Unlimited access >

US Bred vs German bred - foals/unstarted horses

Today’s horses aren’t cheap.

Warmblood nailed it. Sure you can buy a weanling or yearling for 4 to 10k euro’s but the price to get them to the states isn’t going to be cheap. Plus include the exchange rate because the euro is still more than the dollar.

Are we still at 12k shipping to New York or has the price gone up there too? Theres also quarantine, and shipping to your location added on.

Would you rather be able to go see and put your hands on a good bred us foal or do you want to risk bidding on one, flying it over, and be out all that money if it doesn’t pan out?

4 Likes

You are right - I should have included south of the US for good PREs. The PRE market is tough in the US. Not a lot of options and high prices.

3 Likes

I’m studying the auctions, or more accurately, the results. There is a KWPN stallion auction, 3 year olds, that just ended and only 9 went over 10,000 euros. Not one went over 30,000. I don’t want a stallion, but I’ve also been studying the Hanoverian auction results from last year.

Are the auction horses just average quality? Maybe, but they look good.

I would consider an auction, but I’d attend in person. And while I’d be budgeting for the vacation I would not count that expense towards the horse, unless I brought a trainer, then that cost I’d include for my mental purchase cost.

Or maybe I just go look casually on a vacation and find one 3-5 years old.

As for the import costs, I think it’s like horse shows, it’s the rare person who counts everything included in the cost.

I guess I’m the rare person? Or maybe if you’re not trying to strictly stick to a certain budget it doesn’t matter so much? I dunno. I also look at my horse show costs closely too. Even if I can afford something comfortably, I’m still very interested in exactly where my money is going. I can understand some people being a bit more relaxed about that though.

I think it’s a bit bizarre though. If I ask someone how much it was to import their horse, all in, I’d like to know everything that contributed toward the cost and the final cost (some rounding is ok). By import I mean the total cost to get horse from A to B. That includes vets, ground transport, flight quarantine, stabling, and that type of stuff. Mine was all on one bill, essentially, from Dutta Corp.

3 Likes

With respect to shipping horses from EU to USA, the safest outcomes are shipping pairs of weanlings in a box, or adult started, well handled horses. A filly, or intact colt over age 2 has extended quarantine requirements which adds significantly to import costs. Mares typically are 2 weeks in quarantine and stallions one month and both undergo extensive testing with respect to breeding. Geldings of any age are 3 days in quarantine if not issues arise. Yearlings as a group do not fair as well as typically they are shipped alone and the entire experience can be overwhelming even for a sensible yearling. Take offs and landings are particularly stressful for equines. We learned this from a reputable equine air transporter (several decades experience and lots of repeat business) so I share it for all newbie importers for their consideration. We have followed this advice and have had positive experiences importing. When you take all this into consideration plus the improvements in quality seen in US bred sport horses, take a good long look in USA before you import that yearling.

2 Likes

@SaddleFitterVA - Not sure what you’re looking for but I highly recommend contacting Greenstone Farm in Culpepper. They breed lovely, lovely animals that are very affordable (I’d say underpriced) and are the nicest, most honest people ever. I’ve bought two babies from them myself, and my trainer has had 10+ come through her program. Definitely worth a call!

3 Likes