Unlimited access >

Tylenol for Old Horse Arthritis & Ringbone Maintenance?

Has anyone had luck with long term use of Tylenol only for maintenance of pain in a senior horse?
Specifically, for ringbone and general arthritis?
Just Tylenol alone and not in conjunction with NSAIDs. I have a retired lawn ornament senior that gets loose manure with Equiox, so I am looking for alternative to NSAIDs.
No riding, just want to try to keep him pasture sound and joint supplements don’t cut it. :frowning:

EDIT: I am working with my vet’s recommendations, and I have their dosage instructions, I am just curious on how effective/useful it has been for others with this prognosis.

thank you

4 Likes

I’m interested in this too

1 Like

We’ve used Tylenol with a couple of horses successfully. Our dosage was 20 500 mg caplets 2x a day. One ate it fine; the other required it syringed, but did not protest. Please ask your vet what dosage would be recommended for your horse.

Thank you for the feedback, and yes, I have specific dosage info from vet, sorry I should have stated that initially :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve only used it in conjunction with banamine P.O.
6h after oral banamine, I dose with Tylenol - also by oral syringe - then 6h after that, another dose of banamine.
Seemed to help & not hard on systems like the banamine.

2 Likes

I’ve used it several times for pain, both paired with an NSAID or not, depending on circumstance, and think it’s a really useful addition to the toolbox.

For a chronic, ongoing issue, I’d discuss regular liver labs with the vet. Not sure there’s any data out there in long term use in equines, but we know in people that it’s hard on the liver.

2 Likes

When I saw another thread I did some googling and have my mini on it now. It was his last chance before euth. He had been hit by a car when with a previous owner, and his hips are shot. What a difference!

I did find this research paper showing some interesting information regarding bloods/liver, etc.

Adding Acetaminophen to Lameness Management Plan for Horses - Kentucky Equine Research (ker.com)

4 Likes

They used it for my horse in the hospital when he had laminitis so I imagine it would be effective. I think you have to be careful not to cause liver damage.

3 Likes

They do have to cover themselves with the last statement. Imagine being able to get pain relief for your horse without a prescription.

2 Likes

Tylenol worked better than bute or equioxx for my old donkey with laminitic changes.

(A different vet has her on 2 different chinese herbs which seem to be working the best of all. However the cost is something like $200/month vs $20/month)

1 Like

I’ve not done Tylenol, but I wanted to say that my gelding gets a bit ulcery (sensitive/grumpy when flanks brushed and girth tightened) when on a full pill of Equioxx daily for an extended amount of time, but if I do 1/2 a pill a day he seems much better in the tummy department and it still seems to help his creaky hocks. I also pull him off of it occasionally and let him go as long as possible without it before starting it again (from a month to several months).

1 Like