Unlimited access >

USDA Horse Import Testing Issue

I just had a horse finally released from a lengthy USDA quarantine stay. When I was frantically looking for any information I could find after I first got the phone call our horse had tested “suspicious” all I could find here was the Warmblood Import nightmare thread which I’ll admit scared me to continue to pursue further quarantine! I just hoped this may help someone else who goes through this experience. Also since that thread they have now as of Dec 2020 changed the rules to automatically allow the option of up to 28 day further quarantine and testing.
Here is the current and updated APHIS rules which I found helpful to have and could not find upon my own google search.

Also this is a study done comparing various CFT testing antigens which helps explain the issues with USDAs testing.

We imported a gelding who tested “suspicious” for Dourine and was subsequently denied entry. If you look up what Dourine is you will understand my frustration that this horse in all probability could not really have this disease. He came from a Dourine free country which he had never left (until importation) and was castrated as a yearling. We decided to go forward with further quarantine and testing hoping that we would be able to get the horse out.
I also found it very helpful to have an equine infectious disease vet on my side to explain this process and push the USDA lab directly to pursue supplementary testing along with only the typical CFT. I used Dr. Robert Holland of Lexington, KY.
After a long 16 day USDA stay the horse was finally released.
I did find the quarantine center to be as helpful as they could within the rules. They kept us up to date on his condition and he was allowed feed we chose and gastroguard.
Anyway I just hope this at least helps someone who may be in a similar situation in the future. I couldn’t find anyone with a personal experience since the rules had been changed this year.
3 Likes