UK Rider Savaged By Stallion

All that is legally required is stabilization. Which can be very squishy to define. So it’s entirely likely that if this woman was in the USA, with no health insurance and no money, her injured hand would have been stabilized in some sort of brace, and she would have been sent on her way, with instructions to “go to the ER” if it seemed like it was infected.

The impetus for the EMTALA law, which was and is greatly opposed by conservatives, was hospitals turfing women in labor out of the ER if they couldn’t pay, so babies were being born on the sidewalks or parking lots outside.

17 Likes

It was the “the mare jumped two fences to fight the stallion off” that made me think twice. I don’t doubt the extent of the rider’s injuries.

@skydy The photos of the horse’s injuries, I missed. Were they recently posted?

Was the stallion being fly-grazed? No wonder people get annoyed with many travellers, fly-grazing can be an absolute blight to landowners. Imagine how annoyed someone on here would get if Cereal parked his two horses in your hay barn for the night and helped himself to your winter forage.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, this is the age of Munchausen’s By Internet.

I’ve posted this before: The Lying Disease

People have every reason to be suspicious these days. A BBC filmclip showing horrendous war atrocities made the rounds recently. BBC, film, must be reliable. Only it was a deepfake, designed to create discord and outrage towards one side of the Israel/Palestinian conflict.

Don’t blame posters for doing their due diligence.

7 Likes

I had a friend in high school who was thrown into barbed wire while she was riding a very unsuitable horse. She had similar injuries to this poor woman. Plus her wrist looks entirely crushed, which is what I would expect from being dragged by an animal that has teeth and jaws designed for grazing, and not tearing flesh. The injuries on her mare are frontal, indicating that the mare was facing the stallion, rather than in flight. That is one brave and scrappy mare.

14 Likes

I posted a pic of the mare’s scars in this thread. "I think it was about the 6th page on the H&H thread, depending on your settings.

1 Like

I disagree, the injuries look like the mare ran into a barbed wire fence. Those aren’t bite or kick injuries, that’s a fence injury.

Crescent shaped or gash injuries to the top of the crest, around the head, or teeth marks along or under the neck? Stallion. Horizontal slashes at chest height? Unless it was Pony Freddie Kruger - that’s a fence injury. Looks like the stallion put the mare into or through a fence IMHO.

Poor mare. Poor rider.

12 Likes

Yes, saw your post here but missed on H&H. May have just not loaded for some reason.

Due diligence BEFORE making rude and hurtful accusations would be great. Due diligence AFTER making rude accusations is garbage behaviour and totally uncalled for.

That’s the point a few of us are making.

I cannot speak to the mare’s injuries because I wasn’t there, but I do know that the injuries I recently saw of a horse savaged by another horse were not at all what I would have suspected from having seen plenty of single bite and kick marks over the years. There were a surprising number of weird horizontal slash marks among more typical bite marks.

9 Likes

Yikes! Very sorry she’s going through that! Jingles for defying the medical odds and making a full recovery!

I easily believe the part of the stallion attack. I also believe the mare. I may have been sceptical before my first lease horse- an aged grey Arab mare. She was pure piss and vinegar, especially at first but as you worked with her and got to know her she was a phenomenal trail horse who took care of her rider. I’ve known a lot of Arabs that were pretty but also spooktastic nincompoops. I’ve also known a few the polar opposite- smartest damn horses in the whole barn who took care of their riders and were worth their weight in gold. I’ve only known one Arab gelding like that. There’s just something special about a good-minded Arab that might be hard to believe until one experiences it for themselves.

8 Likes

Again , the words I used were " skeptical" and “doubt”. I never called anyone a liar.

I never said she was lying and I never said the images were fabricated. I said I was skeptical based on the images I could see .

I looked through all 11 pages and see her hand/ wrist/ arm pictures with an update but nothing else that I hadn’t seen before.

1 Like

That’s the same thing.

6 Likes

You’re going to need a fresh shovel soon.

9 Likes

I’m always willing to learn: please explain to me where I’m wrong in describing the term “Traveller”.

2 Likes

As per my internet search it is not.

1. SKEPTICAL-- not easily convinced; having [doubts] or reservations.

2. DOUBT-- a feeling of uncertainty or lack of [conviction].

I have no problem believing her injuries were caused by a horse as I am well aware of what they can do.

The way the story was told , with the mare coming to the rescue and despite going through at least 1 barb wire fence, she has just minor superficial scratches to her chest, underside of the neck and nothing on her legs? The picture of the mare was taken and posted 3 days after the accident so I am not making that up.

I am sorry it bothers you so much that I don’t just blindly accept everything someone posts here as true but sometimes it happens. By accident I read this today :

(Quote)" not to quarrel about words which does no good, but only ruins the hearers" ( quote).

2 Likes

Nice backpedal, but that’s not what you said here:

Words matter, questioning the veracity of the post does imply that you think they’re lying.

5 Likes

No backpedaling. After reading the update on the H & H-- from what the doctor said I had no more doubt that a horse caused her injuries. I posted above I had looked through all 11 pages.

You can imply all you like but until I actually say the words it is just you assuming something. What I said is what I meant.

Pictures matter too and yet you don’t address the discrepancies in the one posted.

So we will leave it at that.

There was a thread about uncontrollable horses on here quite a few years ago. I think in the bad bloodlines on racing, but that could be wrong.

One story was a woman attacked by a stud, and her own stud jumped out of his paddock, and galloped to her rescue.

I have noticed that horses often have people who they consider THEIRS.

My kids fed my horses their grain. One day a neighbor came into our grazing paddock to talk to us while the horses were grazing. He brought his German Shephard with him (well behaved, elderly and quiet.)

My Paso Fino mare, usually quiet, got a really ugly face when the dog approached my sons. She hurried over and drove that dog away from my kids.

No dog was going to mess with people who fed her!

1 Like

Warwick Schiller has a video on a mustang (iirc), who was finally trusting Warwick and suddenly started to slowly circle around him.
The horse was putting himself between (protecting) Warwick and a chicken that was crossing the arena. It was pretty funny.

9 Likes