Unlimited access >

UPDATE: New truck! Anyone bought a new truck recently?

I’m shopping for a new truck a little bit earlier than I had hoped, but here we are! Anyone bought new recently? I am trading in my 2019 RAM 1500 and upgrading to a 2024 RAM 2500. I’m not looking for a debate on RAM v. Ford v. Chevy. I’m going with RAM for … reasons. lol. Also not interested in buying a diesel for a number of reasons, but mainly it’s simply not in the budget right now.

I know the truck market has cooled off in the last 6 months or so, but I’m wondering just how much. Has anyone had luck negotiation much off of MSRP? RAM is offering $4500 in incentives right now, but I’d like to negotiate a bit more than that if possible. I have a target number in mind for this particular truck and I THINK it’s reasonable based off of my research, but hoping to get some real-world confirmation.

Also, I currently have a 2H Kingston bumper pull. At some point in the next couple of years I’d like to upgrade to a 2+1 gooseneck. I’m pretty confident the 2500 will be plenty of truck for that, but looking for insight there as well. This particular truck doesn’t have the full tow package, but has all of the important parts - trailer brake controller, 3.73 axle ratio, mirrors, etc.

Thanks!!!

Buy an older RAM diesel, not a new one. The older ones are BETTER than the new ones. No DEF. More reliable.

3 Likes

Yes, in September. I did everything completely on line. I refuse to go through the sitting in an office with a salesman doing the back-and-forth thing while he goes off to check with his sales manager. Or who won’t believe I mean it when I say I am a cash customer with no interest in whatever wonderful financing deal his dealership can arrange for me. I ended up buying what I wanted from a dealership quite a distance from my home rather than locally because they were responsive and offered the best price. They even delivered, so I have never even seen the brick and mortar dealership. I used the build and price function on the brand web site and selected all the dealers that I wanted quotes from.

9 Likes

Yes, I found a truck locally that will meet my needs. Haven’t started negotiating price yet, which is why I’m asking here and trying to get a feel for how much success others have had. I live in the middle of nowhere, so inventory is low. But also, the sales environments are pretty low-pressure and no-nonsense - often you’re outright buying from a friend, which is a tricky thing on its own. Ah, small towns.

1 Like

Given your situation - already picked out the truck, inventory is low, and being locked into a local dealership, I’d say the odds of negotiating any meaningful discount are slim to none. Take the incentive package and drive the new truck home while the discount package is still available.

10 Likes

Got it. I should clarify that I do have the ability to go an hour or two south and comparison shop if I really need to. I guess I need to decide if the convenience and efficiency of buying local outweighs the few thousand I might be able to save by doing that.

1 Like

Not super recent but in 2021 (how has it been 3 years :sob:) I grabbed a new, leftover 2020 3500 gas in the Limited trim - 4.10 axle ratio and tow package, but none of the fancy trailer cameras. I got about 15-18% off MSRP, but this was the February before car prices went wild. There is a Ram forum that has a thread where people share what they are getting off MSRP and from which dealers. I did get my truck out of state - had to drive to MD from NJ. NJ dealers weren’t coming off of MSRP at all at the time.

I’m more than satisfied with the gas engine and tow an oversized 2 horse with side ramp. Only thing to note - I don’t know if they’ve changed this on newer models - unless you get a long bed they can’t do an extra large gas tank (diesels can have an extra large tank with a regular bed). Fortunately my drives are mostly local but a little annoying having a tank 10 gallons smaller than my former 2012 diesel.

Have fun truck shopping!

1 Like

This is what we did too.

4 Likes

You could try the Ram build and buy site, build a truck like the one your local dealer has, and see if similar trucks are available at other dealer, and what their price quotes may be. If you find a lower price you could use that in local dealership negotiations.

I have bought three trucks from a friend. He was my local dealership owner. We evented and fox hunted together for years. Looking back, I think that buying from a friend actually resulted in a worse price. And this was after he told me that if he wanted he could sell vehicles at his cost because his real profits came later through his service department.

4 Likes

FWIW, Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho will deliver throughout the US (or at least they used to) and is always known for having the best prices on the best equipped trucks.
Peruse their site and see what you come up with.

4 Likes

Yes! That’s what I’m afraid of - plus it’s just awkward. I’m avoiding the friend for now. :upside_down_face: She’s technically at a dealer for another make, but can get Rams - it just feels like more time and effort. Blah.

I think my strategy is going to be to go in on Tuesday, get my trade-in offer, and then tell them my overall number. If they can meet it, great, if not I’ll get my truck fixed one.more.time (I’ve said that three times now) and leisurely expand the search south. Hoping they have an end-of-month quota to meet and will just want to move it.

5 Likes

Find somewhere to sell your truck privately first and walk in with cash

6 Likes

Absolutely agree with Annie’s suggestion of selling truck first, shopping with the cash. You CAN get a LOT more selling truck than with a trade-in price. Trucks are hot everywhere, selling well. Dealer can’t give you the better price because it leaves them no room for markup profit.

Yes it is a pain dealing with buyers. But well worth it to me, for the extra (often substantial) difference in cash I can get selling truck myself.

3 Likes

Are there any small privately-owned used vehicle lots near you? I sold a truck through my former long-time mechanic, who eventually retired from that and opened a small lot. He charged me a very reasonable commission for doing all the work – detailing the truck, interacting with potential customers, etc., and quickly sold it for a fair price. He was an honest man (and his wife was a horsewoman; he was always willing to look over my rig before I hit the road for more than a quick haul).

I came out way ahead as compared to trading it in, but didn’t have to deal with tire kickers, worry about test drives, qualify a buyer, or any of that.

3 Likes

There are the CarMax type options to selling your own vehicle on lin rather than trading in at a dealership or doing a private sale. I have no experience with any of them. I am not by nature a haggler so I would at least investigate that route.

Have you used www.kbb.com to get an idea of the value of your planned trade-in?

1 Like

Yep, I’ve kbb’d it (as well as a couple of other trade-in value sites) and also gotten a Carmax and Carvana quote. Carmax and Carvana were identical, the other sites were within range of what I thought it would be. KBB was the lowest of them all, but not out in left field. I did get a trade-in offer on it 6 months ago from the same dealer when I was first flirting with buying something else. But that was 6 months, a few thousand miles, and 2-3 known issues ago. So I’m obviously expecting the offer to reflect that.

I appreciate the folks advising me to sell privately. I know it’s the smartest thing to do on paper, but I also know myself and I most definitely do not have the temperament for such an adventure, especially where I live. I admire those who do!

I’ll give negotiating a shot. If they don’t come to the table I’m prepared to walk and go elsewhere. I just really want my current truck out of my life, like, last week. And I’m fantasizing about the remote start, heated seats and steering wheel on the new truck. :joy:

2 Likes

Go to the RAM forum and see which dealerships are offering the best discounts nationwide right now.

I’m in Los Angeles but I bought a special order RAM 1500 from a dealer in WA because the deal they offered was vastly better than anything I could find locally. They also arranged shipping, which cost me about $1k.

There are a couple of dealers that are always recommended by forum members because of their willingness to offer great discounts and handle shipping for you.

1 Like

We didn’t buy new, but we bought a 2018 F150 last March. There was really no room to negotiate at the time. Part of it was I was looking for specific features + specific year models (to get a specific tow capacity) so that narrowed the field to higher end trims. I did search almost nationwide and got the best deal by doing so by a couple grand but that wasn’t because I negotiated much of anything. All I got was for them to drop dealer add ons. Trucks are/ were selling like hotcakes, esp the gas options (from my understanding) so there wasn’t a ton of room to negotiate.
We ended up buying used but did look at buying a new Toyota SUV in 2022 - no room to negotiate there. There was so little inventory we wouldn’t have been able to get exactly what we wanted like colors + options (which was the whole point of buying new) unless we were okay with waiting 12-24 months which we were not. Not sure what inventory is like now/ which options you are wanting but that likely will dictate how much wiggle room there is in negotiation.

1 Like

I figured I’d come back and update in case anyone else is thinking about wading into new truck buying territory. I bought a 2024 RAM 2500 Big Horn yesterday (1/31). It was a whirlwind, as these things tend to be, but I am very pleased with where I ended up. Thanks again for everyone’s advice, it was all very helpful!

After I looked at the original truck, I spent a day or two researching the heck out of the current market, including posting here for advice. I also consulted Edmunds, KBB, the RAM forums, and the Ram Trucks subReddit, among other resources. Consensus was that the market is cooling and correcting; specifically RAMs are very slow to sell right now and there is something like a 700 day backlog in inventory nationally. Of course, I happen to live in an area where EVERYONE drives a truck and RAMs are very popular. So I took it all with a giant grain of salt and set my expectations accordingly.

I also searched inventory at all of the dealers within an hour or two. I found one truck that was almost identically equipped as the orginal truck; the only difference was color and a couple of minor add-ons I could take or leave. I decided to use that truck as a bargaining chip and called the dealer to get their best out-the-door price. They got back to me quickly, they immediately took $3000 off the top in addition to the $4500 factory rebate, which amounted to $64,250 OTD or about 11-12% off MSRP. The only missing piece of data for this deal was trade-in on my truck.

On to the fun part! (Not.) Armed with a quote, I went in person to the original dealer to get a trade-in offer and see if I could negotiate the sale price of the new truck. They only took $1000 off the top, in addition to the $4500 rebate, but gave me a more-than-fair trade offer on my truck. By my numbers, we were still about $1000 apart. I told them that and after the usual hemming and hawing, they stayed firm. So I walked. Had the guy been a little less typical car-salesman-y I probably would have taken the deal, it was very fair, but he rubbed me the wrong way just enough that I got stubborn and competitive and didn’t want to cave. lol

Whew. Still one more day left in the month to get that rebate! So the next morning I went to the second dealer to see the other truck in person and get their trade-in offer on my truck. I knew the number they needed to hit on the trade in order for me to go with them. They came in low on the trade at first since they had already discounted $3k off the top; I told them where I needed them to be, and they agreed. We had a deal!

In the end, the deals were almost identical in terms of dealer discount (marginally better at the second dealer), but the base price on the second truck was about $1000 less than the first truck (no difference in the two trucks, just build cycle and cost of parts when the truck was manufactured). So it was a better deal overall. They also got me slightly better financing terms, which is almost moot because I hope to pay it off soon-ish. But I appreciated their efforts.

Honestly, I probably could have squeezed a bit more out of them on the trade, but they were so easy to deal with compared to the original dealer I was more than happy with where we settled. They did not try to upsell me on a single thing; I did not hear he words “extended warranty” a single time. They for sure earned my future business with how painless they made the whole experience.

TLDR: The new truck market is cooling/correcting. There are deals to be had. Do your research! I ended up about 13% under MSRP on a 2024 RAM 2500 Big Horn. Buying a new car is exhausting. Thanks again to everyone. I’m gonna go take a nap. :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

not correct, the Ram 2500 is the slowest selling truck in the country with a current supply of nearly Two Years of inventory

According to Shefska, the slowest-selling vehicle in America is the Dodge Ram 2500 truck, with 784 days of supply.