Unlimited access >

USEF Medal Final Live Stream, Sunday, 10/17 @ 7:00AM

Per your request.

From the USEF rule book:

EQ 106.6. When showing in the Hunter/Jumping Seat Equitation section it is recommended that riders use traditional stainless steel stirrup irons that promote proper position of the foot in the iron as well as a correct leg position. It is further recommended that riders use stirrup irons that allow judges a clear and unobstructed view of the position of the foot in the stirrup. Judges may not eliminate a rider for using a particular style of stirrup iron. (Exception: see EQ101.4)

1 Like

Ok, that was my understanding of the rule. Diane stated that the rule book called for ā€œStubben ironsā€. I thought maybe she meant silver, but she kept saying Stubben. No mention of brand in the rule.

Isabel Rudaz just laid down a lovely, forward trip. So confident and efficient.

2 Likes

Stubben makes nice fillis irons, I think itā€™s a Kleenex/tissue thing. Stubben is the only brand of fillis irons Iā€™ve seen carried at high end tack shops. But it is confusing. Youā€™d think with her ā€˜love of traditionā€™ sheā€™d say fillis irons!

2 Likes

The commentary wasnā€™t a fan of Alexa Leongā€™s turn to the last line, but I actually quite liked it. Whereas some of the other riders have sort of spun off the diagonal and come in to the first fence of that line on a bit of an angle, I liked that she took an extra step in the turn to square up the haunches and shoulders and come at it straight. Did someone see it differently than I did to give some insight on why Diane might have had that perspective?

I agree! You could tell she needed to wait when she was coming around the turn, she realized, and executed keeping straightness and impulsion while smoothly adding in another step. I wish they were showing that line from a different angle though. They showed it from behind once.

I kind of wish they would show it from just one spot in the ring, preferably near the judges, instead of changing camera angles all the time. If you were there in person, you would only see it from one angle.

But Iā€™m not going to complain too much about the free life feed. Iā€™m glad to have the chance to watch at all! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Speaking of seasoned pros who have been around the Eq a whileā€¦ Finnick and Zayna Rizvi with a beautiful trip.

2 Likes

Zayna Rizvi was quite good.

I believe she is one of the handful in the class today who is already showing in the Grand Prix classes as well as the equitation.

Two observations/opinions about tack.

First, I think that now that we have the synthetic or leather boots that have a Velcro or other non-buckle closure, that makes a nicer picture than the leather boots with multiple straps coming across a white leg. And I bet theyā€™re much easier to clean than when grit gets into those little roller buckles. Hereā€™s to evolving our materials. :slight_smile:

Second, if you are wearing a fleece pad and two different half pads on top, your saddle doesnā€™t fit.

3 Likes

Does anyone know why they arenā€™t following the order of go listed on the PNHS website? They mostly are, but occasionally bounce around. (Ellie Dupuis who just went was listed 77th there but she went around 86th)

My guess is a pulled shoe? She was mid-70s in the order so that probably gave enough time for the farrier to tack the shoe back on and for her to get warmed up again.

2 Likes

And literally just now the announcer explained that one trainer had a bunch of riders that all got spots back to back so the trainer was given some extra time to give the kids 1 on 1 attention. Thanks yall!

1 Like

Oh, they just explained it on the feed. Trainer had several students within about 6 spots in the draw so they shuffled to give each rider more time with trainer in the warmup.

A lost shoe would be the most typical explanation for going out of order.

But Oliver Kennedy just commented that they adjusted the order a little bit to accommodate a trainer who had a couple of kids very close together in the original posted order. The order of go for these classes is drawn at random, but they still want to give everybody a fair shot to prepare properly.

Diane Carney may not always get it right and I can see where the commentary may annoy some but, as a struggling returning rider who doesnā€™t always recognize what sheā€™s seeing, Iā€™m grateful for the all-day clinic. Iā€™ll take the nonsense filler as the price of the rest. Iā€™ll probably even buy Geoffā€™s book :slightly_smiling_face: Iā€™m also always amazed at how good many of the former winners are at commentating.
Not for the first time, though, I find myself wishing for an overhead view, at least briefly, of the course to orientate myself. Thanks for resharing the diagram upstream!

1 Like

They always seem to do an excellent job, and itā€™s always fun to have the perspective of somebody who has actually won the class.

I will say I like this yearā€™s approach a bit better, where they had TJ Oā€™Mara, the class winner from five years ago.

I think it is asking a lot of the kids who are still doing the equitation to come back the following year and do the commentary on their peers, when they might be showing against those same kids at the next final in a week or two.

1 Like

I would like to give the groomā€™s award to whomever prepared Kaskade. She looks plush like black velvet.

3 Likes

Whew, lovely round by Catalina Peralta!

2 Likes

Luke Jensen put together a really nice round. I especially liked his track over the Swedish. Dead straight over the center of the fence.

2 Likes