Unlimited access >

USEF process?

I am on the waiting list. My last coach (who was the Pony Club/USEF coach in the area) moved out of state and left the team in the hands of another coach who had a waiting list before she was handed all of us :sweat_smile: so weā€™ll see if that ever happens, there are no other jumping coaches in the area but I will be moving in the next two years to a much more competitive area that has great coaches and training stables. Iā€™m very excited.

1 Like

Are there really no other jump coaches?

I was quite familiar with an overview of the kiddie and low level ammie barns and programs in my area (the crossrsils to 2 foot 9 world). Then one day I got to watch some folks warming up for Spruce Meadows at the 4 foot height on a private turf course. I realized there was a whole other level of coach and horse and rider that was invisible from my place in the world, didnā€™t deal with beginners or kids, etc. Do you know for sure this doesnā€™t exist?

3 Likes

For sure in my area. The place Iā€™m moving to will have them but where Iā€™m at now is like right in the thick of barrel racing country. Even the barns weā€™d practice at were technically western. The English community here is very small. Hence why there is a lot of pressure on the one professional coach.

A good place to start is getting a solid idea of your horseā€™s competition record. You can see where it showed and at what heights/shows it was competitive. If you have a USEF membership and know its USEF number or its show name you can search for it yourself. If not I can do it for you if you want to message the name to me privately.

2 Likes

Is that Young Riderā€™s aged 18-21 or EAP? Iā€™m not finding that for YR. Do you have a link for info? Thanks

Iā€™m not sure exactly where the OP is located but when we were in Omaha, I got the impression that higher level jumping instructors were scarce. As in maybe one person, in a four hour drive radius. I had a friend that hauled hours from Nebraska to Colorado, as example. Could of changed since.

1 Like

Those are the specs for EAP. Which you can apparently do up to 25 now, OP, so that may be something to aim for in a year or two.

Are you going to college outside your immediate area, to somewhere you might have an opportunity to work with an IHSA program or a trainer with an opening?

For reference, I believe that Jessie Springsteen was already training at the grand prix level in Europe by her early amateur years. McClain also was doing the grand prix by the time he was out of his junior years. Itā€™s a long road with a large wallet or some serious sponsorship backing required, and I admire your drive and ambition, but donā€™t rush too far ahead and just get the basics and enjoy the experience of the jumpers rather than fast-tracking to try to qualify for a world class event. EAP is a great way to get started, as well as researching some of the big name trainers and see if theyā€™re doing clinics anywhere near you. If you have the capability of shipping out, look into neighboring areas and try to ship in for weekend clinics to get opinions on your level and your horseā€™s scope from pros that have been there, done that.
Lastly, if you have winters off or the opportunity to take a month or 2 break in winter, look into working student positions at Thermal, WEF, WEC, or HITS. Working and riding at the big winter circuits will give you a taste of the money and competition that youā€™ll face on your journey. Good luck!
Also, this forum is a great resource for suggestions for trainers and barns that could assist you. If you offer up your general location, you may uncover someone that knows a trainer in the area that can help or one that may be moving close to you soon! Just a thought!

The first time I heard about Jessica Springsteen, was watching a Spruce Meadows Masters Grand Prix, and she was in her first year or two of Adults according to the announcers. She didnā€™t place but had a very competent ride. They panned over the audience and there was BRUCE!!! I am very proud that my record collection helped in a tiny way to fund an Olympic show jumper, never saw that coming in 1977!!!

She was a top junior with unlimited money behind her, and parents that know how to do a job and clearly raised her right. And clearly talented, with excellent coaching.

She wasnā€™t doing 2 foot 9 without a coach in cowboy country at age 18.

At the same time, having a youth thatā€™s much more DIY gives you some real strengths and skills that last you a lifetime too. If I were OP I would log as much time in the saddle as possible, perfect my two point and no stirrups work. Iā€™d also take advantage of any good western style ground work or colt starting instruction or clinics.

In general Western World is way ahead of English or Pony Club on groundwork and problem solving. Very often, jumper and dressage trainers donā€™t have really deep foundations in this. Donā€™t go down the natural horsemanship rabbit hole, but if you understand some of it you will be much better prepared to deal with an English horse having a meltdown.

Put yourself in the best position to benefit from moving to a place with good coaches.

If you know you have fitness issues whether stamina or flexibility or upper body stability, start an off horse fitness program that addresses that.

2 Likes

Callan Solem has had opportunities to ride for the US, although she has not been selected for an Olympic Team (but was close, for Rio). I competed against her quite a bit as a junior, and she was a top rider especially in the equitation, but lacked the big bucks to achieve all of her goals or ā€œget noticedā€ on a broad scale. This letter in the Chronicle details what it took for her as a developing pro to get to where sheā€™s gotten. I remember studying abroad as a graduate student and seeing her represent the US on Eurosport tv and being very happy to see her accomplishment.

How did you find your current horses? Did you have a trainer help you? What level was your mare showing at (what is ā€œhigh levelā€)? Itā€™s a long road from showing at 2ā€™ to showing at 1.60m, and you will need a good coach and good horses (including ideally some horses you are not training yourselfā€“ones that can teach you also), and all of that generally takes a mix of talent, very hard work, and a lot of money.

3 Likes