Unlimited access >

USDF Dressage Manual PDFs

I’ve dug through the USDF education pages and I can’t find any online remnant of it but does anyone know if a PDF of all/most of the 1995 USDF Dressage Manual is available? There’s a training manual, a teaching manual, and a lunging manual, but at best those are sections of the dressage manual and don’t include everything (some of which is out of date, I’m sure).

I’m not sure what you mean by “Dressage Manual”. In all my years I don’t recall ever seeing a USDF Dressage Manual, unless you mean the USEF Dressage Rules.

1995? I’d like to know more if anyone knows.

Is that the one that was in the dark blue binder?

I thought I still had mine, but don’t see it on my shelves. Now I’m going to wonder what I did with it!

1 Like

Yes! It’s like 500 pages and in a blue binder. We have one in our barn lounge but it’s technically not ours (we’re actually not 100% sure where it came from, we have a theory it belongs to the property owner but not entirely sure, my trainer rents the whole facility from him)

It had some really classic names involved with the formation of it - Michael Kierkegaard was the chair of the committee, I think Lendon Grey was on it, Lilo Fore … others that I’m now blanking on

1 Like

I don’t think it was ever available as PDFs. USDF sold the whole binder as a unit, like a regular book.

2 Likes

I don’t think PDF’s existed in 1995. So, unless someone scanned it in at a later date…perhaps you can scan the one at the barn.

2 Likes

Side note; pdf was created as a format in 1993 but wasn’t an open standard until 2008.

3 Likes

Wow! Although 500 pages is a lot, can you scan it?

Many organizations have retrospectively digitized important documents (I worked on a digitization project as part of a large museum and the company we initially contracted did this sort of work as their bread and butter). Which is why I thought it would be reasonable to ask if anyone knew if PDFs were created. With a copy stand this would be less than a day’s work, even less with an auto-feeder. My photographer could do 1500+ images a day with fragile historic, irregularly sized documents, so with a modern book, this would be relatively quick work.

Digitizing this document on my own would be legally questionable as it is copyrighted and fairly recently at that (in the grand scheme of things)

Technically, yes. I have an auto-feeder at home since we digitize all personal documents. Legally? I wouldn’t be comfortable doing so. At my museum our “probably safe” benchmark was pre-war for clear copyright. The 90s are way too recent. And we have a clear ownership too.

1 Like

I seriously doubt that USDF has digitized this unless it was a best seller. Is there not a copyright exception for personal use? Perhaps that would not apply to an entire document.

1 Like

Updated versions of those manuals are for sale at the USDF bookstore on the website. They are also available in Kindle versions.

5 Likes

I don’t mean the lunging, teaching, training manuals. There was an overall manual that included more information

A few pieces from the USDF Dressage Manual are available to members on the online USDF Education Library; but no, I don’t think the publication is available any more. That said, much of the content was reprinted from outside sources and therefore cannot be reproduced without permission from the original publisher. If there are specific items you are interested in, e-mail me at jbryant @ usdf.org and I’ll let you know whom you’d need to ask about permission to reprint. Jennifer Bryant, editor, USDF Connection

3 Likes

That all makes sense, thank you so much!

It WAS a best seller, it sold out the same year it went into print! (And yes, included sections on lungeing the horse and the rider.)