UPDATE 6: Will it always be this hard? Adult ammy and her OTTB woes

Good to hear!

With some horses, it really in incredibly valuable to be in the right program. I’ve always been a “do it yourself” person until my current horse.

That was a disaster with him. We had a pretty serious downward spiral. He was ticked off with me, I was scared of him. Things were not pretty.

I moved to a trainer who knew what she was doing and a formal training program. I went through all the angst of " this is cheating, I should be able to do this myself, how pathetic. I should just give up and take up crochet."

But here we are two years later, (more time than it should have been but I managed to have 2 big stupid non horse related injuries in that period which set me back big time,) feeling confident and happy with each other and enjoying life, and planning to go out and get our bronze medal this year.

And I really look forward to going and riding my horse each day. Which is, after all, what it is all about.

13 Likes

What a difference! He looks so much more relaxed and happy here!

1 Like

I am downright MYSTIFIED y’all. IS THIS THE POWER OF A TRAINING PROGRAM?? BLACK MAGIC??? Whatever it is, I’m obsessed!

My OTTB has been in a true training program for going on 3 weeks now and I am honest to god speechless with the results. I’ve gone to watch him a few times and hopped on him for the first time yesterday and this is a new horse. I’ll include a video for y’all below to see for yourselves, but he is just SO MUCH more quiet and chill and open to anything. He hasn’t offered an iota of funny business. He still has a few green moments (tell me why going straight is such a challenge lol) but he has just been cruising around like it’s no big deal.

for the first time in a long time I find myself genuinely excited to get on and hopeful of doing a lot more riding. I’m trying not to be overly optimistic but I’m even holding a candle for doing a show or two. I just feel totally refreshed about him!

video here

31 Likes

No magic. Good training programs are 10% training and 90% stable management.

Horses thrive around other horses with regular feed schedules, regular exercise and consistent regular handling-same way every time anybody touches them. They know what to expect and what is expected of them. Any correction is immediate and without emotion. Praise is abundant.

Happy, comfortable, relaxed horses are the easiest to train up. Not all barns provide that despite the best intentions.

19 Likes

He looked lovely with you in the video!!! Lots of good things going on.

A friends adult daughter is bringing along her OTTB. For grins she showed in the local division at Upperville last week. He was amazing for a young guy in his first big show!

4 Likes

So agree with this. Consistently good handling does wonders. Also, consistently good handling at a fairly busy barn is even better.

2 Likes

That video was lovely.

The right environment, handling, people, and training can make a world of difference. I’m so glad that you found a training program that has worked out so well.

I think the universe lined up and gave you exactly what you needed :wink:

I hope that everything is still working out.

5 Likes

I don’t know if anyone is still interested in this but the updates help keep me grounded! Here we are, two months later almost to the day, and my OTTB and I will be entering our first show this weekend. We aren’t doing anything crazy, just a beginner’s 2’ class, and I’m excited (and a bundle of nerves).

Over the last two months, progress has felt incredible. I feel like our partnership is significantly stronger and I don’t have any fear of riding him. Here’s a video from mid-July of me riding him. Of course, we still have work to do, but we’re regularly schooling 2’6" and it just feels GOOD.

As a gal in her late 20s doing this beginner division, I definitely feel the pressure of feeling like I should place. Like we should be perfect because it’s embarrassing to be competing against youths. And while I know that isn’t the point, it’s hard to untrain a competitive mind. I think I’ll feel better once we’re schooling, but I"m trying to change my perspective of trying to compete against myself and to just try to show up for my horse and… not for the show. So if anyone has any tips on how to do that (and how to sleep when anxious), I’m all ears!

Anyway – stay tuned for the performance. Fingers crossed it’s just a fun learning experience!

32 Likes

Oh, competing against kids is HARD! They should give us adults a handicap. :grin:

P.S. Good luck, and most of all, have fun!

9 Likes

Lady, you got this!! You two look great. I agree, they need to give us crinkly adults a handicap, we don’t bend and flex like them kids do! I hope you have a blast at your show, keep us updated!

3 Likes

You and your horse look fantastic! I watched that with a big smile on my face. Sending you all the good wishes for a happy show, no matter what! Please update us.

2 Likes

Oh, puhleeze, we love updates and following your story will help many who read it.

Update away.

ETA, I just went back and watched that “round from hell” from last year and, you know, it was not so bad, he very well could have hurt you but never escalated his behavior to aggressiveness. He could have left you in that corner if he wanted. He did no such thing…most of mine would have done the old spin and bolt if put in a stupid, avoidable, inappropriate situation like this.

Asking a green horse and returning rerider to jump around an indoor past a large group of horses at the in gate then down the line away from the group into the scary corner? Did trainer wish you luck? I would have given you a parachute.

Your horse was obviously scared and sought the comfort of the herd, see that one coming the minute you entered. Wish I had seen that last year but sooooo glad you sought out better coaching. The last two videos you posted are the body language we like to see in horse and rider, not the tense pair of last year.

Don’t blame yourself it took you some time to get where you are today, you had “help” from those you trusted (and paid) and they failed you.

7 Likes

OP, I know you’re in the complete opposite of the country from me or I would be asking for your trainer’s name because I am seriously impressed with the turn-around :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh yes, in hindsight, it’s absolutely not a surprise. I was a ball of nerves, too (as I’m sure is radiantly obvious in the video). He’s always been a good boy, even when he is being a basket case, which I’m really grateful for – he absolutely could’ve dumped me in the railing.

He’s come leaps and bounds but I’m not afraid to say I have, too. While he was in rehab, I made sure to get lessons on a more schoolmaster type and with a different instructor and I can’t express enough how big of a difference it has made in my own self-confidence. I genuinely feel very capable with him. I’m thrilled that my biggest problem now is working on pacing!

We popped over a 2’9" oxer the other day and he didn’t even blink!! I’m honestly really grateful I didn’t sell him.

14 Likes

Such great news!

As far as showing - I showed for years at non-rated shows, the pressure wasn’t big. But after I took a break and started back after a few years, even showing at a schooling show had my nerves fried. And then I read Jane Savoie’s book That Winning Feeling. It put the fun back in.

WHELP! Have I got an update for Y’ALL! I’m thrilled to report that my gelding KILLED IT. We ribboned in every class he and I were entered in and wound up as Reserve Champs in our hunter division. I am SO beyond thrilled. We had a little antics Thursday when we were schooling since the staff was also powerwashing the tractors at the same time (fun!) and Friday was still a little up but after giving him some Ulcergard and some ear puffies, he became an absolute gentleman. Saturday and today, Sunday, he was a star.

We went into our classes with the goal of just getting around and executing to the best of our ability – which meant fixing wrong leads and whatnot. I think the judge really loved the way my TB moved because even though we threw in simple changes, we still placed well among a good-sized class! Over all just really thrilled!

Here’s a link to one of our better rounds. To be clear, we were not without error! And I still have personal things to work on too (not leaning into turns! quieting my lower leg!) but man you can’t say that there hasn’t been improvement! I’m so thrilled!!

43 Likes

What a lovely round and fab update! So happy for you!

1 Like

That was a great round! Very well deserved ribbons!

Such a nice ride! I love how chilly you sit, just letting him motor around easy and not interfering. Smooth, quiet and absolutely lovely to watch. Congratulations!!!

Congratulations! What a great update!