Unlimited access >

Update: Bottom dropping out of “low end” horse market

Yup, and it seems to be getting worse with spring here and summer not far off. I’ve been casually looking for one that could serve as a buddy for my gelding and handle short easy leadline walk/jog rides with my almost 5 year old kid, basically a semi-retiree, preferably older. That kind of horse would’ve been a giveaway two years ago, now it’s several thousand. :flushed:

5 Likes

You should come look near me then.

Not seeing freebies but seeing 5K and up for sound, sane grade stock type horses aged 14 and up, of either gender, that trail ride. That same horse would have sold for 2K a couple years ago.

When Covid started last spring a friend said she thought by the fall of '20 the horse market would be flooded with people needing to move out a horse. That never happened in the trail riding world around me.

1 Like

Also in New England, and yes most prices are very high. I haven’t seen a huge price increase for weanlings and yearlings (which I will refer to as babies), unless they are really good show prospects. (keep in mind I am mostly looking at Morgans, seeing prices under 5K and often under 3K for “ordinary” baby Morgans, but well into 5 figures for show prospects.) But you “can’t do anything” with a baby.

I should be looking, because my mare probably needs to be retired sometime this year, but the market is crazy. I am just hoping that in 2022, when I imagine I will be shopping, the horses I find aren’t ruined by inexperienced owners. I am just like everyone else – looking for that safe and sound trail Morgan with a little dressage background. I do not expect to see that for under $10K, even next year. I might have an advantage because I am short, and like horses around 14-15 hands, I wouldn’t say no to an older horse if it was sound or sound with minor maintenance, and I am willing to spend the money for shoes if the horse needs them.

10 Likes

I am seeing a larger # of babies that I’m referencing as part of the low end market. Perhaps it’s just a normal time of year to sell babies but the volume is skewing my perspective.

This is the time that there are always a glut of cheap horses in the market.

Most of the hay dealers are out of stock or running short and raising prices. Here in the Mid-Atlantic, first cut date is May 10th. So the only uncontracted hay available is either poor quality or sky high (or both). I traded 5 ton of last years 1st cut back to my hay dealer the other day for 7.5 ton of this years first cut. He needed it and my hay barn is still a 3rd full.

Pure economics push sales of horses that are not “earners”. Many people buy hay week to week and with feed jumping up 25% or more, it makes half hearted ownership less desirable and downright difficult. Sadly, the auction houses will be slammed full for the next couple if months.

If you are the market for prospects, this is the time to buy. Layups, yearlings, oldies, prospects and horses with health issues abound. The solid citizens and Resume’ horses are still bringing top dollar and selling like hotcakes.

Pretty common trend, that seems to happen every time a drought, recession or political upheaval occurs. IMHO It will self regulate when the first hay cut is baled and in the barn.

8 Likes

:joy: I am in OR so that’s probably unrealistic!

1 Like

Well the upside is I do need a horse. Requirements are pasture sound and not violently aggressive. I’m gonna have a heck of a time picking. So many pitiful looking criiters

2 Likes

Dang it! I was lining up horses for you. Lol.

This! I started looking for a horse around October 2020 in the PNW. I don’t think my criteria were particularly strict, but I was trying to stay under 10k. I saw about 13 horses in person, all were 6-12k, most hadn’t been ridden in months, some were visibly lame, and several were weeks over due for a farrier visit.

I finally purchased a horse in February 2021. He’s a little older, shorter, and greener (for his age) than I wanted, but he’s got a great temperament, is sound, and was in budget!

7 Likes

I know, those ads :unamused: are popping up, you know, horse after rough winter. Scruffy, skinny, big belly, ads. I would love to take a few in, but alas I am at the max for the property now. There are always a couple of bargains in the mix.

Funny they had a big catalog auction here last weekend and the numbers were outrageously high but I can buy someone’s “heart horse” for $800 bucks, lol

1 Like

My new favorite ad line “not up to date on anything due to Covid”

4 Likes

Ah yes… as we all know, vets and farriers simply ceased to exist when Covid showed up!

7 Likes

Yeah I wish. I quit watching the local auction because even there the prices have doubled or tripled for the sad looking ones. I bought a pony there 2 years ago for $350 - nowadays he would have been at least 3x that.

I did find a 20-something pony on craigslist last month that might have been a fit, but he was nearly 6 hours away.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen the" no shots due to Covid" one. Who knew Covid affected your ability to pick up a phone, :laughing:

5 Likes

That’s tough. I feel you though. I’m not about to pay 6k for an ottb with 3 post track rides so…

Shipping from me to you would be crazy crazy high but it was a good though lol

I wonder if the ‘not UTD due to COVID’ is more supposed to imply that they haven’t been able to afford it for the last year vs it somehow not being available…and they are now admitting it’s probably time to get rid of the animal(s).

lenapesadie, I saw an ad for a giveaway w/t sound only older horse this morning, posted at 11pm last night. 18 comments of people interested and was already “sale” pending by 8:00am. Geez.

6 Likes

Gracious! At least horsie will get a good home hopefully.

TBH I have toyed with the idea of selling my 6yo, in part due to the inflated market - but also because he really needs a ton more miles/exposure and I honestly just want something seasoned I can go dink around with (which I probably can’t afford to buy at today’s prices :joy:).

1 Like

Right. I thought I might get a cute husband horse for Mr LS to plod around on, but that’s out of the budget with these prices lol.

I haven’t considered selling my current horse as he’s my forever boy but dang I might could actually make a profit if I did.