Unlimited access >

USEF process?

Hey guys, hoping someone can answer some of my questions about the process a rider goes through to get to being on the US jumping team. I know, big dreams, but that is the kind of person I am. I have always been interested but now I ride a high level horse whom I like to show off :woman_shrugging:(She’s an imported Belgian Warmblood :grin:). Anyway, I was doing some research and it seems the first step is joining the Young Rider team. What confuses me is it seems that there are only eventing youth teams?? No dressage and no show jumping only teams, just eventing. I have no interest in joining an eventing team, I’d like to do show jumping only. My area is IV if that helps. Does anyone know what my steps should be? Also does anyone know of an estimate of what realistic finances go into this? I’d like to know ahead of time so I know what to expect. Thanks in advance

What level are you currently training and showing at? What kind of show experience do you have?

Do you mean Zone 4 or Area IV? USEF H/J competitions are run on Zones, Eventing uses areas–for instance, I am in Zone 3 but Area II, so it’s not always the same :wink:

Depending on your current riding level and age, qualifying for something like the Emerging Athletes program if still a Junior, or working towards Zone Jumper Championships might be a good starting goal. Alternatively, qualifying for Indoors might be a goal to set.

Honestly, though, most (all?) of the riders who are on the US team are professionals with strings of very expensive horses. Trying to do it with one horse anymore is an exception, not the rule.

1 Like

I lost my long post.

So I will only add that Olympic team members are usually chosen based on their rankings in FEI international competition.

1 Like

I suppose I’m in Zone 6 then. I am 18 so I’m assuming that would put me into the adult section rather than junior?
I have just begun competing the mare I discussed above, so schooling 2’9” and shown 2’ in both hunters and jumpers, she placed very well in both, she has a lot of potential, I am just taking things slow with her.
Does your last paragraph mean I should have more horses? If so I’m also training her son who is 4, as well as a 4 year old Oldenburg gelding.

But my question is how to get to those types of competitions?

You can look up international rankings on the FEI website. You are not going to be magically chosen out of a USEF show, even an A show, or a junior champion ship

In order to campaign for points on the FEI list you need to be placing at jump courses in the 4 to 5 foot level, and have multiple scope quality horses.

1 Like

So, you don’t need to be associated with any sort of group or team to compete at FEI competitions?
Like I said before, the horses I’m working with do have potential to get to those levels, it is simply me holding them back as I’m taking things slow.

When you say you are riding at a high level, do you mean you are currently competing in the high Junior/AO jumpers?

Pretty sure the Young Rider Jumper teams show jump to 1.45M courses.

I think the horses/rider’s are invited by their show results/qualifications to join Young Rider zone teams. It’s not something anyone just signs up for.

How much it does it cost to board, train and compete at that level annually? My guess is high five figures plus depending upon location and number of shows. A trained, competitive High Junior/AO 1.45M horse is going to cost into the six figures plus.

I think there is more information on the USEF website for Young Riders.

Link to more information

Best wishes!

1 Like

I find juniors who arent competing much often don’t have a clear picture of the complex, multi layered and very rewarding levels between here and there.

A process?

1. Reliably ribbon at the 2 foot 6 and 9 at local shows.

2. Reliably ribbon at 3 foot at rated jumper shows in your region. At this point you are getting into $1000 a week show fees.

3. Seek out a new trainer who is getting riders to the 4 and 5 foot level. Get a new scopier horse and start over again. At this point you are getting into $100,000 plus horses and travel expenses.

4. Go be a groom or working student for an Olympic stables and see where that takes you.

All you csn do right now is ride the horse you have, get the best instruction you can locally, work hard, and see if you can ribbon at whatever level you are at.

4 Likes

Thank you for the price estimate! It’s great to know.
I think there’s some confusion, I myself am not riding high level yet, but the horse I ride has done high level competitions when she was based in Ocala.

https://www.usef.org/compete/disciplines/jumping/fei-jumping-north-american-youth-championship here is the information for young riders. Also check out the Emerging Athletes Program https://www.ushja.org/education/emerging-athletes-program. The short answer is that it is very expensive. There should be a young rider contact person for your area that you can email for specific information.

@The_Taco_Equestrian

OK, so 2 foot and 2 foot 9. That’s a great start but honestly it’s baby beginners in the larger picture of jumping.

What kind of coaching and training are you getting? What level does your coach ride at? If you want to get past the 3 foot cutoff, you need a coach whos students are doing the 4 and 5 foot jumps.

You dont get to those levels without a coach. Top riders have coaches and trainers

1 Like

Thank you all! I will be looking into the Emerging Athletes program. It sounds great so far :smile:

No, you dont need to be chosen for a team to compete at FEI. But you need a ton of cash, you need a great coach and trainer behind you, and you need a great deal of raw courage to jump a 5 foot course. I expect there are qualifications too just so some deluded millionaire doesn’t turn up at Spruce Meadows and die.

1 Like

I’d hope so :joy:

I see that the young rider program has levels at . 9 and 1 meter which is basically 3 feet and 3 foot 3, which is doable and the height at which folks say horse is actually jumping not just loping over the rails. If you can jump a course at this height, and do OK, that might be worth applying to.

Do you have a good coach that is committed to taking you higher?

To compete at FEI levels, you’d need to be a member of your national governing body (USEF, and USHJA) as well as FEI. Before you get to that level, presumably you’d have solid experience and success at regional and national level Grands Prix.

It’s a very long road from where you are now to where you want to go. Make goals along the way–don’t make qualifying for the US Team your goal, because there are a lot of very good riders who for a lot of reasons never make it there. Make a goal to move up to the next division, or qualify for you local finals, or make it to Emerging Athletes. From there make another step of the way, like Zone Championships, another move up, etc.

6 Likes

There are Premier 5 Star type USEF/FEI show jumping shows around the country. Such as World Cup GP jumper Qualifier shows. Those shows would be good to go watch.

I was at the FEI World Cup Jumper finals in Omaha in 2017. I think the open classes for children/juniors there were around 1.15M+.

1 Like

Definitely! I’m looking forward to bringing this mare up levels. She loves to jump BIG. My brother always has to tease us because she always jumps at least a foot taller than the actual fence, very scopey haha.

Do you have a coach?