Unlimited access >

Undercover footage of Helgstrand Dressage

From Eurodressage:

Helgstrand Dressage has published a press release on 20 June 2023 in which the company distances itself in advance from Operation X, a documentary program to be aired on the Danish national television station TV2.

Andreas Helgstrand, co-owner of Helgstrand Dressage together with the Waterland Private Equity group, issued this pre-emptive statement on the Danish part of his website and Facebook, sharply criticizing TV2’s methods.

“It is incredibly offensive, and deeply worrying, that our employees and I have had our privacy violated solely to create an exciting documentary,” said Helgstrand. “Everyone who has to do with riding horses knows that horses are big and strong, and that it often requires aids. We also use that here at our place. We would have liked to have shown that on TV2. But no one in their editorial office has contacted us in the hope of creating dialogue and understanding.”

Operation X hired a person to work undercover as a groom at Helgstrand Dressage. The person has made hidden recordings.

“It’s uncomfortable because it feels the same as if a burglar had broken into your house and rummaged through your rooms and closets,” Andreas stated. “Regardless of our openness and availability, Helgstrand Dressage is a private company and thus a private space. Neither I nor our employees have to live in an everyday life where the risk of being monitored and filmed by a nationwide media is a built-in condition of our working day. It is seen as extremely offensive and cannot be legal,” he said.

TV2 and the host of the program, Morten Spiegelhauer, contacted Helgstrand Dressage with an interview request.

“Without showing me in advance the material you write at the same time that you have shown a number of anonymous experts excerpts from, you are now asking me for a meeting with the purpose of rolling cameras to show me the material,” he stated. In the press release Helgstrand says, “Before I want to consider appearing for an interview, I ask TV2 to send me the complete raw tapes from the hidden recordings in advance, and when I have had the opportunity to review the material, we can agree on a date for the interview.”

Oopsie.

1 Like

Oh boy. I’m assuming the footage is pretty bad for him to feel the need to come out and try to soften the blow before he even knows what the footage is…

9 Likes

I guess this will end up in court as Denmark does have laws about recording conversations

According to Section § 263 (3) of the Denmark Penal Code, it is unlawful, with the aid of equipment, to secretly listen or record statements made in private, phone conversations or other conversations between others or negotiations in a closed meeting in which you’re not taking part or to which you have unlawfully obtained access.

2 Likes

The videos were taken by an undercover groom. They were not unlawfully on the property.

5 Likes

Access might have been lawful, recording not so much.

11 Likes

I think the point is, what are the recording consent laws there.

8 Likes

The way its written, it’s one party consent.

2 Likes

Don’t they own this board now?

4 Likes

They own everything. The fallout of this could be immense.

5 Likes

As I read the law, it sounds like the groom was OK recording conversations, but not OK on the video? I would doubt the farm would be considered “open to the public”.

But then there is this - and not meaning to be flip. The people who buy their horses are in a way different world than those who will watch some tv documentary on the horse world. Those buyers cannot possibly be ignorant of the rumors/stories that float around regarding use of draw reins and training techniques. But Helgstrand sells very nice, well bred horses ($$$) and I doubt people will stop buying them. Will breeders stop using their stallions?
Not saying what their training is ok - or not - as I have no clue as to what they do on a day to day basis. But there are groups that take video clips or still pics out of context, and skewer the people involved on social media.
It will be interesting to see how this unfolds; the whole planting a spy with a camera is quite weird IMO, and it sure sounds like the TV station has an agenda.

5 Likes

From my googling, it looks like the station did a piece on Helgstrand several years ago, in a positive light.

It seems that if TV is doing a positive story, its likely put together in the light of day. Its hard to imagine an “undercover agent” is looking for good stuff.
BTW I have my own undercover agent; he spys on everyone who goes up/down my street :rofl:

33 Likes

Love that picture!

I wasn’t saying that the undercover would show something nice. It’s just weird for the same TV station to do an interview singing their praises, then a couple years later do this.

2 Likes

Here is the “off duty” picture

17 Likes

This is red flag-ish to me. If I had an undercover groom come to my property and record, I wouldn’t have any hesitation viewing the recording and commenting as there is nothing inappropriate occurring here at any time. I wouldn’t need to prepare some type of justification or response. Does he?

I also don’t like the justification that because horses are powerful, they need harsh aids.

Any links to actual video?

10 Likes

Looks like someone fell asleep on the job!

3 Likes

If someone comes down the street he is up and barking in a flash… :roll_eyes: We think he is part border collie and therefore must have a job. So this is what he does - all day every day.

4 Likes

I think it’s creepy that someone working for them was spying. Don’t care who you are or your practices… my gut reaction is this is wrong and it feels like an invasion of privacy to me; and for that alone, I’m with Helgstrand.

If they are doing something wrong find that out thru legal means… and yes I’m judging from a US legal point of view; it’s my personal point of reference from the culture I grew up in.

6 Likes

It’s creepy and it may be illegal depending on the local laws. But it’s also a tactic regularly used by whistle blowers and whistle blower film makers. I would assume the person was a plant by the film makers from the start.

2 Likes

Well it really depends on what was caught on video.

I once witnessed someone take a hammer to try and knock out wolf teeth on a horse (with no sedation). The horse was fighting and rearing and I couldn’t watch any more and had to step away. Wish I had gotten that on camera at the time. Would have trashed the reputation and probably the careers of a couple people. But it was violent and unnecessary when we could have used sedation and done it the proper way.

I do wonder if the new owners had issues with the horse related to that horrible extraction process. And they would have no idea why the horse acts up😔.

1 Like