Unlimited access >

Ugh, adductor tendonitis

So…

I’m recovering well from THR - it’s been 4 weeks and two days!, walking normally (except when the stupid adductor flares up), doing ALL my exercises and stretches, religiously - P/T 3 times a week for two weeks, and now down to twice a week. According to the therapists, I’m doing incredibly :slight_smile:

I do all of the exercises daily and am getting stronger - recovering function and flexibility - BUT!, I have developed tendonitis in the right adductor - same side as new hip.

It’s pretty clear that my new alignment (as in the hips are now finally even after years? of the right leg being shorter) is contributing to this - and has thrown me out of whack.

I’ve been Googling (of course), and it seems to be common among athletes; a GROIN injury!, or at least under that “subheading.”

My P/T suggested stretching it by stepping out with that leg and leaning over it (which is what I’ve been doing), but though I’m able to stretch my hamstrings now (YAY!), I’m not yet allowed to do a straddle stretch on the floor; I used to do this twice a day to stretch my adductors.

The other problem is that I can stretch my left hip/glute by bringing my knee across my body while lying on my back, but I can’t do that on the replaced hip side because it’s too much torque. As a result, that hip/buttock is tighter than usual (my muscles are very tight in general) despite sitting on a tennis ball, using heat, etc. Apparently this is slightly contributory? Ice, heat, yes and yes.

Any thoughts? I want to be able to get back on the horse at some point later this month, and have an appt. with my surgeon next Friday - he’s going to x-ray my knees - it’s been awhile!, and inject them. I’ll obviously ask him about this, but from what I read there’s not a LOT to be done for this.

2 Likes

i cannot help you very much with a specific hip surgery rehab, but a few thoughts.

your body has to relearn a new balance, as you note. Make sure your shoes are up to date. You might even need to consider a new type of shoe which puts you more into a neutral balance. You may have selected towards a shoe that favored the bad hip issue. Perhaps you need a new farrier, so to speak. I have found the Altra shoe brand to be a huge gamechanger for my foot and leg comfort.

this I can speak to from experience. Dont overlook the possibility of issues with your pelvic floor. You might consider a consult with a Urogynocologist ( not a regular GYN) Pelvic floor dysfunction and cause spasm of the muscles and cause tightness pain and stiffness out into the hip socket and downward. Mine was so bad that I could not even stand up straight. Make sure your PT helps you be aware of your breathing style and pattern during your movement. You can probably find a lot of exercise vids on line which address these issues. Many of them done on the floor often with the aid of a large rolling ball.

You may be having some follow on sciatica which personally I think comes to all horsewomen, eventually.

I have had BAD fibroids which did not cause period issues but really caused buttock pain and pain in the vaginal area which radiated down into my leg.

good luck on your journey. It takes a lot of courage to think forward .

1 Like

Does your PT do dry needling? It’s SUPER helpful for this stuff.

In the end, though, this is a time and strength thing. The flexors regaining function and strength is the thing that really fixes this. The adductor is taking over some of that function, and it’s not great at that.

Improving flexor strength is tough, though, because it’s dead easy to piss off. So take your time, listen to your body, and be kind to yourself.

1 Like

I have no experience in this and therefore no thought to share, but just wanted to say I’m sorry you are dealing with it while you are working so hard at PT.

By the way, I’m glad I took your (and others’) advice to do knee injections. I still have some pain, but I’m not dragging myself up the four stairs from my garage any more, and biking is far more comfortable. I recently took a train trip and was able to get up and down the stairs to the second level without too much trouble.

Hope you find a good solution for this problem.

Rebecca

4 Likes

“you’re doing incredibly” as per the therapists …. And while I guess you’re trying to prep for Burghley 8/31 - 9/3 = less than 100 days away :exploding_head:~ perhaps try to be a bit patient with oneself ?!? :crazy_face: You’re making me nervous ! ! :crazy_face::rofl:

So glad to read you’re doing INCREDIBLY !!! Please be a bit careful !

1 Like