Unlimited access >

Use of Vettec products for shoeing

I just recently had my 16 year old dressage horse shod in the front using the Equi-pak CS product and system from Vettec. My horse has some chronic lameness issues which are kept under control via aluminum shoes, etc. but for his last shoeing we tried the Equi-pak procedure. It made him very comfortable and rideable instantly.:)We put piece of black mesh under the shoe, and then filled the space with the liquid product, which hardened into a nice padding over the sole of his foot.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Can you use it long term? I would appreciate any opinions/input.
Thanks!

DH goes through cases of both Equipak CS and Equipak Soft every year. Therapeutic uses like you describe above, used under pads… No issues.

My own horse has worn pads behind for the past 3 years and has always had Equipak (usually CS, sometimes the Soft) under them. The piece of Equipak that comes off the foot when we shoe him always smells funky but his feet have never been better.

We just did this for my horse this past shoe cycle. He’s due again on Wed. He was having some front end ouchiness and got 3 bruises (2 sole, 1 frog) so far this year (March-May). So farrier decided to do the EquiPak pour in on his fronts. Worked like a charm. He hasn’t felt this good up front in awhile. So plan on sticking with this until Farrier feels it’s not necessary anymore. Which may be never. He goes is plain steel with quarter clips up front. Then rim pads. Then the mesh thing and the EquiPak to fill. Just regular steel hinds and quarter clips.

I use impression material instead because the gun is so pricey and I just shoe my own horses. But I’ve never had issues that a day of turnout before the reset won’t fix.

Another horse here with iffy soundness in front. We use EquiBuild, which I believe is a firmer version of EquiPak, and yes, it works like a charm, month after month. If I try to economize and just go with pads, we pay for it with “off” days.

I had a horse go broken legged lame after a week of equi-pak. Vet agreed she has seen that for SOME horses, it is just too much pressure. We removed the Equi Pak and went with Magic Cushion…horse much happier.

I have a mare that we use the EquiPak on occasionally. For future reference, her packing will fall out with just the mesh fabric. We use a full mesh pad, which works great.
She can’t handle too much frog/sole pressure either, so we don’t fill to ground level.

Thanks, guys!
My horse is still going beautifully with the Equi pak treatment… an added benefit is that the aluminum shoes seem to be staying tighter than usual at this stage in his shoeing cycle… he is due next week. so far so good… no sign of front end ouchiness:)