Unlimited access >

Ugh need xxx wide boots for riding

Not my calves but the toebox. I have a Morton’s Neuroma on my middle toe, left foot. Dr says barefoot as much as possible, or crocs,. Crocs are the only shoe I’ve been comfortable in for the past few years, but I’m back working in a barn and need better footwear for winter chores and riding. I also have a huge instep, so pull on boots have never fit well enough to be comfortable.
Maybe a zippered ankle boot?
Am iso suggestions.
I use very wide trail stirrups already.
Ty.

Maybe try the Ariat Terrains? They come in wide and depending on your size the men’s wide might work.

2 Likes

Right, the men’s sizes go up to EE. Maybe that’ll work?

1 Like

Third the idea of men’s boots.

1 Like

I usually can’t fit into women’s boots (and sometime not even shoes). I bought a pair of George Strait hiking boots years ago and used them for everything: riding (they have a heel), doing stuff out in the pastures, driving the ponies, walking in snow or ice (they have a pretty good non-slip sole). I wore them out to the point that the uppers are separating from the soles, but I wore them anyway to the driving lesson that M_al and I took. Otherwise, my only choice would have been athletic shoes.

I’ve been looking on line to see who has something similar, and I can’t seem to find anything that would work for my wonky feet. These are a men’s 8 1/2 or 9 EEEE, and they fit well. Most of the stuff I like doesn’t come in EEEE width.

I miss the days when I could buy cute or functional women’s shoes in a women’s size 7 standard width.

Rebecca

2 Likes

Orthofeet Hunter boots for men come in sizes 7-14 and widths up to 4E. And the tread on the brown looks flat enough for riding. Weirdly, the black and olive seem to have lug soles like on hiking boots, but the brown seems to have a sole more like the Ariat Terrains. https://www.orthofeet.com/products/hunter-brown

I’m familiar with the Orthofeet brand because I use their insoles but haven’t tried any of the boots (yet), so don’t have any first hand experience.

Are they on line only? I hesitate to buy any footwear on line because my feet are so weird due to RA. I really need to try it on before buying.

Rebecca

1 Like

I believe that you can find them in stores. One of our local, non-chain drug stores used to carry shoes for diabetics and I think they carried some Orthofeet styles. But, during COVID they quit carrying shoes/socks/insoles and have never started again.

You might check with orthopedic shoe stores or chains like Good Feet.

However, I live in the middle of a shopping desert. I buy most of my shoes online through Zappos. Free shipping and free returns and unlike many online retailers, I have never had any trouble getting almost immediate credit back on my Visa when I return something. If you decide to try online, Zappos is a really good option.

1 Like

Oh yes, I should have noted that I only wear men’s sizes now. 9.5 xxx wide works ok. I’m thinking of heading over to the shoe maker in Attleboro and see what they have to offer. Ty!

That is very helpful! Thank you.

Rebecca

2 Likes

You just can’t find small men’s shoes on wide widths in brick and morter stores. Zappos and other online retailers that offer free returns are the only way to go.

3 Likes

I just ordered some cute Orthofeet shearling type boots. They fit very well and I just ordered another pair of ankle boots. Usually, I have to buy my shoes 1-2 sizes larger so the toe box is big enough… I have duck feet that are very wide. The Orthofeet Wide fit perfectly, without a lot of slop. They included a couple of inserts, also, so you can semi-customize them.

2 Likes