allowing the hind leg to extend behind fully hence the hock rotating outward. Some days it is worse than others and some days it’s not there. It is worse in deep or loose footing. And sometimes it is one leg as opposed to the other

I have seen hocks wiggle countless times and every single time it was coming from the stifle. Doesn’t mean that is for sure your horse’s problem but that is my best guess.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Halfling;8386041]
Mylertlepony, can you post your methods here? I have a hock wringer also. I feel that it is coming from the stifle and that some ligaments in the stifle are too loose and others are too tight therefore not allowing the hind leg to extend behind fully hence the hock rotating outward. Some days it is worse than others and some days it’s not there. It is worse in deep or loose footing. And sometimes it is one leg as opposed to the other[/QUOTE]

Mine is the same way. Worse in deep footing, usually the left leg but sometimes the right, some days hardly at all, other days more frequently. Mine pretty much only does it at the walk around turns, but every once in a great while he’ll also do it at the trot or canter or on a straight line. I swear it looks like his leg is going to break - scares the hell out of me whenever I see it. AUGH!

The vet said not to do anything shoeing-wise to prevent it, that adding caulks or anything like that would actually hurt him, that the twisting is preventing damage to other joints. But I just cannot believe that it’s good for him long term!

1 Like

I have this issue too- can I message with you also?

I agree- what recommendations do I do to fix this ?

Talk to your vet. May need injected, may need estrone, may need a strengthening