Unlimited access >

Updated: Help with underweight OTTB

So I have now had an ongoing struggle to gain weight on my OTTB. He needs a lot of weight put on probably about 400 lbs. He was on stall rest for an injury and had sense been moved to 24 hour turnout with high quality grass. He has also been treated for thrush and ulcers. He gets two coffee can scoops (not 100% sure on lbs) of Purina Ultima and half a scoop of pelleted alfalfa twice a day with probiotics twice a day and aloe Vera juice once a day at night. He has improved in coat condition and feet sense moved to grass but I feel like I could be doing.more on the weight gain side of things. This has been his regiment for three weeks now.

It is also far too hot I feel in the afternoons to have a third eating time but I plan to add a third food time when it cools down. As well as add flakes of alfalfa and free choice hay when it becomes fall and winter

Why is the horse 400lbs underweight?

Your feeding plan might be enough but it depends on why the horse is so thin. Having an injury isn’t necessarily a reason for being that underweight.

He didn’t lose 400lbs overnight and it won’t come back that fast; I wouldn’t really expect a horse to safely gain a lot more than 50lbs/month or so…therefore it will be a few months before you can regain that kind of weight. If the grass quality is good, it might be enough for now, but hard to say. I’d get a true weight on what you’re feeding so you know, and make sure it’s within the range of feeding for his optimal weight.

I’d take pictures every week or so to be able to determine if he’s gaining. Weight tape isn’t a bad idea either. It’s hard to see daily progress.

1 Like

Agree with s1969 - it’s going to take a pretty significant amount of time to regain that large an amount of weight. Slow and steady is what you’re looking for. I’d strongly encourage you to get a kitchen scale and weigh the grain he’s getting now, to ensure you’re feeding at least to the minimum on the bag.

The grass likely isn’t enough forage for a horse in that kind of condition - I would add baled hay now. The heat of summer doesn’t change the nutritional needs of a horse, and one that’s that seriously underweight needs all the forage he’s willing to eat. Also, a switch to TC Senior or another senior feed might be a good way to increase calories. Oil or another fat supplement probably wouldn’t hurt either.

…are you sure 400lbs is accurate?

An average OTTB is probably 1100-1200lbs, one that is 400lbs underweight ought to look rather shocking. That sounds like veterinary hospital territory. My OTTB mare had a salmonella infection in the hospital immediately following a colic surgery many years ago…she dropped about 250-300lbs and she looked like a starvation case…She made a full recovery.

So…I’d recommend having a vet out to do a weight estimate and review of the horse’s health. Might not hurt to pull blood to make sure everything checks. From there, nutritional consult would be helpful.

I agree with others. if this horse is truly around H3 scale, then you are not going to see much change in 3 weeks. Additionally you might not see the full body condition you want until he gets into work and develops muscle

How long OT, and how tall is he?

He needs a lot of weight put on probably about 400 lbs.

What does a weight tape put him at? As mentioned a few times, 400lb off an average horse of any breed is enormous, and would likely put the horse at a BCS of 2 or a light 3. That’s serious and requires special care so as to not induce life-threatening re-feeding syndrome.

How long did it take for this weight to come off?

He was on stall rest for an injury and had sense been moved to 24 hour turnout with high quality grass. He has also been treated for thrush and ulcers.

What was his injury? How long was he on stall rest? What was the ulcer treatment?

He gets two coffee can scoops (not 100% sure on lbs) of Purina Ultima and half a scoop of pelleted alfalfa twice a day with probiotics twice a day and aloe Vera juice once a day at night. He has improved in coat condition and feet sense moved to grass but I feel like I could be doing.more on the weight gain side of things. This has been his regiment for three weeks now.

How big is the coffee can - a 1lb-ish size, or 5lb-ish?

Depending on how long it took for this weight to come off, 3 weeks is a drop in the bucket in terms of getting it back on. Internal fat stores have to build up to a large degree before you’re doing to see external weight.

So, we need more information :slight_smile:

And it would be very useful to get the Ultium weighed. You can do it yourself. Fill up the can, dump that into a plastic bag, and put that bag on a grocery store produce scale.

1 Like

He is 17 hh and probably 400 is a bit of an overexageration but he is definitely not in a good weight. He had a stifle injury and then had ulcers which have been treated. He’s a rescue. When I got him he needed a bit of groceries but from stress of moving he got ulcers. He was treated after it was noticed weight loss and not wanting to eat. (By barn workers) two months of meds and he is back to normal personality wise. Vet has seen him and suggested Ultima as we do not have TC around us. Along with upping his alfalfa for ulcers. Which all have been done. Teeth are fine and fecal came back clean blood was also drawn but she just suggested caloric upping

Can you post a picture? That always helps :slight_smile:

Will you be able to get the Ultium weighed? That will also help a lot. 17h is a big boy and he may simply need more calories.

How many pounds of hay does he eat a day?