Unlimited access >

Two Questions for those with Lesson Programs!

I am in the preliminary stages of striking out on my own with my own lesson horses. I have two questions

1. I have several helmets of my own but they are larger sized. instructors who allow students to borrow helmets; what brands are best that I could buy two smaller sizes that would fit either oval or round head? I am definitely wanting a dial on the back. I know troxel has at least two models but I wasn’t sure what head shape they fit. This is very important to me as I want excellent fit! Obviously the best option is to have students purchase their own but I teach many new riders who would like to try out the sport before purchasing one. I’d like to spend under $60 each.

2. Logo design; in general, how much would it cost to have one logo designed to place on saddle pads and my website? I have an idea of what I want and would be open to contacting college students to help design it. This would be done in the future to help with branding.

Thanks for an suggestions!

Troxel makes basic, safe, schooling helmets. I bought a few in different sizes when I was teaching.
http://www.statelinetack.com/shop-by-brand/troxel/2277/?srccode=ADSLPH&gclid=CPPJuN_u_ssCFYlcfgodtfUMpg&kwid=81045743748x7097191068x164952228

Don’t know about saddle pad logos but you can do tee shirts pretty inexpensively:
http://www.customink.com/p/0045?pc=PNG-61928936Z&cm_pla=Tee+Shirt&cm_ite=tee-shirts&cm_ven=Google&cm_cat=T-Shirts&adpos=1t1&creative=89564432238&device=c&matchtype=e&network=g&gclid=CNXSzKfv_ssCFYVrfgodV1sJRQ

I agree on the helmets but I always tell new riders that they need to invest in a helmet, paddock boots and half chaps as quickly as they can. (this is the least expensive route!)

[QUOTE=copper1;8611876]
I agree on the helmets but I always tell new riders that they need to invest in a helmet, paddock boots and half chaps as quickly as they can. (this is the least expensive route!)[/QUOTE]

I was just going to say the same thing. Be clear at the get-go, borrowing a helmet is temporary because you will have parents who put it off for months. Trowel and Ovation have good small helmets with a dial.

Around here we always have 4-H tack sales. I’m sure you can get a bunch of good, used helmets at reasonable prices.

I have had a lesson program for years. I always have helmets for the riders. Some kids will have their own, but most do not. I love dial-a-fits. I have several sizes. I do not require that my students buy helmets. I do require that they wear shoes with a heel.

On logo design – you want files that your can use in print, for embroidery/shirts, etc. I had good luck using a logo design firm based in India. I don’t worry about logos on my saddle pads.

[QUOTE=Tory;8611940]
Around here we always have 4-H tack sales. I’m sure you can get a bunch of good, used helmets at reasonable prices.[/QUOTE]
At the risk of turning this into a trainwreck, used helmets are not something anyone should encourage people buying/using.

Furthermore, I personally would not want the liability of providing helmets [that may or may not be in a condition to protect a head in a fall/other] to lesson students.

I tell people all the time who are looking to get their kid a used helmet or borrow one… a decent, new, ASTM helmet costs as little as $30. That is [where I live] less than half the price of an hour lesson… and worth the investment.

[QUOTE=Angela Freda;8611960]
At the risk of turning this into a trainwreck, used helmets are not something anyone should encourage people buying/using.

Furthermore, I personally would not want the liability of providing helmets [that may or may not be in a condition to protect a head in a fall/other] to lesson students.

I tell people all the time who are looking to get their kid a used helmet or borrow one… a decent, new, ASTM helmet costs as little as $30. That is [where I live] less than half the price of an hour lesson… and worth the investment.[/QUOTE]

would have written the same post

If you have helmets you are loaning out in professional program you might want to see what your insurance carrier says about the policy, if they OK it make sure you have a signed copy saying so for your records.

I think it is a good idea to have a couple of dial-a-fit helmets to use for first lessons and as backup on rare occasions when a student forgets or loses their own. Usually it is easy to get a good fit on a variety of heads with the dial-a-fits. The dials do break eventually, but the helmets are inexpensive.

However, I think it would be wise to strongly recommend that students buy their own helmet if they plan to do more than one or two lessons. Having your students and their parents responsible for their own helmets reduces your liability, and you may not be aware but head lice can be disturbingly common among school children.

No buying used helmets. They are an important piece of safety equipment that has to be stored properly and they are no good after a fall. You have no way of knowing the age/history of a used helmet.

[QUOTE=Tory;8611940]
Around here we always have 4-H tack sales. I’m sure you can get a bunch of good, used helmets at reasonable prices.[/QUOTE]
No way would I risk going used. You don’t know how they were stored, were they dropped, did somebody have a fall in one.

I love my Ovation deluxe schooler.
http://www.horse.com/item/ovation-deluxe-schooler-helmet/E000917%20XSSM%20GRY/?srccode=GPHORSE&gclid=CO_31t-o_8sCFVdahgodY9QKvA&kwid=productads-adid^45396065737-device^c-plaid^83413562017-sku^406331@ADL4HORSE-adType^PLA

They come as small as XS and lots of colors. They breathe really well. I sweat a lot less in mine than I did in previous helmet all for about $50 each.

I wanted the purple one but can’t quite justify buying it. I have black and brown.

Do the troxels fit both round and oval heads? Yes, the plan is for parents to purchase their own after they begin.

Yep, if you get the style with the dial in the back. You literally crank it down on the little dear’s noggin.

When the parents and kids come to my farm to check out my program before they start lessons, I will let them try on a few helmets from my collection, or others from the barn.

However, I require that each rider provide their own helmets.

I do not want an accident to happen in a borrowed helmet and then learn later that the helmet had been in a fall or been dropped. They are responsible for their own helmet and it’s care.

Troxel does pretty well for that price point.

Another consideration, and I’m totally not trying to ruin the fun here…but kids=lice. Be prepared to treat the helmets between uses. Not just for lice but that’s also a way to spread ringworm and other fungal and bacterial fun, not just parasites.

I pretty much burned one of helmets after my now stepkids used it for a pony ride and we found lice that night at bedtime. i probably could’ve recovered the helmet but I wanted a new one anyway. Now I don’t share. No no no.

For the logo, there are lots of sellers on Etsy who will do logo design inexpensively.

If dealing with a local freelancer $200 - $500 (could be a bit more depending on where you are) is likely reasonable. Of course you could spend thousands on a high end consultant, but I am assuming that is not what you are going for. Prices could be hourly, or a set price/packaged price.

Remember that you will want the file in a variety of formats, full colour and black and white to ensure you have what you need for a variety of uses.

Thanks Toady! Yes I don’t need anything high end for now but I still want saddle pads with it on, business cards and possibly on polos for local shows. For the price I am wanting people to pay, I want to run a good business that looks the part. I feel it attracts higher end clients. I’m not saying that nothing else matters but I want a certain feel to my program.

There’s a wonderful small business called Galloping Graphics that specializes in creating customized graphic designs for horse folk. I follow her on Instagram and Twitter. I love her designs and she seems like a lovely person, based upon my interactions with her–she’s not a personal friend, btw, I’m just a fan.

http://gallopinggrphcs.storenvy.com/products

That’s a link to her ‘prefab’ stuff but I am pretty sure she also does custom designs.

Providing helmets is an added liability no one should willingly take on. Require hard soled shoes and a helmet minimum to get started. If they aren’t willing to invest that little ahead of time they probably aren’t very serious about riding.