Unlimited access >

*Updated with Rad Horse Losing Glue On Shoes - Farrier vs Horse Problem

I agree that the glue ons do not fit properly. I think you are on the right path finding another farrier.

What is the issue with nailing on shoes? Just wondering why you are going to such lengths to use glue ons?

I also expected way worse with the toes than what the rads show (which is great). Only concern I have is the lipping as mentioned. I think the toes look fine based on that one radiograph but that certainly doesn’t show what all the hooves look like. Wondering how the back hooves are being trimmed and perhaps if that is effecting timing.

I do a fair bit of my own gluing and just want to echo that the pictures show a hack job. NOWHERE near enough glue appears to have been used for those performances. And is there any solar glue at all? The Easycare Performance really perform best with a solar and wall attachment.

Good luck with the new farrier, I hope you have better luck! I love glue ons but there’s a definite learning curve and poor application will yield poor results every time.

4 Likes

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, I have questions.
My horse has had glue-ons in the past for a couple of cycles, and they were EasyCare Performances.

But…(here comes the sounding like an idiot part) what is the squishy stuff that seems to be on the bottom of your horse’s shoes? Like…am I seeing it correctly? Is that what contacts the ground instead of the shoe? What is that? Some sort of cushioning? Whatever it is, it seems like it would cause the shoe itself to be much heavier and not to stay adhered to the hoof very well?

I’ve just never seen that, and I’ve seen my farrier put glue-ons on several horses, none of which had any issue keeping the shoes on for the full cycle.

Sorry for the silly question. Besides the cushiony stuff, the shoe definitely doesn’t look like it fits the mare’s foot.

5 Likes

It looks like glue, I was wondering the same thing. Glue or snow. But I don’t know anything about these shoes, so I’m just curious!

1 Like

Yeah, I thought it looked like glue too. But…why would there be gobs of glue on the bottom of the shoes? It’s not snow. It’s not mud/dirt. It…is…confusing.

If it is indeed something the farrier applied (glue or…whatever), I’m starting to see the issue.

I don’t know what to think of those photos…

Have you ever considered doing it yourself?

The 3ds a d octos are remarkably easy to diy.

The glue on the bottom of the shoes was to build a wedge (can be better seen in the X-ray IMO) but I think this particular one was very poorly done (why is there so much glue at the toe when we are trying to wedge/ lift the heels? Why is it uneven laterally?).

I wasn’t there when this one was reapplied due to being sick otherwise I would have questioned everything then.

I’ve tried the Versa Grips with tabs (this farrier took over around when the Octos came out). I had a few issues (application) with the Versas and feel that I lack the knowledge/ ability to really get the best application. I also have a bad back so wasn’t terribly upset to hand off the trimming/ shoeing to someone else (at the time, currently wondering WTF I ever did that).

1 Like

I also wonder what’s all over the bottom of those shoes. I’ve used glue ons occasionally but have never seen anything like that. Looks like glue and it looks like it could cause pressure points as it’s lumpy.
I’m curious too!

2 Likes

Why don’t they use glue ons that are made as a wedge shoe?

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=bea184b0-b767-4765-953a-b29379504636

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. When my farrier made shoes out of glue for my pony (he prepped the foot and then ran a bead of glue around where the shoe would be) he rasped the bottom of the “shoe” to make it smooth and flush with the ground. He sort of finished the foot as if pony was barefoot, taking off high spots.

1 Like

I’ve never seen SuperFast used to make a wedge on the outside of a shoe. And I’m confused why there’s so much around the toe also?

3 Likes

Add me to the list of people that have never seen glue all over the bottom of the shoe like that especially lumpy and uneven and I also echo the person that said why don’t they just glue on a wedge shoe instead of trying to make one?

5 Likes

That seems like a really strange way to create a wedge for the horse. I was wondering if they make glue-ons with wedges, and others seem to confirm that they do. I would think that would definitely be the way to go.

Regardless, I would never let any farrier who thought what is shown in those pictures is okay touch my horse again.

3 Likes

I can understand that. I would love to find someone to take it over.

Add me to that list too. My farrier used Sigafoos and they looked nothing like this. Looking back over my records, I could get 11-12 weeks over the winter when there wasn’t much growth with glue-ons. That’s on a horse that lived out 24/7. New farrier is in order.

Using superfast to create a wedge on the outside of a shoe is absolutely a valid thing to do. BUT…usually there is a fair amount of cleanup done and it’s not so sloppy looking. I am all for function over form, but really question whether this farrier had any idea what they were doing.

6 Likes

You’re right, that is a whole lot of toe and the sizing doesn’t look right. I’d be curious to see the trim that went underneath that shoe; maybe that’s all the toe they could take back? Or maybe this farrier is of the traditional “full fit” style that doesn’t take anything from the top. At any rate, the breakover could be brought back quite a ways.

1 Like

Just wanted to jump in to say that if you do need a spell in boots and weren’t already aware of it, Scoot do a 3 degree graduated wedge pad that can be cut to go in pretty much any boot set up that can accommodate the additional heel height.
It has give but wont compact down like the Cloud pad will (also a 3 degree wedge)
I cannot get anyone in my area to do glue ons and it’s illegal for me to do it so I have to make do with boots & pads alongside trimming when rehabbing NPA barefoot.

2 Likes

I knew about these pads but hadn’t thought of putting them in other brand boots. Duh!

What about the horse that wears boots for turnout and riding and has them off in the stall (not mine but curious)? Does messing with the angles like that have any drawbacks? I’d imagine it’s like wearing good running shoes in the gym vs your bunny slippers at home - totally fine, as long as the “good” angles are the ones you use for athletic endeavors.

I’ve forgotten how to quote, so
“It’s illegal for me to do it”
Your not allowed to put shoes on your horse or are you saying you can’t shoe/glue on shoes for someone else? Are you in the USA?

ETA: Yikes, it’s appears to be illegal in the UK but allowed in Australia.

1 Like