Unlimited access >

US Vendor for Bomber Bits (and another question)?

Perhaps Bomber makes two different ported snaffles?

How they measure : The mouthpiece of a jointed or unjointed snaffle may be shaped to allow tongue relief. The maximum
height of the deviation is 30 mm from the lowest part of tongue side to the highest part of the
deviation. The widest part of the deviation must be where the mouthpiece contacts the tongue and
must have a minimum width of 30 mm (Figure 121.2). Ported snaffles that do not meet these
specifications are prohibited.
THere is a picture here, but I dont know how to get it on this post. https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/F3p8pgrWgAo/dr-dressage-division#page=25

1 Like

I will try and measure again from the top of the port but I still donā€™t think it exceeds 30mm. I wonder if someone flexed the bit downwards before measuring? Iā€™ll take some pics with it flexed all around, because it does have quite a bit of movement because the barrel is so narrow. Thatā€™s what makes it unique compared to the mylers, IMO.

This is actually an interesting question I hope they can answer. With ported jointed bits, how do they measure - not in the height sense, as the figure demonstrates that, but instead what position the mouthpiece is in. Do they stretch it to itā€™s stamped/design width and then measure, or do they manipulate the mouthpiece? Below are pictures of the difference - both bits are 140mm, one is a mullen so canā€™t be adjusted. When I pull up on the center of the mouthpiece of the barrel bit, making it much narrower than 140mm, the port is logically higher.

I donā€™t believe Bomber makes two versions of the ported barrel, but I could be wrong.

Soā€¦ I finally received a reply. I guess they didnā€™t realize that Bomber does not make multiple port heights in the barrel bit. It is the same exact bit. I sent a follow up - it sounds like the Bomber ported was mis-measured. Reply for TPTB at USDF, then my response below it.

" The bits you are referencing as being essentially the same in your comparison photo and the bit you are claiming is on p19 of the 2021 Annex A is not the same bit. This could be why you have not had a response from staff - I donā€™t know what you are asking either.

The bit at the bottom is the name you referenced but you photo comparison is not that bit.

As far as the measurement of the permitted height of the port, not to exceed 30 mm, no, we do not manipulate the mouthpiece. (And the stamped width is the mouthpiece size and has nothing to do with port height.) If you look at all of Annex A we include a photo (with arrows) indicating how we measure themā€¦. the bottom of the lower surface to the top of the uppermost surface may not exceed 30 mm. I would agree that the two bits you have shown together together appear - without using my calipers or using a tape myself - similar and in compliance. The bit on p 19 shown above is WAY over 30 mm. Remember the ā€œlowest point of the bottomā€ is right at the ring."

My reply:

"The bits in the photos I sent are both Bombers, and there is only one Bomber Ported Barrel bit - they do not come in different port heights. It is the same bit as pictured in Annex A.

If you look at the picture in Annex A, you can see that the photo is taken at an ā€œupwardā€ angle to the bit - you can see up the bottom portion of the connection to the loose ring. This makes the port look higher. In addition, by pulling up on the center of the mouthpiece, you will make the bit more narrow and the port seem higher than what it actually is in a neutral position - hence my question about exactly what position the bit is in when you measure. You can see in the photo in Annex A that the bit is pulled up by the barrel - look at the connection of the bar pieces to the barrel and you can tell that the bit is flexed.

I apologize if this is all confusing, itā€™s hard to describe what Iā€™m asking about.

Iā€™d be glad to send both bits to you, if needed, for clarification. I just want to make sure everything I use is legal, and am having trouble finding anything similar to the ported barrel which my horse seems to strongly prefer as far as being quiet in the contact.

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it."

Another link to interesting bits;

2 Likes

I would love to try one of these. Iā€™ve had one in my cart on multiple times, but I really wish I could go see one somewhere to put it in my hands. I know a poster here swears by them.

Iā€™m getting radio silence from TPTB. Itā€™s close to the holidays though, so I bet theyā€™re busy.

1. The mouthpiece of a jointed or unjointed snaffle may be shaped to allow tongue relief. The maximum height of the deviation is 30 mm from the lowest part of tongue side to the highest part of the deviation. The widest part of the deviation must be where the mouthpiece contacts the tongue and must have a minimum width of 30 mm (Figure 121.2). Ported snaffles that do not meet these specifications are prohibited.

They provided you MAXIMUM and MINIMUM measurements - that means if the bit is taller/narrower than those dimensions (in whatever position) it is illegal.

Thank you for snipping the picture thatā€™s in the rule books.

It does matter what position itā€™s in. I can make any ported bit illegal if I flex it all the way down. Clearly this is not straight forward, as the individual from USDF didnt even believe this to be the same bit. I will post their reply when I receive it.

Again, Iā€™m not sure what gets your knickers in a twist about my posts, but feel free to scroll on by. Or actually add something of value for once.

1 Like

Donā€™t flatter yourself. If you can read itā€™s very clear.

and I understand only 50% staff is in the office on any given day, others working from home.

1 Like

Itā€™s really not, but Iā€™m not interested in continuing to explain it to you.

I can make ANY jointed bit illegal by that drawing if they donā€™t have a standard as to how they position the bit when they measure it. Think, instead of typing, just for onceā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m being patient. Show season is a long way away for me, so Iā€™m in no rush. I understand itā€™s a pretty technical question that I donā€™t see laid out bare in the rules, so additional discussion may be needed.

Iā€™d imagine the easiest way would be to measure the bit at its design width, THEN measure the required clearances. That way theyā€™re sure the bit isnā€™t flexed in any direction, and is in its ā€œneutralā€ position.

1 Like

I sent a gentle follow up reminder, and theyā€™ve asked me to ship both bits for measurement. Letā€™s see how this goes!

Both bits are on their way to USEF as of yesterday.

Interested in hearing the reply. A ported bombers bit ripped my horses mouth on XC to the point of her having to take almost an entire year off for it to fully heal without it re-tearing. Use with extreme caution.

2 Likes

I remember you talking about that. I think the one you were using was the ā€œHappy Tongueā€ or the ā€œBomber Blue,ā€ right?

All horses that Iā€™ve tried in those ^ bits hated them after about 3 rides. The ported barrel is a much smoother shape, and has some movement (itā€™s not a mullen like the other two).

I am normally a bit hoarder, but sold my Bomber Blue and am more than willing to sell my Happy Tongue, as I find them to be entirely useless pieces of equipment.

1 Like

Yes It was both of those she was being ridden in. Obviously Iā€™m still bitter hahah.

1 Like

Totally understood! I donā€™t know why they put the word ā€œHappyā€ in the name of that bit. Itā€™s a $150+ piece of junk.

2 Likes

permanent smile, maybe? Would be funny if it werenā€™t true lol

1 Like