Unlimited access >

Uveal Cysts?

Hi everyone,

My horse has been very tense, nervous, spooky, etc for the past few months. I’ve had her for 2 years and she has always been alert and interested in her surroundings, but never in such a fearful way. Despite trying to work with her in hand, on long lines, in different locations, with or without other horses, etc it just seems to be getting worse with time. I’ve had the chiropractor out, had her teeth floated, saddle fitted… My vet ran a CBC and Lyme titer and found nothing abnormal. About a month after the behavior started I had her scoped for ulcers and they found only one small ulcer (likely caused by this behavior), which we treated.

I was reading up about eyesight problems which led me to look at her eyes with a light today and I saw this (one pic of each eye):

http://s736.photobucket.com/user/restlessmemory/library/?sort=9&page=1

Now I’ve never looked at her eyes this closely before so I don’t have anything to compare it to. However, after some investigation, it does look similar to many pictures of uveal cysts. I do need to get some pictures in dimmer lighting to see how much of her pupil is covered by the cysts when they’re less constricted.

Does this look like cysts to you? In your opinion, does it seem to be significant enough to be causing this behavioral change? I appreciate any sharing of info/ experiences/ ideas!

Thanks

Are you looking at the corpora nigrans? They are a normal part of the eye, but can get cystic (you’re horse’s appear normal).

[QUOTE=flyracing;8256837]
Are you looking at the corpora nigrans? They are a normal part of the eye, but can get cystic (you’re horse’s appear normal).[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s what I’m looking at. So it is normal for the corpora nigra to obstruct the majority of the pupil when it is fully constricted?

On her right eye, do you think it’s simply the reflection of your phone/camera, or is it an actual cloudy spot? Does she periodically get a bit of cloudiness in that eye, or the other? If so, you might want to have a vet check her for possible uveitis. But ONLY if she gets periodic cloudy spots that last for more than a day or 2. (don’t want to freak you out or make you spend unnecessary money)

I think it would be worth it to have your vet examine your mare’s eyes.

Your horse’s corpora nigra appear normal and yes, it is normal for them to obstruct the pupil when it is constricted. Teeny tiny corpora nigra can actually be a sign of chronic inflammation or uveitis in some horses.

My Hano gelding has a corpora nigra cyst, I’ll see if I can get a picture of it for you.