Unlimited access >

Ulcer treatment - any success with omeprazole fenbendazole

Hello - my 5 yo OTTB mare was recently diagnosed with ulcers. Grade 3 both squamous and glandular. I did the 28 days of GastroGard with sulfracate 2x a day, as prescribed by the vet. We were very vigilant in following the directions. At 32 days rescoped and there was no real improvement. Vet has now recommended 21 days of a compounded omprezole/fenbendazole paste.
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the omp/fen paste after GastroGard didn’t work?
Thank you for any insight/feedback.

1 Like

I don’t have experience with using compounded omeprazole/fenbendazole after a failed GastroGard treatment, but my vet regularly prescribes the compounded version instead of GastroGard because he feels it provides better results (anecdotally from his perspective). Before GastroGard/omeprazole became the standard, fenbendazole (PowerPack) was frequently used for ulcer-type symptoms in horses. It might be worth trying and in my experience you can do the same course of treatment for about half the cost of GastroGard.

3 Likes

I boarded with a woman whose TB had persistent ulcers. She swore by a compounded omeprazole with (some type of dewormer) paste - I can’t recall if it was fenbendazole or another type.
That is the only time I have ever heard of it, but she insisted it was the only medication that truly cured her horse’s ulcers.

3 Likes