Unlimited access >

Types of pads for Western/English hybrid saddle

I have not really ridden Western much, but I have a lovely Western/English hybrid saddle that I want to try with my guy. I am not sure what to put beneath it though. It does have wool padding underside of the seat area. It has English fenders, English billets, and a rounded skirt. It’s a Tucker Endurance model of sorts, brand new. Any suggestions?

I have a flex saddle that is a hybrid, I have been using a dressage pad with a thinline XL pad underneath. The thinline is multi use under english and hybrid so I get my use out of it. And the western gets a little softer feel to it with it underneath. Plus I can wash the dressage pad and so many western pads cannot be washed.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think that sounds good, I will need to get one of the Thinline pads.

The Tucker saddles are an evolution of the British military saddle, the Universal Pattern, first introduced in the 1790s. It has undergone evolution over it’s life and is still in use today in the British Army’s ceremonial units.

British practice, like that of most militaries of the day, was to use blanket folded in layers. This provided THREE benefits. First, “shock absorption” to limit impact loads on the horse’s back. Second, it provided a “laminate” structure that could absorb lateral loads which were part and parcel of equine mounted combat. Third, folded in the U.S. method, you have 24 possible surfaces to put on the horse’s back, meaning you can always have a relative clean surface three, free of dirt or debris. The British actually had multiple methods from 4 to 12 folds. IMO that system still works today when properly used and is a LOT more economical that many of the “systems” sold in the marketplace. Some years back a major tack vendor did some math and concluded THE most purchased item was the saddle pad. It’s sort of the “holy grail” of the tack industry! :wink:

Here is a video of the U.S. folding system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dITB6x4MZ0s

I could not find a video of the British system on Utube. I did find this. https://www.empiretroop.co.nz/folding-your-saddle-blanket.html Best I could do for now! :wink:

You can buy a reproduction U.S. Army saddle blanket here: https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/3028-US-M1908-Saddle-Blanket-Slight-Defect/

The defect mentioned is not a defect in quality but in historical accuracy. I have two and they are a fine product.

The world of saddlepads is like a Persian Market and you can spend a lot to get a little very easily. Proceed with caution!!! :wink:

G.

1 Like

@Guilherme Check out this link. This way of folding makes more sense to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1tXo6th64c&feature=youtu.be

Looks like the same basic system but with a small “roll”. I’m not sure of the purpose of the small roll (I don’t speak or read Russian/Cyrillic) but if you need it for a purpose then by all means use it. That would be just another example of giving the horse what it needs!!! :wink:

With my gelding I use the blanket and, to make the saddle ride more flat, a foam riser pad. It’s been a good combination and has never caused any back soreness.

If the fundamental fit of the saddle is good a well thought out padding can make it great. But if it’s not a good, fundamental fit no padding system can really “fix” that. The best it can do is make it less “not good.” That’s not giving the horse what IT needs.

There is another system used with the Universal Pattern saddle that that is the numnah. The saddle pad made from a blanket is essentially a square. The numnah is more shaped to the contour of the horse. They can be made of many different materials. As a one piece item they might absorb vertical forces a bit better than pad but do not do as well with lateral forces as they don’t have the “laminate” construction. Either should actually work reasonably well with your saddle.

As an aside, the military often used two blankets. The once closest to the horse was for the horse, the other was for the rider in cold weather. A blanket can be carried as a “blanket roll” but that has some ls sues and putting bedding blanket on top of the horse padding is an efficient use of space.

G.

If you google Tucker saddle pads they make a several different shaped ones - some with the longer “dressage” flap that might work for it. You could also try one of the Coolback endurance pads (riding warehouse, distance depot).

I like those, I will have to think about ordering one!

1 Like