Unlimited access >

**Updated** Saddle Cleaning Help!

I have a 2008 Butet I absolutely love but recently it seems on the edge of the seat is getting dust right in the leather. When it dries it just looks dusty and if I clean it with soap it turns into almost a layer of grime. I don’t want to oil it because I’m scared to trap the dust in there. If anyone has any tips/tricks to get it out without ruining the leather I would really appreciate!

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hate to tell you but saddle soap is a sealer. You need to get the dirt off before using it.

Steps to clean/condition
Step 1: get the dirt off
Step 2: condition only if needed, I never recommend oil unless it is awful.
Step 3: soap or glycerin

For a really grimy saddle, I like to use liquid castile soap. A dollop on a tack sponge, scrub the tack, use a micro fiber cloth to remove the suds and grime. Repeat until the micro fiber cloth comes away clean.

You can do the same with a dilute amount of dawn dish soap.

I have also used Murphy’s Oil soap in the same manner as the castile soap. The important part is to repeat the addition of the cleaning agent, scrubbing and wiping away until you have a clean cloth.

I use a really soft toothbrush to brush along the seams and into any creases in the leather. I use another dry toothbrush to buff the leather conditioner out of the seams as those places tend to trap grime if conditioner builds up there.

2 Likes

Do not oil it. Modern leather doesn’t require oil and using it can permanently damage the saddle. Leather is a natural material so, as above, you can wash it with some soap, dry it carefully, then feed it with some quality leather balm and you’re good to go.

Thanks guys! I generally wash my saddle after every ride so I’ll try and get the dirt off and then start just wiping with water. The only reason I have oiled it was because it was extremely dry when I got it so I was trying to get the life back into it!

I use a warm damp cloth on my tack before using soap, to get all the dirt and grime off first, gently scrubbing any areas of buildup. Then finish with a conditioner as needed (not every time).

I second the warm water. On really grimy tack you have to keep flushing with water or else you’re just moving soapy dirt around.
Think like when you wash a really dirty horse with a thicker coat. If you just scrub and rinse,
You’re not getting the dirt at the bottom, but if you keep adding water as your scrubbing, you’re flushing the dirt out.
I’ve seen the saddle cleaners at the Congress walk very expensive show saddles over to the wash stalls and legit hose them down. I’m
Not that brave but they always get those saddles immaculately clean and the saddles are never worse for the wear.

I was going at my saddle with some toothbrushes the other day and wondered if I was the only one that did this :rofl: my friend thought I has clearly lost it, but it works! And that saddle has so many crevices!

My most used materials on tack would be (aside from toothbrushes) a soft cloth, small sponge, and warm water. Where I live it is often damp and leather doesn’t dry out so much when stored in the stable. So conditioning is not needed often.

I would go at it with warm water, if that isn’t doing the trick, then I’d reach for some castile or dish washing soap.

I’d then let the saddle dry and see how it feels. If it needs a conditioning, then I’d do that. When I use leather conditioner I often massage it into the leather with my hands. I let it sit a bit, then wipe/buff the leather to remove any excess.

Then just wipe it off with a cloth or with water as needed. You can also get stirrup covers to prevent dirt from the stirrups from getting on your saddle. Although mine just gets dirty from being within close radius of my horse it seems!

HorseTech.com has their own saddle soap and I love it. It’s hard to explain, but all I can think of is that it is light and sort of elegant when it is sudsy. I have a 20+ year old Albion Original Comfort dressage saddle that looks great. It’s easy to keep clean and it doesn’t need conditioning if I keep it clean. don’t have to condition i

So what I thought was dirt underneath turns out that it’s actual the leather on the seat starting to rub. I’ve never had a saddle do this before and I don’t know why it would other then maybe it is too dry??? I am picking up some conditioner from the butet rep but has anyone seen this before? I’m so sad, I love this saddle and I’ve only had it for 2 months :frowning: If anyone has the secret to displaying a pic I have a picture of what it’s doing.

This is your 13 year old Butet?

I assume that the leather in question is the thin calf skin on the seat and flaps? Unfortunately I think this is the weak point of these otherwise lovely French saddles. The calf skin just doesn’t hold up like the hard full grain leather on traditional saddles. All you can do is not mess with it further, keep the whole thing lightly conditioned, but not soak the deteriorating parts in oil or water.

1 Like

Scribbler. Thanks for commenting! This might seem like a stupid question but I always thought the calfskin leather isn’t shinny so I assumed mine is just regular leather but I could be completely wrong lol

Well, without a photo I can’t say what kind of leather it is. I just know that typically the soft grippy French saddle feel involves a layer of softer leather over the seat and flaps. But all leather can start to wear.

Okay figured out how to upload a picture!! lol This is what it doing. I’ve only had it for 2 months but the person that had it before me clearly didn’t take proper care of it as it was so dry.

My guess is that is where the finish of the top layer of leather has been worn off, perhaps through weather and poor care, or perhaps from mechanical abrasion, such as from a saddle cover? I’ve seen this on other saddles, and it was most definitely wear and age with those saddles. You could try something to seal it, putting an artificial coating back on it to preserve what is left. Something with a wax to it, perhaps?

when I worked with Saddle horses that were shown in harness at county fairs we often had to put the harness into tubs of hot water to get the mud off. This was expensive patent leather harness, there was no damage done

Yes, this looks like a large worn patch. I think it is under the rider’s thigh or sestbone? I think this is just what the soft French leather can do. You can keep it conditioned but once the surface is scuffed, you cannot n really fix the surface. Like when your riding boots get scuffed toes or abrasion on the inside calf.

I expect at this point its really just cosmetic, until you get a hole worn through the seat leather it is still functional.