Unlimited access >

Update: Bottom dropping out of “low end” horse market

I had that idea too until prices went nuts!

I enjoy my pony, he’s part of the family now and I probably couldn’t let him go, but thinking about how much work he still needs to become a solid citizen seems like a huge mountain to climb, and I’m tired. Probably a topic that deserves its own thread :joy: If I were rich I’d just send him off to a trainer!

2 Likes

Eh. I started my gelding later than normally done and while I heard some static from others, it really didn’t bother me. But I can relate to the “oh dang this is a lot of work that needs to be done” feeling.

1 Like

I would think that could be the case and did not mean to sound flippant. I do think that many of us have done “rice, beans and Ramen” to keep our equine counterparts in the style they are accustomed.

My regret is that I too often see a perfect French manicure holding the lead rope of the horse with the untrimmed feet.

This is not say there are not real cases of financial upheaval. Yes, finances can change overnight but it does seem to me that end of plentiful hay, the mud and misery of late winter seems to separate the “horsepeople from the horse owners” so to speak.

I will add that as I trod around in pouring rain and ankle deep in water last night feeding the boys. I wondered why I have horses. This bright sunny morning, I could not imagine life without them…

10 Likes

Seriously. I’ve been looking for a seasoned trail horse that I can take camping and won’t have a melt down on the side of a mountain. Unless I want to spend high 4 figures, can’t find anything.

3 Likes

Oh, he’s under saddle. He was a fabulously easy 4yo, I rode him in a bareback pad all that summer because he’s a tricky fit. Now at 6 we’re smack dab in the middle of the ‘teenage attitude’ years and it’s just wearing on me :grin: he really needs a JOB to do like 6 days a week, and to go see the sights and get lots of exposure, neither of which I regularly have time for. At this rate he’s going to end up one of those green broke 12 year old ‘prospects’! :joy:

What I’m seeing locally for prices is everything is several thousand more (at least) than pre-COVID. Even this time of year. Almost everything reasonably broke is 5 figures.

@four2farm I agree, in some of the cases it is probably more of a priority issue than a true lack of money. In the midst of the mud and nonstop rain I too wonder WHY I am still doing this :joy: but then that sun comes out…

4 Likes

I imagine with all the people now doing recreational riding vs competing, the trail horse values exploded… Everybody needs a trail horse that can pack grandma safely now. Even the decrepit, worn out and slightly lame ones seem to be going for $2-3k.

5 Likes

@Heinz_57 People do seem to want a fortune for horses “more whoa then go” horses and many are selling.

It is the unbroken variety that seems to be in low demand as usual. Of course with training prices around here running at $1300.00 per month, your cheap prospect won’t be cheap for long, unless you are equipped to DIY.

I used know a horse dealer who liked to sell the lame ones.
" They are less likely to bolt" he said. That is a sales pitch, :flushed:

There’s a registered Morgan on our area’s CL that is everything I want in a horse but priced out of my budget. Then there’s someone who has a QH gelding that, according to the ad, has all the buttons - stops, spins, sorting, cutting, etc. etc. but the horse is lame due to gravel working it’s way up through the hoof so is currently unrideable. How much does he want? $10,000.

Yeah, I don’t know if this is due to more new people getting into horses, or currently riding people just realizing they want something fun that isn’t a lot of work? There is definitely a premium for ‘anyone can ride’ horses, especially ones that have additional skills.

I’ve also noticed the price of trailers has exploded in line with horse prices. Junked out tiny old 2H straight loads with big rust holes are going for several thousand!

4 Likes

I think it is more than that. I know for me the silver lining of Covid 19 was that it gave me time. I remember a year ago I was sitting in my office getting ready to lay people off. It was sad and scary watching my business go in the crapper and sending my beloved employees off to the unknown. The most terrible part was that I had no idea what to do with myself, all that time at home. My pre Covid days started at 5:30am and ended at 10pm. 70 hours a week to my company and the rest to home and horses. Every second scheduled and every listed item checked off.

Once the pressure was off and I had time to think, I decided I wanted to start riding again. I did and am LOVING it! I also know that I will not return to the crazy precovid schedule. I will make time for me that does not involve work. This seems to be a popular frame of mind. Covid gave us all time to reprioritize and rethink some life choices. Just look at the how the ranks of the reriders have swollen. So yes I am a big part of the the bubble forming in the horse industry. The bubble will burst when life attains the new post Covid normal.

I think older riders are returning in droves, almost everyone has more time. We want fun, uncomplicated and safe. Older riders are willing to “pony” up for “solid” mounts but may or may not be educated consumers. They are also very willing to pay for trailers, tack, boarding, farms, barns, etc. You are right, truck and trailer prices are just as ridiculous as packer prices.

I am guilty as charged, I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on restoring a diesel dually, another horse, tack, modern breathable show clothes and now restoring/further customizing my 1992 horse trailer. Mostly because my old full steel Custom Quality Built is overtall, overwide, has a fantastic layout and is built like a tank. The restoration cost of both the truck and trailer would have not bought me an off lease 2500 gas truck.

What I do know is that good horses are still out there, I had to visit a few dozen frogs to find my handsome Eddie. He has his issues but his resume, mindset and education are more than I hoped for in his price range.

6 Likes

Hey there, I don’t think you’re too far from North Florida Livestock Market. They have a hog and goat sale on the second Friday of the month. After all the hogs, sheep and goats go through (it takes awhile) they run horses and donkeys through. We sell lambs there and it can be awful or okay, depending on the months. One month, several years ago, the auctioneer was begging people to take a tired, skinny, TB. The bidding was down to $15 and he kept saying the halter the horse was wearing was worth that. I couldn’t bring him home either, but felt bad, nonetheless. The donkeys we saw last time were fat, healthy, and friendly. They went for over $100 each. If you want to roll the dice, the next auction should be April 9th. It’s cash only. The food is stick-to-your-ribs fried chicken type for lunch. Very good, actually.

Nice people there. They get mad when someone dumps a skinny horse before they open. Sometimes, I think people just stash one in a pen and they find it there. When we were looking at the donkeys one time, one worker was very nice about bringing us close to one very sweet fellow (he got a good home).

5 Likes

@four2farm I’m glad you decided to return! It sounds like you’re in a good place, and I think you’re right about people having or making more time for hobbies. For me as a SAHM, not much changed and I’m starting to feel like I will soon be priced out of this hobby. I’m grateful that I bought my pony before the bubble, even if he is a bit of a thorn right now, but the price of most of the related things has increased SO much in the last two years, it’s hard to see where I will fit in in the future. Even just having a load of gravel trucked in is $$$ now!

2 Likes

@Heinz_57 I can understand that but I don’t think it will last. I think that as the Covid crisis comes to the end, some will drift back out. Bike sales and RV sales have skyrocketed and in a couple of years there will be a glut of those for sale. I am also worried that the same will be true for horses. What people seem to forget is that horses are expensive time consuming hobbies and when the demands of work increase , the horses will go. I am afraid the same will be true for dogs, cats, chickens and goats (which are all experiencing amazing popularity). The market always waves and troughs and we are cresting the wave. You might have to be patient but I think the buyers market will return sooner than later.

8 Likes

I’ve seen this too.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip! I will be checking that place out.

What kind of sheep do you raise? My mom is a shepherdess and boy howdy sheep are high maintenance!

2 Likes

Gravel is spendy AF. I want more rocks soooo bad lol

Tell me about it. We need to put another layer on the driveway, and I need to do the base & footing of my arena as soon as the mud dries… Better start buying lottery tickets!

Guess if I sold the pony I wouldn’t have to worry about getting the arena done :joy:

1 Like

Right. I could have had some nice reasonably priced hobby like sailing or hot rods but noooo I wanted my own horse farm. Lol

4 Likes

St Augustine hair sheep. They do well down here.

1 Like

Nice! I understand hair sheep don’t need traditional yearly shearing. Mom has Gulf Coast Native Sheep. The lambs are very darling. The adults seem intent on killing themselves

3 Likes