Unlimited access >

Update: does this fit ME? Thornhill 24K Event Saddle - gullet plates?

About 3 degrees. Much less than yours.

My stirrup bars need to be well back - forward stirrup bars (so common) put me into a bracing position that wants to force more ankle flexion than I can manage. Putting weight into my heels just shoves my leg forward which increases ankle flexion as I chase the stirrup. That’s a common enough issue with too forward stirrup bars, it just causes more issues when you physically can’t bend that way.

More anatomically correct stirrup bar placement + wide track flexible bed stirrups has almost eliminated the fiddling with my right leg and stirrup. I still have to focus on posture, but I’m no longer thinking about my leg the entire ride.

Ah - I think you nailed my issue. The forward stirrup bar is really uncomfortable - in my next saddle I will be on the lookout for that. Any saddle brands that you’d recommend that have a natural less forward stirrup bar placement?

3 in both sounds un-fun - but at least even?

it is so frustrating to be 4 degrees in right ankle and 12 degrees in the other. My surgeon said that if I did the invasive surgery I’d gain an inch in height that’s how even my legs are due to the ankle joints :frowning:

I’ve had good luck with CWD, this Thornhill, and Stubben. Honestly though I think it depends - brand to brand there’s different models that are built in different ways. I can’t even say that just ANY Thornhill would fit me this well, I had a 2-Phase that didn’t work at all!

I continue to marvel at the difference a halfway fitting saddle makes in comfort and ability to stay in the middle of the horse (a very mild spook and spin is in there, as well as some baby WHEEE crowhop/head toss action :laughing:). I haven’t cantered or jumped in it yet, though.

So, despite my weird ankle and One Horse Amateur With A Desk Job physique, the importance of a balanced saddle for horse AND rider has become abundantly clear to me. Let’s just hope this saddle stays fitting!

1 Like