Unlimited access >

Unsure whether to buy horse with melanomas

I have a 5 yr appenix mare on a two-week trial at the moment- I absolutely love her. She’s exactly what I’m looking for and such a sweet horse, we totally click. Had a PPE done (no other issues found) and discovered more about her melanomas. One that was already partially removed on her left hind leg, and has one on her back. Neither bother her, and the one removed was not aggressive or malignant at the time of removal (last year), and has not grown back. She had a chemo treatment on the back one with no reaction.

The big issue is of course the melanomas themselves- she developed them at 2.5/3 years of age. They’ve stayed the same size for the past year, but still concerning that they’re there. I have 3 vets’ opinions- two say if I love her they would risk it, and one says absolutely not (also questioned if it even is a melanoma)

Attached photo of the one on her back, about 2 inches in diameter.

My question- would you risk it in this situation?

1 Like

No. I’m sorry. A horse this young with such notable melanoma in such a atypical place is absolutely not a horse you want to own.

26 Likes

I agree with @Simkie. Buying a grey horse is always a bit of a crapshoot. Some will never develop (apparent) melanomas, but most will. Some with melanomas will never obviously have problems related to them, but many do. And that doesnt even touch on melanomas they might have internally.

This mare developing bumps this young seems atypical and I wouldn’t be surprised if she wound up with more as she ages. Theres no telling if those would also be benign or what’s happening inside. Pass.

10 Likes

Another no given age and placement.

9 Likes

What’s the asking price on the horse? If the price is very reasonable I would consider it. Just know that you may end up investing in vet bills later on and it could come back somewhere untreatable. I know someone with an old horse with them in his mouth (and who knows where elsewhere). But I’ve known horses that have not had them progress (much) over time. I’ve seen 30 yr old horses that are at end of life and at that point the melanomas are much larger and starting to cause issues.

It’s definitely a risk. You can keep looking for another horse and not have the same connection with the horse.

1 Like

I vote no.

5 Likes

Her current price is $12,000, but I considered asking a surgeon the cost of removal and seeing if I could dock that from her price.

Melanoma is not always treatable and a horse developing melanoma in weird places at such a young age is really at risk of developing untreatable and life ending melanoma at a young age.

While there are a few treatment options that can be tried–like oncept–they are costly, and come with no guarantees.

14 Likes

The one on the back looks like it is a very inconvenient location. I guess the question is what it always is with horses….what would you do if she became unrideable due to this condition sooner rather than later? Knowing insurance isn’t going to help with this.

8 Likes

Hard pass.

3 Likes

UC Davis is doing a study on the genetics of gray-horse melanomas. The study is using gray Connemaras, in order to have a somewhat reduced genetic variety.

They separated the gray horse in the study into 3 groups- those that developed melanomas before age 5, those that developed melanomas between 5 and 15, and those that had not developed by the age of 15.

The melanomas that developed before age 5 are much rarer, but much more aggressive.

I have 2 grays, one with and one without melanomas, but I would be hesitant to buy one that had developed melanoma before age 5.

21 Likes

I vote no. Especially at that price. I don’t see how a saddle is not going to irritate that melanoma and create a huge medical mess on her back. Even if you have it removed there is no guarantee it won’t grow back there again. Especially if a saddle blanket is rubbing on it.

10 Likes

this is a very insightful study, thank you for sharing!

Anecdotal : I bought a gray at the age of 13. He had melanomas - a couple at base of mane, also a few around sheath and butt. A chance I was willing to take, and 9 years later, basically no change. One under the saddle, I would not chance, especially in a horse that young.

3 Likes

Small update: I got the surgery report from the owner of the one that was partially removed. Long story short- not great results. While it was not aggressive at all, I read more research papers, and it shares a lot of characteristics with malignant tumors. Literally matches almost every characteristic of an anaplastic malignant melanoma other than a high mitotic count, and doesn’t match the characteristics of other tumors.

That being said, I do now believe hers will become aggressive and cancerous, and dont think I’m willing to take that chance anymore.

20 Likes

So sorry you have to pass up an otherwise lovely horse, but I think you’re right not to gamble in this particular case.

5 Likes

So sorry but I think you did the right thing.

I bought a coming 2yo gray filly. I was present for the PPE. Guess what I found about a couple months later that was missed during the PPE…a flat melanoma under her tail. You had to crank her tail way over her back to see it. It grew fairly rapidly (3/4 inch by 2 1/2 in) and I had it removed after a summer of tail swishing that resulted in the ever present black goo. Now that one popped right out when it was removed and the tail is a common site for them. I didn’t freak out but kicked myself for not being more observant but I was not even thinking melanoma on a not yet 2 yo.

If I had noticed it, I would have passed simply because of melanoma being present at 2yo. That said, she is 21 this year and is starting to get a fairly big burden of them on her tail dock. One is about 1 inch in diameter and maybe raised 1/2 inch. Most are pencil eraser sized. I don’t know what I am going to do about them. I can’t afford Oncept and I am not sure that would work very well on those. I will see what the vet recommends with our spring dental and vaccinations. I don’t plan on getting another horse when she is gone (I am 68). IF I did, it would not be gray.

Susan

2 Likes

A boarder at my barn and myself use Silver Lining Herbs. She has an older Andalusion mare with a few and an internal one (in her rectum I think?) that regularly bursts open and bleeds a lot. She started the herbal Immune Support, which helped a bit. I was talking with a SLR rep and mentioned her horse and she suggested she try their Blood support mix. She just recently started using that as well and she said that a few others that were always opening up are healing nicely and the bad one hasn’t erupted since.

It wouldn’t hurt to call them. The return your call right away, are super nice to talk to, and full of information and stories about other customers.

I’m sorry you had to pass. I know how much it hurts, but you did, IMO, the right thing. All horses pose an unknown risk in health & soundness. Buying one with a known risk such as this is just asking for heartbreak & financial ruin. Good luck with your continued search.

6 Likes

I also agree that passing on this horse was the right answer. I had a gray pony that developed melanomas around his anus in his later teens. They didn’t grow fast at that age, and didn’t cause any problems. My vet said he would most likely die of something else altogether. That pony lived well into his 30s. My situation was very different from the horse you considered because of age of onset.

Rebecca