Unknown human knee ligament identified in 2013

Hard to believe isn’t it?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/13/a-surprising-discovery-a-new-knee-ligament/?hp&_r=0

If you tear your ACL, you probably also tear it. But it wasn’t known, so those tears weren’t treated.

Seriously? A newly identified knee ligament? After how many thousands of dissections and surgeries, they suddenly find a new ligament? And they couldn’t do this BEFORE my ACL surgery?

I read an article about that the same day my surgeon told me he has no idea why my knee is unstable and gives way because on my mri, my knee appears clean. Given that my surgeon, upon seeing my original mri, said that with the amount of bruising in my knee, I should have torn my acl, I’m really curious about this study. I’m a bit tempted to get in contact with the guys doing this study, but I think they’re only doing research on cadavers and I don’t plan on dying any time soon.

Okay, after reading the actual paper they published ( the link at the top of the article), it’s a little freaky. The rotational force they’re describing the ALL as preventing is exactly what my knee does, and my original doctor and the physical therapist both thought there might have been damage to the lateral side of my joint capsule (If I’m reading the article correctly, that’s where this ligament is.).