Unlimited access >

*UPDATE* New here- & a NEW horse with an issue...

She now has a halter on her so ![](t should be easier to catch her (I did leave a short rope on the halter as well). If she would’ve had a halter on her since day 1 I would’ve been able to catch her.
I figure she probably needed some time to acclimate to her new surroundings, me and the mini… so that might have not helped the issue any.
I need to get pictures of her sometime now, when it’s not raining. The picture from the PO doesn’t do her justice.
I’ll also have to figure out how to post pictures on here :lol:

If I am doing this right, here is a pic from the PO…
[IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/chantel5/Haflinger/4-16-16%20Haffie-1_zpsfdvfnhqt.jpg)

I figure a name will come to me once we get to knowing each other (I am not a fan of human names, her previous name was Bonnie & she doesn’t come to it lol).

Thank you for the picture, she looks like a lovely one to have around.

Bonnie was not a bad name for her, but it is you who needs to like her name.
The name that suits you also will come to you the more you work with her.
Horses have a way to name themselves sometimes.

Sorry, I can’t think of a name, maybe others will help you with that?

Oh good my picture works then :slight_smile:
Though his pics don’t do her justice at all. She is much prettier. I will have to take some new ones when the weather permits.
She is really a sweet little thing.
I sorta slipped in a spot of slick mud as I was leading her since it was raining & she just slightly jumped in place.
I’ve noticed she is very alert, noticing things all around her. She seen me coming through the trees & bushes (I could barely see her myself).
The team she was in was Bonnie & Clyde, which seems like a good team name.
I just try to avoid the human names when I can because more than likely if I don’t know someone with that name already I soon will lol. And I already know someone named Bonnie.

Well, I’m glad it worked out. :slight_smile: She’s a cute little thing.

She is adorable.

Just a short thought but if they were riding her in a halter she may associated work with a halter. Now that you haven’t been working her and feeding treats this thought has changed?

Daisy
Lilly
Cinnamon
Dolly

sorry my naming skills are lacking…

^you ![](ight be right Nootka. I don’t know what they rode her in, just from the pics he sent it looks to be right.

Just went out again and she came to the gate before I got there.
I had my lead rope in hand along with my grooming box.
And no treats. Praised her for coming up, snapped my lead rope on and rubbed on her neck & praised her.
Then led her to tie her up.
Groomed her and even cleaned out all her hooves.
Praised on her some more.

Then snapped a couple of pictures before praising on her some more and let her go.
My pictures aren’t the best as I couldn’t see the screen really due to the sun (raining earlier and now sunny and humid as all get-out).
Anyways, here’s some new pictures of her…
[IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/chantel5/Haflinger/Haffie%20mare5_zpsbxvjywnx.jpg)

[IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/chantel5/Haflinger/Haffie%20mare2_zpsngbv9res.jpg)

[IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/chantel5/Haflinger/Haffie%20mare1_zpsyblpzxbs.jpg)

[IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/chantel5/Haflinger/Haffie%20mare3_zpsvyukqlxs.jpg)

What a cute pony! It sounds as if you’ve made some real progress.

I always wanted a pony named Firefly but that’s probably too spicy for her. She looks sweet. Pumpkin Spice Latte?

The right name will come along.

Wonderful pictures, she looks all Haflinger there.

Still no help on naming her, sorry.
Maybe the town you found her, if it is a nice name for her?

She is cute! I agree that she may have been getting used to the place, testing you, making personal decisions. Hope it all goes smoothly or relatively so from this point forward – do come back with updates and more pics!

She is a cutie! I’m glad she finally decided you’re a good human. I was starting to think the best advice was to return her. But sometimes they need time to settle in, and it’s possible they only handled her to put her to work, so she doesn’t associate people with anything really positive.

Good luck with her. Oh, and no trainer in your area? I recommend Buck Brannaman’s 7 Clinics dvds.

Thanks everyone! I think she is cute too. She’s still much prettier than I could get pictures of her. She’s really adorable & nicely put together.
I made sure to keep a calm demeanor around her (though that’s not hard for me to do lol) & talk to her a lot during every process.

My mom taught me how to train, what she called “gentle breaking” back then… not sure if it still exists or what it is called now. But either way every horse I have trained this way has turned out to be an excellent horse.
That mare that I received that was a basket-case was trained this way & my colt I got when I was 10 was trained that way as well… & he was an astounding horse, use to ride him during the annual huge fireworks display with sparklers in hand. I always had wonderful bonds with my horses.

Oh, boy. Been there done that. I made the exact same mistake with my mis-represented gelding when I first got him years ago. I actually went and tried him, but I would not be surprised to find out that he had been lightly sedated when I tried him, because they delivered him, I asked how difficult he was to catch, they assured me it was easy, and I made the mistake of attempting to change his halter in the field. It was 2 weeks later before I could finally catch him.

To this day - he sometimes pulls the “No catching me!!!” game. The leadline around the neck always puts a stop to that.

Be prepared for it to show up from time to time.

[QUOTE=Mud;8628517]

And Cindyg I seen your sig and realized I follow your Oden page lol.[/QUOTE]

Ha! Well, hello! I hope it works out. Those gloves I linked are magic.

[QUOTE=Cindyg;8629503]
Ha! Well, hello! I hope it works out. Those gloves I linked are magic.[/QUOTE]

It’s true. My grumpy old mini practically climbs into my lap when I get out the magic gloves. You have to develop your technique so it’s not too intense for the thinner-skinned ones, but, the chubby furballs looooovve a scrubbing with them. :yes:

Good luck with her, she’s really cute!

:yes:

Halflingers can be great, but my experience with them is they are very opinionated. A barn mate had a mare and she got kicked many a time (deliberately). Her gelding, on the other hand, was just a saint. I think this horse might have been testing you a little.

I agree she probably hasn’t worn a bridle much, if the pic with the hackamore is any indication. She does have a nice expression and you have a good attitude, so I think it will all work out!

One thing is, if you have fear issues, be aware that when something goes south in the training, you may have to deal with your confidence, so slow and steady is probably the only way. Good luck!

Why don’t you name her after your favorite flower?

I have decided to name her Phoenix, seems like it fits her well.

Been working with her.
Starting her from the basics.

• Have picked up all 4 feet (as I have before but just picked them up & praised, then later picked them up & cleaned them & praised) but this time I cleaned & trimmed them with very little fuss.
  • Have tied her for a couple hours with no issues (as long as her buddy Dakota is in view- I assume being in a team for no telling how long has made her buddy sour).
  • Have sprayed her head to tail with a little fuss (mainly around the butt & teets is where she has some issues) with fly & tick spray.
    Sadly, she seems to be sensitive to ticks (1st horse I’ve ever ran across that is) and since I am located at the foothills of a National Forest it is something that can’t be helped. She had welts everywhere… poor girl.
    So I’ve been busy trying to take care of this issue here lately plus trying to work with her a little here and there.

Haven’t gotten much of a chance to even go out there the past 2 days to check up on her. But today when I was out there today to put the hay ring down (those 2 are scattering & wasting more hay than I have ever seen). She didn’t come right up to me (but I didn’t ask, I have been trying to train her to come to a whistle) but she’d come somewhat close and I could see that she had little to no welts on her now.

Sorry, double post. And it won’t let me delete it.

Great news. Keep us posted!