Unlimited access >

USEF Rule Change: Silver Stirrups for Equitation - Reccomendation Needed

Anyone worried about silver paint leaving marks on boots, or maybe the saddle when stored? Leather care products sure do a number on my gel manicures, they peel easily which is no small feat. I envision a hot day…and silver on my boots…or saddle!

What is the difference between the MDC Hunter Classic stirrups and MDC Jumper Classic stirrups?

Update: I’ve ridden in the MDC Hunter Classics for ~2 weeks now, they’re great! I honestly can’t tell a difference between my old RR’s and these.

The only difference between the Jumper and Hunter Classic stirrups is that the Jumper ones have bendy branches

I would like to point out today in my local unrated association the judge told my sister that her stirrups were illegal but she will let is pass this time since she had wonderful equitation. I asked the steward if I could approach the judge as she has the grey Royal Riders. No black branches. When explaining myself she said that technically I was correct in that they are legal but with her sunglasses and the dust it made them look black. She just told me to be careful and maybe switch my stirrups for eq classes or anything past local shows if showing in equitation. I completely understand where she is coming from and she was very nice and professional but so disappointing I love my Royal Riders :frowning: Just be careful if showing in Grey Royal Riders in the eq ring. I remembered this post when it happened so thought I would say you are not the only one!

[QUOTE=Renn/aissance;7472959]
I have found lightweight wide-tread stirrups to provide immense relief for my knee and ankle (and associated soft tissue) issues. I don’t know if it’s the weight or the tread, but they’ve made a huge difference over typical fillis irons and the Sprenger flex stirrups. I have never had an issue with picking them back up- although since mine came with a cheesegrater-style bed, I also don’t lose them frequently.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat as you… with knee and ankle issues. When I first started using them and trainer had us drop our stirrups and on the way to pick them up I was; “light weight probably will be difficult”… trainers response - - you cannot pick them up because your leg was not tight and in the proper position to keep the stirrup where it should be. LOL… after that kernel of knowledge I never had any issues picking up my stirrups.

I also was very bummed with this new rule - - I contacted RR’s and the assured me they would be coming out with a sliver. When they did I ordered the RR silver/gray from a local tack store. When they came in I felt bad I did not buy them, they were too dark.

One day I spent a few hours in Home Depot looking for some way to make my favorite stirrups (RR) silver. I bought some silver duct tape. I have it sitting in my office. I haven’t tried to apply it yet. I figured if it didn’t work I could just remove the tape. And the fact I haven’t been showing. :frowning:

Oh and I too thought it was a new class - I think “SILVER stirrup” would be much better than “RUSTY Stirrup”…

I’m from the dressage world, where we have technical delegates who are the “rules police”. Don’t you have anything similar at hunter shows? How do you handle it when a judge misinterprets a rule? Do you have a show report or judge’s report that you can fill out? Being a “visual professional”, I’d consider there to be a huge difference in the description of “not black” and “must be silver”.

[QUOTE=tm;7583061]
I’m from the dressage world, where we have technical delegates who are the “rules police”. Don’t you have anything similar at hunter shows? How do you handle it when a judge misinterprets a rule? Do you have a show report or judge’s report that you can fill out? Being a “visual professional”, I’d consider there to be a huge difference in the description of “not black” and “must be silver”.[/QUOTE]The equivalent to a TD would be a steward, but I am not sure if the rights and responsibilities are identical.

This reminds me of some issue with dressage and blackness of coats, or am I remembering wrong?

Sorry that this is off topic and a slightly stupid question but would the peacock stirrups with black rubber bands be unacceptable now as well? Even though the whole stirrup isn’t black?

If grey royal riders are being perceived as black, I personally would not want anything black on my stirrups at all just in case.

[QUOTE=BK6756;7472846]
A little off topic, but what is it about stirrups being lightweight that people like?
I want to try some of the stirrups with the slightly wider footbed, but I’m not sure I’ll like them being lightweight. It kinda seems like it would be hard to get your stirrup back if you lost it.[/QUOTE]

I like having a wider footbed on my stirrups, but I’m not a fan of the lightweight stirrups. I have used both the Super Comfort Iron Pads and ProJump Xtra pads in my regular Fillis irons, and both have worked quite well in terms of creating a wider footbed without going to a lightweight stirrup.

Hey, I remember those… what’s your definition of “younger”, though? :wink: (I first learned about them when I was 16, which is not quite half a life ago)

[QUOTE=Peggy;7583346]
The equivalent to a TD would be a steward, but I am not sure if the rights and responsibilities are identical.

This reminds me of some issue with dressage and blackness of coats, or am I remembering wrong?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. We did away with the “darker than this” color rule and now it’s a coat of any conservative color … which is probably just as open to interpretation, but seems to have been making everyone happy.