Unlimited access >

USEF/USHJA Recordings Necessary?

Hey all,
I used to compete pretty heavily on the A/AA circuit as a junior, but now as a poor young amateur I am trying to get back into it. I have a horse with me just for the summer that I’d like to take for a day trip down to HITS or VSF. Neither I nor the horse are members of USHJA or USEF. I know I could just pay the day passes for USHJA/USEF and not register myself, but do I need to register my horse to compete? Or can I get away without getting him recorded and except the fact that it will not go on his record or track his points?
Thanks!

I understand that other than opportunity classes, you, the horse and the horse owner need to be members or pay non-member fees. It is also my understanding that you still need a amateur card and take SafeSport training even if you are not a member.

1 Like

There seems to be no way to pay non-member fees for the horse, just registering him with USEF/USHJA or not registering him. Both websites say he needs to be recorded for a variety of benefits (i.e. HOTY points, year end standings, etc.) but do not explicitly state whether he can or cannot compete without a number, which is where I am getting confused.

1 Like

He needs a USHJA number and a microchip. Usef not necessary unless you need points. The USHJA number is what used to be the old “horse ID”.

3 Likes

I found this information. I would email USEF and ask for specifics. “You are required to have a USHJA Horse Registration number to compete in hunt- er, jumper, and/or hunter seat equitation class at any non-breed restricted USEF Licensed Competition. Exceptions to this rule are listed in GR901.9, items 1-9.”.

I don’t think they have to be registered to ENTER. Per usef website “ Horses must be recorded in order to:

To be eligible for USEF Awards and Championship programs (GR1111).

To be eligible to compete in a USEF Computer Ranking List class (GR1102.2).

To be eligible to compete in USEF/USDF qualifying and championship classes and USEF National Championships for Dressage (DR127).

To Aquire an FEI Passport or National Passport and FEI Registration Number (GR1103-1104).”

If you don’t care about points and are fine to pay the $75 show pass fees ($40 usef/$35 ushja, I think) then I don’t think he has to have a usef number. It is hard to find any info on the website that states otherwise.

Horse has to have a USHJA number and a microchip as stated above. USEF is not necessary. “You are required to have a USHJA Horse Registration number to compete in hunt- er, jumper, and/or hunter seat equitation class at any non-breed restricted USEF Licensed Competition. Exceptions to this rule are listed in GR901.9, items 1-9.”

Thanks all. I sent an email to USHJA and USEF just to clarify. I’m pretty sure I just need to register him with USHJA. Per the USHJA website, “All horse competing at USEF recognized Hunter Jumper Competitions must be registered with the USHJA per GR1101.1.”

However, if it makes any difference, I would only be competing in the open jumpers. I found this on the USHJA website about jumpers:

“Jumpers are no longer required to be recorded with USEF, unless they are participating in USHJA competitive programs, Horse of the Year Awards, want points accrued on the National Computer Ranking List or want to participate in USHJA’s Stirrup Cup and USHJA Zone Horse of The Year Awards.”

That’s sounds like maybe there was an older requirement that jumpers be registered with USEF/USHJA regardless whether they were in the hunt for national points, etc. Now it has been changed to align with hunters: horse must be recorded with USHJA to show. If you want to play for points, your need to fork over money to USEF as well

Please let us know what response you get! I am in a similar situation and had the same questions!

You can take the horse to HITS and do the USHJA outreach classes (Saturday/Sunday) without any of the microchip/registration requirements. If you want to do any other classes, you have to chip/register USHJA and pay show pass.

From the page in HITS prizelist:

“The USHJA Outreach Program is designed to engage and connect riders, trainers and owners
with the USHJA by providing the opportunity to participate in USHJA branded classes and earn
points toward year-end awards, and the chance to participate in the prestigious USHJA National
Championships. Classes are open to Juniors, Amateurs or Professionals on horses or horses.
No cross entry restrictions. Note: Ponies ridden by Amateurs or Professionals may not show in
Pony Classes at the same show. Management reserves the right to combine classes as necessary. USEF/USHJA membership is not required to compete in these classes, and horses do not need to be microchipped, but USHJA Membership is needed for points to count toward year-end awards. Membership at the USHJA Outreach level for Riders is free; USHJA Registration for Horses is $20 per Year, or $75 for Life. Join at USHJA.org.”

HITS has 18" and 2ft hunter, jumper, and equitation classes . We were there last week and the classes had 8-10 in them. I didn’t look at VSF. I have one going to Saratoga in a few weeks without a chip or USHJA number to do the outreach classes. If I remember correctly, Saratoga has more height options up to 3ft for the outreach classes.