Unlimited access >

Updated USEF Attire Rules - What Breech Colors Qualify?

I think we have to have a shirt with a collar, but no neckwear. It’s not clear on the face of the rule that a polo shirt with collar doesn’t count - 1.5 expressly says stand-up collar, but 2.1 does not.

DR120 1.5 covers shirts generally: “Shirts and Neckwear. Shirts with tie, choker, stock tie, or integrated stand-up collar are required. Ties, chokers, or stock ties may be any color. If jackets or coats are not worn per DR 120.1.2 and DR 120.2.1, shirts must be without bold pattern.”

Then 2.1 modifies it when jackets are waived:

DR120 2.1 reads “Competitors must wear protective headgear and shirt with sleeves and collar, without neckwear. T-shirts are not permitted.”

What does “with out neckwear” mean?

So is a polo shirt out because of the long sleeve part? Because you can buy long sleeved polo shirts.

I assume men will still be able to wear a dress shirt.

There’s never been a requirement for full sleeves, just not sleeveless.

2 Likes

It looks like a bunch of second graders wrote the new rules. What a confusing mess. I have a friend who is an Olympic-level TD and a pretty high up person at USDF. Write your questions about the new dress rules in replies to this post. I will email the questions to her tomorrow for clarification.

5 Likes

I think modifying the previous rule to not eliminate folks who forget to take off neckwear makes sense–especially for men in ties, or someone who hears the announcement in the warmup ring that coats are waived and slips theirs off but forgets the stock tie. I’d be all for that change.

But I’m confused now. I can wear a sunshirt but not a polo, however the sunshirt needs to be zipped all the way up?

Instead of eliminations for forgetting to take off a stock tie, you’re now going to have a bunch of folks eliminated because they forgot to zip up the last 2" of their shirt before going in the ring :roll_eyes:

I thought that’s what the rule always was. (Never saw anyone get eliminated for it though.)

New wording. 1.5 Shirts and Neckwear. Shirts with tie, choker, stock tie, or integrated stand-up collar are required. Ties,
chokers, or stock ties may be any color. If jackets or coats are not worn per DR 120.1.2 and DR 120.2.1, shirts
must be without bold pattern.

2.1 Competitors must wear protective headgear and shirt with sleeves and collar, without neckwear. T-shirts are
not permitted.

(Note I am not any sort of official, jsut experienced at reading rules…) So the way I THINK it reads (and I have NOT listened to the pod cast yet)…
1.5 refers to shrts worn under a jacket - they need either an integrated stand up collar, or stock tie, etc. Note no comment about sleeves (because they are under a jacket who knows?) This is as it has always been… (well, recently they added about the integrated collars)

2.1 is what you can wear when jackets are waived - collar, sleeves required. Nothing really has changed here. (Except the comment about patterns, in 1.5. I think its up in 1.5 as a warning to riders to be prepared if they are wearing one of the newer patterned shirts under a jacket…

HERE IS the OLD language: DR120 Dress

1. The dress code for all Dressage tests and classes through Fourth Level (see .5 below) is a short riding coat of
    conservative color, with tie, choker, stock tie or integrated stand-up collar, white or light-colored breeches…
    ANd the OLD waived jackets: “However, competitors must wear protective
    headgear and a shirt with sleeves and collar, without neckwear, and without decoration except as described under .15
    below. T-shirts are not permitted.”
1 Like

Under jackets? Or alone? Alone (jackets waived), it has sleeves and a collar. That is all the rule about waived jackets says. (2.1)

says nothing about long sleeves. Just sleeves.

But the actual rule says nothing like that. Polos have been fine when jackets are waived.

1 Like

Yes this is really not cool if you’re showing in the heat.

The rules have been changed. Did you listen to the Podcast?

Without a jacket, polos are no longer accepted.

I have not yet, it is an hour long.

It is just frustrating that if they mean something they should say that something. Nothing in those rules sound like a polo is not acceptable.

1 Like

Yes i agree. You can listen near the end, that’s when the attire rules expert/stylist is on.

I guess they got this info from the convention.

Is there a link to the rules someone can share and I’ll dig through? Im Canadian so not well versed on the USEA/USDF site lol

It might be in the attire section and not the jackets waived section?

Interesting. I wore a patterned Goode Rider (black and white) shirt without a jacket and the judge did not make a comment about it being “bold.” It is confusing to not know what would be considered a bold pattern.

This is another problem with the way this rule has been written. I scribed for a judge last summer that would not stop complaining about a couple of patterned shirts. To the point that they got the TD involved. No one got eliminated, but I don’t know if subconsciously any of the riders in question got a lower score over the shirt pattern. I would hope not, but only the judge truly knows.

• And yest I was very vague on purpose about the judge’s gender so as to not leave any real information about who it might have been.

Judges have their own biases. I wasn’t the only person wearing that shirt at the show and it never came up with either judge. A number of years ago, I got dinged for opening the buttons on my wool jacket after my final salute. It was really hot and jackets had not been waived.

Looking at website like Equizone, there are a number of brighter colored show shirts. With the new rules, this show season should make things more clear, or not.

No I did not listen, nor am I going to. The rules say sleeves and a collar, no T-shirts. Polos have sleeves and a collar, and are not T-shirts. If they want to forbid polos, then it needs to be in the rules, not in some podcast they don’t tell anyone about.

Also, the rule still says without neckwear, so I don’t get where people are saying you can leave your stocktie on, and it says nothing about being all buttoned up!

8 Likes

I agree - the rules do not say “no polos.” But the rules do say that your shirt has to have with it either a tie, choker, stock tie, or integrated stand-up collar. So if you wear a polo that doesn’t have an integrated stand up collar, then you need some neck wear. Based on the rules, that should be fine.

That being said, I think a nice polo should be acceptable. But nobody asked me :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think your interpretation is correct.

2 Likes