Unlimited access >

Ultium Competition vs. Gastric Care?

Is there a significant difference between these two products? I’ve been comparing and I’m struggling to find one. GC is slightly higher in protein, slightly lower in NSC (17.0 vs 17.5 in Ultium Competition). Feeding rate for Competition is a little lower (~1lb difference).
Both feeds require a 4lb meal to get a full serving of Outlast.

I’m debating options because our current feed program is likely not going to be enough for my ulcer prone, hard keeper once the horses are transitioned to their winter dry lots (likely sometime in October). He’s currently eating 4lbs of Thrive, plus a pound of Buckeye Ultimate Recovery. He’s out 24/7 on pasture and gets several flakes of alfalfa per day (estimating 10-15lbs). He’s maintaining weight well on this program, but our vet said she would like to see at least another 50lbs on him.

GC has wheat midds, alf meal, soy hulls, and C has wheat midds, soy hulls, alf meal.

For that reason I’d choose the GC - more alf meal, less soy hulls, which no doubt on purpose for the gastric care rationale

4lb will be more calories than 4lb of Thrive, and significantly lower NSC.

2 Likes

Thank you! Were you able to find the NSC and calorie info for Thrive listed somewhere? I’ve tried and I haven’t had any luck. I’d love to see them for comparison’s sake.

Thrive is about 24% NSC, with around 21% of that being starch. There were some independent tests done, as the owner/creator won’t tell anyone, and claims it’s a useless number because it doesn’t mean anything because of how Thrive is formulated (it’s just “whole” foods). He also claims it’s grain-free, yet grain sorghum is right in there.

1 Like

Ugh. Thanks again. I’ve always said the marketing seemed like snake oil to me, but it was the only feed my horse would touch this spring. I guess I should’ve attributed it more to fixing the ulcers and less to the feed. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Ok, follow-up question.

We’re working him up to 5lbs of Ultium GC to start. The plan is to split it evenly between AM + PM feeds. Since 4lbs of Ultium has 1 full serving of Outlast, I was planning to top dress with it too since he’ll be getting 2.5lbs per feeding.

Will it make a difference if I fudge a bit on the amount of Outlast for the top dress? Thinking 1 cup instead of 1.25. Theoretically 2lbs of Ultium has 1/2 a serving in it already?

As long as the total in each meal is a full serving of Outlast, it’s shouldn’t make any difference.

1 Like

This isn’t directly related to your question, but it sounds like you are changing feed to accommodate ulcers.

What management changes have you done, and what therapeutic approaches (GG, UG, Nexium, etc?).

In my experience swapping the concentrate doesn’t go as far in preventing ulcers as an overhaul in management does.

1 Like

For context: He was diagnosed in March with Grade 4 pyloric ulcers. His gastric pH was 1.6 at start of treatment. After talking to a leaser who had him before I bought him, he was showing obvious symptoms of ulcers as early as March of 2020 but previous owners didn’t treat. I purchased him in December of 2020 and moved him from Ocala FL to upstate NY. He had most of January and February to just be turned out because I had surgery and couldn’t ride, so we didn’t notice the change in behavior under saddle until March. He had 24/7 access to hay from day 1. Other than not finishing his feed, he didn’t really have any glaring symptoms until he cast himself in the stall multiple times in early March.

We’ve implemented a whole host of management changes. He’s been on 24/7 turnout. He’s had misoprostol (March-present), and was getting GG too (1 full tube daily for 90 days (May/June/July), followed by 2 week taper this month), with rescopes every 30 days to monitor response to treatment. We just finished the GG taper and he’s continuing with the misoprostol and adding sucralfate until our next (hopefully last) rescope at the end of next month.

He’s had blood work to rule out Lyme and we checked Vitamin E/Selenium levels. He had an extensive lameness exam at New Bolton in March including electronic lameness locator, blocks, and radiographs to make sure pain wasn’t a contributing factor. We adjusted his trim/shoeing based on the findings there and have seen a positive response.

He gets monthly chiro/acupuncture with a DVM and massage as well. I sourced and purchased 3rd cutting alfalfa for him to make sure his forage intake is helping as much as it can.

Long story short… we’re far from “just changing the feed”. The feed question is the last piece of what has been an exhaustive diagnostics/treatment process. I’m aiming to prevent recurrence now that we have confirmed with scope that his stomach is almost healed.

3 Likes