Unlimited access >

Two Grandsires Too Much?

Is it unwise to breed a mare to a stallion that shares the same grandsire on one side?

Worth a read;

Degree of separation between same name horse, might influence me. One side having it back a few generations or more, with other side also back a couple generations might be doable for me.

Same horse on both sides as literal grandsire, or great-grand sire or both in the 2nd, 3rd generation, is too closely related for me.

5 Likes

I appreciate your insight and it is too close. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

No, not necessarily, especially if the offspring is intended for riding (versus breeding or resale). There are horses in the top of the sport with a heavy percentage of inbreeding - United Touch S being a good example. However, any faults with this particular repeat in the pedigree is going to have a significant chance of showing up in the resulting offspring. I would ensure that this grandsire is a horse with qualities you greatly desire and it needs to be a horse with minimal faults both conformationally and temperamentally. I’ve had repeats even in the 5th generation still have significant influence on the resulting offspring despite being 5 generations back.

2 Likes

Interesting. It is a true grandsire on both sides (Rubenstein I). I am interested in doing it for temperament. Before coming to me, this mare was bred to a stallion with Rubenstein as his 2nd (?) grandsire 6 years ago – great grandsire in laymen’s terms. She threw an amazing colt that has actually been kept a stallion because he has her (and Rubenstein’s) sweet, kind, even temperament and they did not feel the need to geld him. Unfortunately, the sire she was bred to has died. If I do breed her, the foal would not be used for breeding stock, just personal use.

Using a repeat in the third generation just for the sake of temperament is pushing it IMO. I would personally look for a son or a bit more modern stallion known for throwing excellent temperaments with a known well tempered damline.

2 Likes

I am not at all opposed to finding another stallion. I will make a separate post looking for suggestions.

1 Like