Unlimited access >

Using a Manure Spreader in the snow?

This is my first winter with a manure spreader. We have a Mill Creek 50 and pull it with a Honda Rancher ATV. We got probably 18 inches of snow over the past few days - and they are saying even more may be on its way this weekend :grimacing:

Will we not be able to pull the spreader until the snow is nearly gone? We got the ATV out last night to see how it is in the snow (first winter with it too!) and it seemed ok but it definitely would not have been able to pull the spreader. Currently we fill the spreader through the week and spread only once a week. We donā€™t have a front end loader so the idea of making a pile to load into the spread later does not sound appealing at all :frowning_face: If we do not fill the spreader but took it out every other day instead so itā€™s not as heavy, would that work? And/or chains for the ATV?

I have not had good experiences with my Honda ATV in deep snow. I suggest you plow yourself a path for the spreader and dump it immediately after loading. This will also keep the manure from freezing and keeping the drag chain from operating correctly.

1 Like

I think your added problem is what @Huntin_Pony brings up above. If you let it sit the manure can freeze up and make it not spread well or make the spreader freeze too and not work at all.

Iā€™m not sure where you live or if snow is typical for your winter, but you want to be careful spreading manure over snow. When snow melts, the manure will run off with it. This means your soil is not having any organic material added to it and you are potentially introducing contaminated run off water to other water sources. I had this conversation with my brother and father (who are both professional agrologists with a focus in soil science) not that long ago.

1 Like

No plow yet either - that is something we are still debating the cost of it vs how frequently we have a plowable snow event (which hasnā€™t been that often in the past few years) :frowning:

I have been worried a bit about the freezing in the spreader but so far have not had a problem with it - probably because I keep it covered and havenā€™t had anything in it when it goes below mid 20s at night.

The person I bought the spreader from sold it because she said she just wasnā€™t able to use it enough to justify it. Now Iā€™m getting why she felt like that :neutral_face:

I donā€™t really understand why the runoff from snow melt would be any different than runoff from a rain event? I suppose they would say thatā€™s problematic as well.

You do not want the manure to freeze up in the manure spreader. If you let it thaw, which it will, you donā€™t have a problem, but you have to wait for it to thaw and that can take time. However, if you try to spread it while it is frozen several bad things can happen: chunks of frozen manure get thrown a surprisingly long and painful way, damage to the drag chain, or if the whole load shifts too far back as a single frozen lump you can bend the pto shaft when the spreader tips up as the load unbalances the spreader.
The reason manure spread on snow can be an issue is if the snow thaws rapidly while the ground is still frozen you can have surface run off of the manure rather than slower infiltration. That issue is going to depend a great deal on where in relation to wetlands, buffer zones, and slopes you are, and also how much/type of manure being spread. In general manure spread during the active growing season is less likely to cause run off issues.
If you can, I would stock pile it till spring. But, I agree that loading the manure spreader is no fun at all. I did that for years by hand, I made my life easier by having the stockpile above a retaining wall, with the spreader parked below it for loading.

1 Like

Since you donā€™t have a blade for plowing, your next best option would be to clear a route either by driving around and around on the ATV or perhaps riding the horses around and around. In the biggest snow I ever dealt with (36+ inches), the horses made all of the pathways for me and we even had fun doing it!

If you can rig up a board on an angle behind the ATV, that will divert some of the snow off to the side as well, which would hasten the process a little.

1 Like

I very much doubt the ATV can pull a spreader through 18". Plus, the spreader itself needs good wheel traction to drive the spreader bars. So you will likely find the spreaderā€™s wheels just skidding along on the snow, not actually turning, which will make your ATVā€™s job even harder.

Me? Iā€™d go buy a large sled (look at ice fishing sleds ) and just drag the manure out. Pile it somewhere inoffensive so you can deal with it next summer when you have time.

We have an ATV plow thatā€™s been very effective for smaller accumulations. But it canā€™t handle anything above 4-6" (the ATV just canā€™t push that much snow around). So for a big storm weā€™d have to go out a few times during the storm to do an ā€œinterimā€ plow.

Honestly, I think this is when you just call a plow operator and pay them to make a path for you. 18" is a lot of snow for an atv to get through, you are quite liable to get it stuck out there.

I like the big sled idea. I could just dump it randomly in the field and spread it out later with a rake.

I have a bad shoulder and really need to avoid excessive manual shoveling, hence my desire to not make a big pile to deal with later.

We made a ton of tracks yesterday so Iā€™m hoping the melt with the next few days we can get out the spreader with whatā€™s in it now and pray for no more snow this weekend!

Do you have a snow blower? Maybe blow a path for the manure spreader/ATV.

You can also just buy the tub/tray for a wheelbarrow-- theyā€™ll have those at any hardware / home improvement stores so you could get one today if youā€™re anxious to get going. Just drill a couple holes for eye bolts and attach a rope. Compared to the sled, the sloped front of the barrow might be easier to dump so you can protect that shoulder.

I use those concrete mixing tubs. They can hold a whole small bale of hay if one is feeling really ambitious. You can even chain/rope them together as a train. Weā€™ve gotten fancy and put them on runners made of scrap wood. They are saving my life this winter, hauling hay out to the horses!
If you have the space, you could create a linear manure pile by dumping that way

1 Like

I do have an unused wheelbarrow trayā€¦ I may try that one :grinning: Otherwise, I am thinking I may resign myself to making a pile to be dealt with later, one way or another. The latest weather is looking like the next storm may miss us - fingers crossed!

Also re: the run-off issue. DH is from the Midwest and when I mentioned that, he immediately recognized it as more of a problem there than for us, as almost always here as the snow melts, so does the ground underneath. Our ground is constantly freezing and thawing. We will inevitably have snow and mud simultaneously. So gross.

Here in Maine it is my understanding that it is against the law to spread manure on your fields during the winter and snow. Might want to touch base with your local jurisdictions before spreading. This is for all the reasons listed above.

1 Like