Unlimited access >

USHJA Launches Blue Ribbon Commission

Yeah I’ve NEVER had or heard of insurance being required by a BO or trainer. Now, most boarding contracts I’ve signed have a spot to fill in insurance information alongside emergency details and permissions for colic surgery etc, but no requirement.

Personally I’d be telling the trainer “thanks but no thanks”, since that’s a huge yellow flag that the program micromanages client horses in a way I don’t appreciate.

Again, I don’t deny that a trainer requiring insurance can happen - I’m just saying I’ve not encountered it or heard of it, and it really doesn’t make sense. I’ve certainly heard of people choosing NOT to insure - insurance is beginning to be rather expensive and drop horses for the tiniest common things. Especially when it is less disruptive to the show schedule to just buy another and move the injured one on.

4 Likes

I agree. I don’t do micromanaging especially with my horses. I am involved in all aspects and I make the final decisions, after appropriate consultation with all applicable professionals. Some trainer isn’t “requiring” me to get anything, from a saddle pad to insurance.

1 Like

I wonder if leased horses were required to be insured, and that wasn’t made clear. That would make sense to me. I, too, have never heard of a barn requiring horses to be insured.

1 Like

I agree, a leased horse should definitely be insured. Even then, that’s between the parties on the lease and if one of them isn’t the barn owner or the trainer then they need to stay in their lane.

1 Like

Instead of limiting number of classes/divisions, assign a point value to each class/division and put a limit on the number of points entered per horse per time period (whether that’s day, week, month, whatever.) This would be better able to account for the difference in levels or a horse that does more flat classes vs over fences etc.

5 Likes

I’m glad you and people you know are actually doing something, but I fear you’re the minority. I’ve spoken to stewards at shows and had no action taken, so I continue to be skeptical that any real change will happen until people vote with their dollars.

1 Like

Were you at a USEF rated show when you spoke to the Stewards?

Reporting to stewards is only the first step. They have to file a report with USEF and then USEF has to deem the report worthy of follow up.

This is the most sensible proposal I’ve heard yet to account for the physical demands of the working hunters vs the short stirrup.

2 Likes

Yes in California

Is this the case for every type of violation? I know the hunters don’t have a “blood rule” but I reported (and had pictures of) a horse with open wounds from spurs. Nothing was done at the show, and the steward didn’t even take down my information to contact me or follow up with me after the show. I just know that the horse continued to show with a rider that continued to wear spurs.

If there’s no rule against that because there’s no blood rule, then I don’t want to be a part of that organization.

ETA: If there’s something happening right now, wouldn’t the steward step in and stop it? I can’t believe that the steward would report something to USEF that USEF would have to follow up on themselves weeks later.

2 Likes

No. Hunter’s do have a blood rule and that should be handled on the spot. The horse should have been pulled from competition and a report filed.

If there is abuse, stewards can intervene if they see it. If it is hearsay, they need to document it for follow up by USEF.

5 Likes

There is a blood rule in USHJA. There are also forms you can use to report this sort of thing. You can see them on the USEF website. It’s too bad that the steward ignored your complaint.

Hopefully there won’t be a next time, but if there is, fill out the form and enclose the photos.
I would also ask for the name of the steward who is ignoring a horse with open wounds, and include it on the form.

3 Likes

I am willing to show my age and say in my youth we showed in as many classes as we wanted. Pony club shows were all day long. This went for the majority of club shows in my area. Flat classes in the morning and games/jumping in the afternoon.

The difference in those days was the warmup. It really was just a warmup. Usually the warm-up was before classes started or at lunch time.

I do not believe the classes themselves are the problem. The lunging, the every class warmup of 45 minutes - all for a 2 minute round, 45 second game or 5 - 10 minute flat class is much more of a problem.

Pay more ring stewards/judges etc. that are not picked by the show grounds and DEMAND they follow the rule book. I am quoting the rulebook for my area but I am sure the US has the same Statement of Principles somewhere.

Equine Canada has loads of rules to deal with abuse situations at shows and at home barns. Enforcement of those principles is the PROBLEM.
Define “Code of Conduct” and “Mistreatment”

Statement of Principles
Equine Canada (EC), the national equestrian federation of Canada, supports adherence to the humane treatment of horses in all activities under its jurisdiction.
All Persons shall be committed to:

• upholding the welfare of all horses, regardless of value, as a primary consideration in all activities;
  • requiring that horses be treated with kindness, respect and compassion, and that they never be subjected to mistreatment;
  • ensuring that all Equestrians including owners, trainers and competitors, or their respective agents, use responsible care in the handling, treatment and transportation of their own horses as well as horses placed in their care for any purpose;
  • providing for the continuous well-being of horses by encouraging routine inspection and consultation with health care professionals and competition officials to achieve the highest possible standards of nutrition, health, comfort and safety as a matter of standard operating procedure;
  • providing current information on Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Equines and other equine health and welfare initiatives;
  • continuing to support scientific studies on equine health and welfare;
4 Likes

@Tackpud thank you both. I don’t show USEF so I’m not familiar with all of the rules. This incident occurred about 10 years ago, so I certainly don’t remember the steward’s name, but I will be sure to take note of that in the future.

1 Like

The rulebook is on the USEF website if you are interested.

2 Likes

I’ve spent some time combing through it, but certainly can’t say I have a comprehensive knowledge of the rules, especially when it comes to the hunters.

1 Like

Meanwhile, in Australia, an Olympic rider gets stood down…
Not for a horse welfare issue though, but for wearing a mankini while in a show jumping class.
It only took a single complaint to launch an investigation. Maybe our sensibilities need to shift?

2 Likes

No mankinis in warm up?

I’m sure if I wore one it could be considered abuse. Abuse of any witnesses eyeballs.

9 Likes

Except it sounds like it was a costume class.

2 Likes