usef dispensations for back injuries?

Can anyone out there tell me if there are specific rules for USEF dispensations for sitting trot? Thanks!!

Yes, people with “measurable, permanent disabilities” can get dispensations to sit the trot. You have to apply for a dispensation certificate and pass the review process for that to happen.

thank you!!:slight_smile:

Does it work the other way? You can do the posting but not the sitting?

It’s a dispensation. It works whatever way you need it to work to accommodate your disability – you need to sit, you need to rise, whatever. But you need to apply for the dispensation and have reviewers agree that you need it.

I have an incomplete spinal cord injury at the low thoracic level and sitting the trot (or even the canter) sometimes causes extreme compression that is excruciatingly painful and causes complete numbness and paralysis in my entire left leg. I am already internationally classified as a Grade IV, Profile 19b and have the option of sitting or posting the trot in the PE classes.

I applied for a dispensation to have the same option for Training Level through Fourth and it was granted. As it turns out, I have sat all the trot work in competions as I find it easier to get my horse through the back, but while working at home (for longer than the 6 or 7 minutes I ride a test), I often give my back a break by posting the trot for several short periods of time during a riding session.

My understanding is that if you have solid, documented medical reasons for your request, you have a reasonable chance of getting it granted by the committee.