Unlimited access >

Unnatural Hair Colours and Dressage?

So, this may seem weird and unrelated, but I’m wondering about my hair colour. My hair is naturally brown, and I dyed it a mid auburn. I’m thinking about dying it darker, like a wine red or dark cherry. Will dying my hair affect my dressage scores when I start showing? Will it cause me any trouble with future judges, clinicians, fellow competitors, or sponsors?

What are your personal opinions on one having unnatural hair colours, piercings, or tattoos in competitive dressage, as it seems very conservative?

My daughter has one of the hair colors you’re considering. She participates in clinics and shows without any comments having been made to this point. I doubt seriously anyone even notices until she takes her helmet off and lets her hair down. Those with tattoos who show in dressage are usually well covered up so again few even notice. Since I can’t even speak to any piercings either my eyesight is really bad ('tis not good) and/or again few even notice. You just have to be neat, clean and tidy with clothing that meets the rules as written.

I’ve done a few dressage shows (and several hack shows) with REALLY unnatural hair colours (electric blue, lime green, lemon yellow, to name a few), though my hair is short (modified crew cut, I guess is the best description). Hairnet to keep the flyaways tame, and I’ve never had anything said about my super crazy hair. They weren’t big shows though, just local dressage club/riding clubs with bronze judges.

I have bleach blonde hair and have had pink in it for shows. No problem at all!
Had green hair for a bit too and showed just fine with that. Had one coach (who was dutch) joke with me I should die it orange!!

Uta Graf showed with her little “wisp” of hair sticking out from under her top hat for a while - I dont think it detracted from the performance, nor do I think hair color will. Especially not dark red.

One of my really good friends used to show dressage with hot pink hair. When she had her hair up and hat on you really didn’t notice it. If you are going for a natural-ish red I don’t think it would be a problem at all.

I really don’t care if people have piercings and/or tattoos on their body (I have several tattoos), but I think that the face is somewhere that piercings (other than ears) and tattoos don’t belong. Since the only exposed skin most people are going to have at a dressage show is the face/neck I don’t think its too big of a deal, most dressage riders are not the face-tattoo type :winkgrin:.

[QUOTE=Thoroughbred in Color;7310486]
One of my really good friends used to show dressage with hot pink hair. When she had her hair up and hat on you really didn’t notice it. If you are going for a natural-ish red I don’t think it would be a problem at all.

I really don’t care if people have piercings and/or tattoos on their body (I have several tattoos), but I think that the face is somewhere that piercings (other than ears) and tattoos don’t belong. Since the only exposed skin most people are going to have at a dressage show is the face/neck I don’t think its too big of a deal, most dressage riders are not the face-tattoo type :winkgrin:.[/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha this just made me think of Mike Tyson on a horse, dressed like Edward Gal with the Glock stock pin and everything - I’m dying!!

It shouldn’t be a problem, I had crayola red hair for a while and no one even mentioned it, Honestly when your hair is up in a helmet people can hardly see it.

[QUOTE=~DQ~;7310491]
Hahahahaha this just made me think of Mike Tyson on a horse, dressed like Edward Gal with the Glock stock pin and everything - I’m dying!![/QUOTE]

I’d pay good money to see that:lol:

[QUOTE=Kimchi;7310495]
It shouldn’t be a problem, I had crayola red hair for a while and no one even mentioned it, Honestly when your hair is up in a helmet people can hardly see it.[/QUOTE]

What about having it in one of those hair nets where your hair doesn’t go up into helmet? Will it be any different?

You should be fine. The judge has enough trouble watching your horse go. She/he won’t even notice the hair or at least won’t be distracted by it. Go for it!

My only thought to all of this is if you have a tattoo “sleeve”, I’d leave the jacket on even when jackets are waived…

I have unnatural wine red hair, and it’s really not noticeable, as you can see here. I do wear a brown hair net over the red hair to ‘tone down’ the color from a distance, and I tuck my hair up into my helmet (no bun) so there’s less to see… but I do that out of personal preference and not fear that someone will take offense to my hair style.

The most embarrassing time for me as a competitor was when I had hair of an awkward length that was too long to completely hide under my hat but too short to be able to really manage. I hated it! And felt really sloppy. I think as long as you look neat and presentable (with no flyaways, if possible), all is well.

Why would anyone think even purple hair would cause issues with a judge or clinician, and possibly influence scores?

It never has and never will. They will look at your skills and those of your horse. That’s it. That’s all.

A friend has very short, egg-plant colored hair. She drives dressage - actually much more conservative a sport. No problem.
Another driver friend just took the blue in the turnout class at a big show. She has black hair with a purple streak in front, and MANY tats. Her show clothes are long sleaved and of course long skirts.

If your behavior and turnout are clean, neat, and professional, no one will care. Honestly, people probably wouldn’t care regardless but there’s never any harm in looking professional if you are looking into sponsors. Personally, someone turned out perfectly with neon pink hair is much less distracting than a brunette on a dull horse with dirty breeches.

Troll.

I think as a competitor you are totally fine, sponsorships and clients may be a different thing. Most people couldn’t care less but there may be a few that choose a more conservative trainer. I have tattoos, but no one would ever see them at a horse show or barn situation. I would also mention that facial piercings can be dangerous while working with horses and so can things like belly button rings. Do what works for you and makes you happy. If people have a problem with your choices they probably aren’t people you want to work with anyway.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7312403]
Troll.[/QUOTE]

At least we’re in agreement on this thread…

As long as you dye your horse’s mane and tail to match, you’re good to go.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7312403]
Troll.[/QUOTE]

Why?

Just a young rider with her new horse…who are not that familiar with showing/the rules in general… no big deal.

OP, you’ll be just fine.