Unlimited access >

Two boarding options: which would you choose?

I am hugely fortunate to live in a very horsey area and I have two great boarding options to choose from. I know this is a decision only I can make, but I would really appreciate people’s opinions based on their experiences. Both barns charge about the same amount of money so that isn’t a factor.

Barn A:
Is full field board but each horse has a stall for feeding/blanketing, inclement weather, and layups (extra $). The barns are brand new and super thoughtfully designed with fans, open stall doors, windows, and a shed row/sand area with fans for the summer. There is plenty of space for tack. The pastures are 4-5 acres with a max of 5 horses per field. The general manager has been there for years and is very professional and there will be a barn manager underneath her. I get the sense that I would rarely have to worry about the care my horse is receiving. There is a resident trainer, and the sister facility has 3 additional trainers. The opportunities for hacking are almost limitless. There is an outdoor ring. Max number of horses is 30.

The downside is no arena and it’s somewhere between 35-55 minutes from my house, depending on traffic, and there are crazy drivers on the highway.

Barn B:
Traditional stall board with day/night turnout depending on the season. The barn is older than Barn A but still very nice with 12X12 stalls. No windows. There is a fairly large arena that is connected to the barn, so you never have to ride outside if you don’t want to, and there is an outdoor ring as well. The field my horse would be in is very large with a shed row for shelter. There are only 3 horses in the field right now, but I don’t know that there is a commitment to limiting fields so that could change. I’ve taken a lesson with the resident trainer, and I think I would like her long term. The farm is 150 acres, and you can hack on an adjoining 100 acres of property. The barn is literally 10 minutes from my house.

The downside is I am not as confident in the care as Barn A. The barn manager has been there less than a year (although she is experienced) and the staffing level seems a bit low for 60 horses. That said, a friend of a friend has a horse there who is a high-maintenance senior and he is doing well.

Which barn would you choose and why? Thank you for your thoughts!

The closer one.

7 Likes

I would likely choose A bc my horse does best with maximum turnout and nothing makes me as crazy as feeling like I can’t rely on the care. BUT! My horse has anhidrosis and can’t take summer afternoons outside so the availability and price of day stalling in summer would be a deciding factor. Additionally, the value of an indoor would depend on your type of winter. I’m in FL so while a cover is nice in summer an indoor doesn’t add much value for me.

Close is good too.

Close. B

First choice whichever living situation would suit your horse better. Mine always preferred more turnout but your climate may make that not suitable depending on your circumstances.

Second choice, assuming your horse doesn’t particularly care for one set up over the other, the one with better care. Mine were kept on a farm close to home but with poor barn owners and staff which meant I went up everyday, twice a day minimum and only went away during the summer when they would be ok with a check over in the field and not need any more than that. It was a huge stress and bind and I would have got a lot more enjoyment from my horses at a different facility but that wasn’t an option in my location. Being able to happily take a night or a week off is a huge asset.

2 Likes

B is close enough for you to check often. You can discuss how many horses might join yours in that field and with a 20 min round trip drive, checking often should not be an issue. And it has stalls and an arena.

Far as staff size, it doesn’t take a big staff for good board, it takes organization. If the horses and are in good condition they are doing something right.

A may be newer and fancier but your round trip drive between 1 and 2 hours means no quick visits and a bigger chunk of time for each visit. You will see more of your horse if its closer.

My vote is start by trying the closer barn, its not a lifetime contract, you can move.

16 Likes

60 head vs 30 head… I would prefer the 30 head barn

1 Like

I’d prefer the closer barn, with the review from a current boarder saying no issues with care. Plus I prefer the turn in/out daily, means someone is more likely to notice Dobbin missing a shoe or lame versus a head count in a field while someone throws hay (or however they do feeding).

Plus it sounds like “arena” means indoor to you, and seems important. Plus a trainer you like already. It seems like a simple choice, don’t be thrown off by the newness at the other barn.

4 Likes

Barn B, being 10 minutes from the barn makes a world of difference. Having an indoor would also be high on my list regardless of the climate you live in.

7 Likes

Barn B for sure. Being close to the barn is always a plus if you can manage it and having an indoor is well worth the extra money you pay in board.

6 Likes

Me - would opt for closer(B) based on info provided. That said, you dont mention the climate where you live. nor do you mention your riding, other than a reference to trainer at barn A. Is there a trainer at B - or dont you care? Your explanation of barn A sounds like they build a new barn all fancy, but the horses are out 24/7? I would love the trail options at B.
There was only a brief period of time when I had to board my horse more than 25 minutes from home - I hated it.

Edited to add: got mixed as to which barn has trainer.

I would always go with the closer barn, provided care is decent (and it sounds like it is).

I hate to say it, but even at relatively good barns, boarders which lived close and came daily (all things being equal) were treated better, and their horses received better care. On paper, it’s easy to say you’ll be at the barn just as much, even though it’s 55 minutes away. But two hours 'round trip is a significant commute. All it takes is something in your life to go wrong, for the care to go a bit wonky without close supervision, and you and your horse will start to be unhappy

10 Likes

B The indoor arena does it for me. You like the trainer; care (according to your friend) is sufficient. And its close.

2 Likes

I board at a barn 75 minutes from my house. (No other trainer in my discipline any closer) and I can tell you the distance is a problem. They are great and the horse has great care but…there have been lots of times I would have gone for a quick visit but it’s too far for that. I’d say go for closer.

5 Likes

B. But I’m at the barn every day and keep an eye on the care and on my horse, so that might make a difference.

It’s nice that you have two great options!

I agree that close is good, but I also think a lot depends on what kind of riding you most enjoy. Do you like hacking out as your primary activity? Or do you prefer working in a ring/arena?

A smaller facility with more opportunities to hack out would be my preference, but it may not make any difference to you.

My vote is for the close one too. But I have my horses at home.

What is the climate like where you live? Does an indoor mean you can ride for several months of the year that you would not be able to ride if you did not have an indoor or is an indoor just an OK thing that means you will not get wet on rainy days?

New versus old barn does not matter to me. More turn out would be a huge plus to me, but you might have a horse that does not care for turn out as much.

I do not find driving 20 minutes to be a long drive for anything, and I am not really fond of driving. I do not live in the middle of nowhere and it still takes at least 10 minutes to get anywhere, so another 10 minutes is not a huge deal.

1 Like

My vote would be Barn B. Nice and close, indoor arena and hands on 2 x day is a great bonus (missing shoes, cuts, horse seeming off etc).

Since you will be close, it would be nice and easy for you to pop in whenever if you are somewhat worried about any care, but it sounds like its decent anyway.

1 Like