Unlimited access >

Update: Sequestrum/bone chip. Help! Sudden one-sided face swelling?!?

My 9yo gelding was normal at 630pm, at 930pm, he had a gross distortion of the right side of his cheek/jowl. There doesn’t appear to be any lymph node involvement, the area is slightly warm, but not painful or fluctuant. His vital signs were normal, no signs of trauma, and he was eating, drinking, pooping and peeing. He ate a hard cookie with no discomfort. No nasal discharge. His teeth were done in Nov.

I searched and saw a few people mentioned this could happen in the spring with either clover or allergies. I’m hoping someone might see pics and say this is similar (please oh please). Or that it might help someone else in the future.

Since everything else was normal, I plan to call my vet as soon as they open.

Thank you in advance!

We have a horse that gets a round swelling under his jaw in the fall and spring. It is not lymph nodes and we had him tested for strangles, teeth done, all the same as yours. Vet finally just chocked it up to allergies esp due to the time of year and complete lack of any other symptoms. Ours never got the face swelling your is exhibiting however. Jingles and good vibes coming your way!!

Update: Hauled him to the vet clinic this morning. X-Rays seem to show a tiny bone chip. Probably hurt it 10-14 days ago, and now body has recognized as foreign object and triggered inflammation. Call in to surgeon to see if needs surgical exploration or not.

So much for the show this weekend…

Bravo on getting him ‘seen’ ! Jingles & AO ~

Bravo on getting your gelding professionally seen SO quickly !

Jingles & AO ~