undecided about lumbar epidural, but scheduled for one on Monday!

Yikes!

I know I am getting better-have less pain etc, but the pain has been pretty bad for 6 months now since my car accident. Really want to ride my horse again, and having … with my BF has been out of the picture. I am kinda freaking out about the lumbar epidural. Dr. said she has done 15 thou of them and seen only 3 with neg. side effects. Still, it is a big deal for me anyway to have any kind of proceedure where I need an IV and be knocked out. I know I can still cancel if I am undecided. I also have some issues since 10 years ago I had a bilateral CTR which left my arms/wrists basically ruined. WWYD? Cancel, postpone, bite the bullet? I am hoping for the experience of walking out of there and not hurting at all, like my friend had. I also know that denial is a big river, and there are other outcomes…

My doctor tells me that, when a patient hurts badly long enough, then it is time to take those chances different procedures to relieve that pain are.

Now, if you needed some surgery, so you don’t keep waiting and that make the damage worse, then there is not much question now is better than later.

Since you seem to be needing that procedure strictly for pain, let pain be your judge.
No two injuries or people are the same, not much others can tell you.:no:

Be realistic; you’ll do fine!

I’ve had several and they’ve always helped. Always awake btw! Never needed to go out. You’ll be sore & almost worse for a few days because it takes a few weeks for the full effect to take effect. You won’t have a dramatic change; it’ll be so gradual you might not notice! If it’s recommended; go for the series of usually 3 injections. It’s gotten me thru 3 different herniated discs without surgery. Allows time for your body to heal and I was able to cut back on my pain meds from narcs to just nsaids and return to foxhunting! . I considered that huge. There is an occasional post procedure headache to be sure to FOLLOW the post injection discharge instructions to lay low for 24 hrs. Lay on the couch and watch Olympics! :winkgrin: Stay still.

Make your return to riding gradual, at the direction of your physical therapist, and after some conditioning & exercise and you’ll have an optimal outcome. It’s NOT a curative, walk outa there all better thing. NOTHING is. It helps, it works, it’s gradual. You ain’t gonna get a miracle so don’t expect one. There is no harm so go for it. It’s a good thing! It really helps if the situation is right. But be realistic.

THANK YOU for that positive post! I feel a bit better about it today. I do really, really want to ride again. One of my goals is to get off the nsaids and gabopentin. Luckily I have a TENS unit and time for lots and lots of ice, haven’t had to take narcs but for a few times, but the trade off has been difficult pain. So, onward! I will hope for the very best! And, I will most definitely be mindful of the post-injection instructions.

[QUOTE=wateryglen;4701285]
I’ve had several and they’ve always helped. Always awake btw! Never needed to go out. You’ll be sore & almost worse for a few days because it takes a few weeks for the full effect to take effect. You won’t have a dramatic change; it’ll be so gradual you might not notice! If it’s recommended; go for the series of usually 3 injections. It’s gotten me thru 3 different herniated discs without surgery. Allows time for your body to heal and I was able to cut back on my pain meds from narcs to just nsaids and return to foxhunting! . I considered that huge. There is an occasional post procedure headache to be sure to FOLLOW the post injection discharge instructions to lay low for 24 hrs. Lay on the couch and watch Olympics! :winkgrin: Stay still.

Make your return to riding gradual, at the direction of your physical therapist, and after some conditioning & exercise and you’ll have an optimal outcome. It’s NOT a curative, walk outa there all better thing. NOTHING is. It helps, it works, it’s gradual. You ain’t gonna get a miracle so don’t expect one. There is no harm so go for it. It’s a good thing! It really helps if the situation is right. But be realistic.[/QUOTE]

I will preface this by saying that what works for one person may not work for another. I have had 4 lumbar fusions in the past 8 years - last one in Nov. '08. During that time I have also had 3 different series (3 injections each) of lumbar epidurals, the last series being late Dec. '09 - Feb. '10. First two series didn’t do anything, but that was due to other complications with my back - from the start it was doubtful that they would provide much, if any, relief, but the surgeon felt it was worth a try.

Latest attempt provided relief with the first injection, but no relief with the subsequent two. For all of these, I was awake. Had an IV and got a small injection of sedative, but nothing that would knock you out. Just enough to calm you for the procedure. I would say the actual injection took less than a minute and was relatively easy - felt some pressure and minor pain, but no big deal. Was in and out of the hospital in about two hours.

Recovery from each injection was a couple of days to a week at most. Mostly bruising and pain at the injection site. Ice helped reduce that, along with my usual pain meds. I also use a TENS unit, which did help.

Given all of that, your experience may vary greatly. My surgeon said it’s pretty much 50/50 as to whether the injections will work or not, and a lot depends on what exactly is wrong with your back. I have such a large amount of scar tissue buildup that it’s very hard to hit the right spot.

I would definitely recommend trying the epidurals, as I know several people who have had relief for up to a year from just the first injection. Good luck!

Hi there! Dont sweat the epidural to much. I have had three of these and no problems afterwards. The first two were injected into the L5 area and did some good. Then I went to a pain management clinic and they injected the L5 nerve itself, Piece of cake, but I am a rather stoic person anyway with a high tolerance for pain. I feel they have worked about 50%, Like was mentioned in a previous post, it depends on the person whether the epidural will work or not.

What are you having injected? Do you have a herniated disc? Spinal stenosis? I have a bad nerve from spinal stenosis. Its were the disc is like a stale donut and doesnt have the health of a good disc. So that disc is crushing a nerve. I also take a drug called Neurontin and a anti-inflammatory called Voltaren. I have been going thru this for a year and a half. annoying pain, but I am so used to it, it doesnt bother me so much. Like I said I have a high tolerance for pain.

Just take it easy after the epidural. I try to have these done on a Friday and lay low all weekend. Its gives the steroids a chance to work. Take it really easy riding again. I have now just started trying to ride. Rode yesterday for the 1st time in 6 months. I just walked for about 5 minutes. Then posting for about two. Then an easy canter once around the arena. Told riding time about 10 minutes. Then came home and iced the area two or three times in the evening. Not too bad today. A little sore, but do some of my exercises and loosened everything up. Check out Spine-Health.com. Just a wealth of information.

I refuse to give up riding! If I have to ride with pain, then so be it! I just have decided to take it easy and will work up to what I can. Get a seat saver pad too. It helps with the concussion on your back. Good Luck and let us know how it went! LTK

Had it done!

I bit the bullet hard and went in for the lumbar epidural yesterday. Almost thwarted by 2 accidents on the freeway which made me 1 1/2 hours late!
I did get a sedative. Pretty groggy all day and into the evening, but was clear enough to cross my fingers that the pain did seem decreased. Now, Tues AM and I haven’t taken a naproxen since Sunday!

BTW I have 4 bulging discs, two the worst-currently the loudest nerve patterns were L4 and S1, but closer into the accident the worst was L5/S1. So, yesterday they shot me in both those places.

Wateryglen, my version of the post-headache was that I had to forfeit my morning coffee!

The best part about this so far has been that my SO took the day off work and has been waiting on my hand and foot. The second best is that I am dogsitting my daughter’s 2 cavalier spaniels, who are constantly cuddled around me.

The VERY BEST outcome I can imagine would be to be able to ride again. I am going to do like you, LTK, just a few minutes at first, then increase.

Many thanks to you all for your wisdom and support. It really meant a lot to me!

Islandrider, don’t stop talking your Naproxen!

The steroid they injected is a very potent anti-inflammatory drug to reduce swelling and inflammation.

The naproxen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. The 2 drugs work hand in hand. The steroid will knock down the inflammation and then the NSAID (Naproxen, Motrin, Voltaren, etc) has a better chance to keep that inflammation and swelling at a lower level for a longer period of time.

So keep taking that anti-inflammatory by mouth. When your pain is much better down the road, then think about backing off of it.

Thanks Lindac! That makes sense. I am in perhaps too much of a hurry to get off the nsaids, been on them for 6 months since the accident. I haven’t had any stomach upset, amazingly, maybe thanks to the tums I take with each one.

One thing I am noticing since the injections on Monday is that I am having some VICIOUS hot flashes! The kind that make you throw your clothes off before even knowing what you are doing. Bringing back by heavy duty menopausal vites and sups to try to quell.

Just a bit more nerve pain this morning, hope it goes away.

Hot Flashes

I had that reaction to steriod injections too. I was told that it was the other ingredients in the “cocktail”. It didn’t last long.

I’ve also spent a lot of time on naproxen. I sympathize with your urge to put an end to it. I never suffered any stomach upset either, but it just felt wrong to be putting it in my body.

Misocksgal