Unlimited access >

UPDATE #34, he's gone:( Horse more reactive on supplements?

I’m sorry for your loss. I know words won’t make you feel any better but know that you’re not alone, there are plenty that have gone through the same thing and unfortunately you won’t be the last.

Last week I also had my 21 year old put to sleep as he had developed a few different conditions (including being neurologic) but he’d had a recent personality change which brought it all to ahead. He had a moment where I saw him briefly stagger like a drunk on completely flat ground and he’d walk down ditches like a pacer, both left legs together and then both right legs. I was watching him quietly grazing in the paddock and in a split second he started running like a bat out of hell and then stopped suddenly 20 metres later with all four legs slightly splayed out. It wasn’t a normal bit of fun, he had a panic and started to bolt. In hindsight I think it was probably proprioception related.

He too had a personality change and became what I’d consider a danger to handle. He was unpredictable, going from leading quietly like a well-trained horse to being prepared to go right over top of you if necessary. He was on lookout 24/7 for imaginary monsters. I can only surmise that he was in pain or knew his mobility was affected and it made him nervous.

I like to say that we aim to give them a good life but not necessarily a long life, that part is often out of our hands. You gave him a good life and a humane end without suffering, that is more than a lot get.

Be good to yourself and take care.

2 Likes

My heart is breaking with yours. So many of us have lost beloved animals — horses, dogs, cats, rabbits. It is the one of the very hardest things to have to go through. Try to take peace in knowing that he knows you love him and you did your very, very best by him, including making the heart wrenching decision to let him go. Give your other horses huge hugs and take comfort from them.

When I had to say goodbye to Rio, it left me with 3. Rio had been living in the barn paddock for over a year because his worsening injury wouldn’t let him be mobile enough to get away from the antics of one of the others, and it was stressing him. They were all still in the barn together for breakfast and vet visits, so not a total “see ya”, but definitely not living together. When Rio was gone, the 3 were allowed to take their time to visit him, so they knew he didn’t just disappear.

It wasn’t immediately obvious, it took maybe a month for me to start really noticing, but that “antic” guy was both more clingy with me, and more rude with me in his behavior, and he started angrily challenging the 30yo. My mare - normally a happy go lucky full of energy TB - became much more subdued.

the point of that is - I don’t know how your guys were turned out, or stalled, in relation to each other, but just keep an eye out for changing behavior Your 16yo has obviously already started looking to you for comfort (explanation?), so keep an eye on the 3yo as well. I did not at all expect behavior changes given their lack of living together for so long, so it was all pretty fascinating.

I’d say what happened to your guy was pretty rare especially since no bloodwork showed the usual cause(s). But definitely making sure there’s ample Vit E in the diet, especially this time of year, is a good idea.

Again, I’m so sorry, it’s bad enough when they’re older and had a good life, but young… :sob:

SO incredibly sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story and your journey.

@JB The 16yo is totally fine…he’s so independent! He is friends with everyone but attached to no one, so he won’t feel any impact. He was not stalled near Lex and was turned out on the opposite end of the pastures next to other horses (as we have a few boarders here). So his being chatty is a function of I haven’t been riding him the past week or two and I moved him up to the field that Lex had been in, close to the barn (easier than walking all the way out back in the snow).

The 3yo is definitely a bit more lost. During the day he is fine as his turnout is next to an old mare and a different gelding, not near Lex, so when he is out he’s good. But in the barn he was directly next to Lex, and Lex had the ability to put his head out in the aisle and would constantly be nose to nose with the 3yo. I’ve noticed the 3yo is not as settled at night in the barn…his security blanket is gone. Not that he’s being bad or yelling…just not as relaxed. So, I am planning to move the 16yo into Lex’s stall, that way he can keep the younger guy more company at night. Not that I was ready to put someone in that stall…but it will mean the young guy is not as stressed, which is more important than my coping.

3 Likes

Clearly you’re in tune with how they are reacting :heart:

Beautiful picture of you two.
I am so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry to hear this news.
It is heartbreaking that even when you do everything possible to find an answer–and you did–some things just aren’t possible to “fix”.

2 Likes

It’s always hard to lose an old one. It’s harder to lose a young one. “Grief is the price we pay for Love”.