Unlimited access >

Value of this saddle

Posting here because the saddle in question is a close contact.
Friend will list on eBay for me, but I have no idea where to set the Reserve.
Any COTH input appreciated.

DH’s saddle, bought after initial trial when his (leased) horse peeled a hunk off the seat :persevere:
Repair is not visible when ridden & after almost 35yrs, nearly invisible.
Otherwise in decent shape, has all d-rings, stirrup bars still chromed.
IMO, though still rideable, saddle is more of a Collectors Item because:

*Vintage 1960-70s 20th Century purchased from Chicago Marshall Field’s (the store used to have a Sporting Goods department that sold tack)
*Si Jayne model (you gotta be from the Midwest)
Pic of damage:

Anyone?

Sorry to be a bummer but that’s worth very little. I doubt you’d get more than a couple hundred for it. Best case scenario. More likely it just wouldn’t sell.

5 Likes

Agreed. A couple hundred at most, if it sold at all. Not a common brand, with repairs, and that old are a pretty tough sell.

Are there any therapeutic or school programs near you that could either use it or sell it for fundraising? Probably less hassle and more value in the tax deduction if you donate it.

This one appears to be in better condition with fittings. You can watch and see if it sells. There is a very limited market for these types of older saddles. **When I was in charge of the used saddle department of a tack store, pre 2000, we no longer consigned plain flap saddles because we couldn’t sell them.

Honestly, with the seat repair and the typical narrow gullet channels these saddle tend to have; I think it is more of a decorative decor piece than a marketable saddle.

1 Like

@Moneypitt Thanks.
I was looking for a # to set as a Reserve. Now I have that.

In no way was I expecting a fortune, but thought the Curiousity value might generate some interest among those familiar with the story.
Kinda like a hypothetical Whitey Bulger’s briefcase :wink:

I don’t think so. Anyone who is curious about these can pick one up for $50 on CL or eBay or FB marketplace. Maybe you’ll luck out but I can’t see someone spending much for a damaged old flat saddle when there are plenty of undamaged ones around

Okay, I get the saddle has no value as a usable piece of tack.

But as an artifact?
Guess you gotta be “of an age” & locale

Here, it would fetch $50-100 as a decorator’s piece.

1 Like

Sounds like it has more sentimental value to you than actual market value. Maybe you should keep it?

I totally get the memories.

2 Likes

I need to start getting rid of “stuff”.
Memories don’t take up space.
Or need dusting :sunglasses:

I thought the curiousity value might interest someone.

Well, my kid sister had a Jimmy’s 20th Century saddle growing up, likely of about that vintage. It was purchased for $100 from the consignment shop and when she outgrew it Mom sold it to the next pony kid for $100. As far as I know it’s still floating around. So, that’s $100 for one in usable condition.

I think that the large and visible mend probably drops its value as a collector’s piece, though you never know what will interest people. You may as well set the reserve at $100 and run the auction for awhile and see what kinds of nibbles you get or don’t get, and then proceed accordingly.

2 Likes

I remember the Si Jayne model. That was the dark ages! They were nice saddles for the time.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are Marshal Fields nostalgia collectors out there. Where to look, I’m not sure. But I bet they’re out there.

Unfortunately, I have no proof (provenance) of where the saddle was purchased.
Original owner told me & he died in the late 90s.

I told my eBay connection to set the Reserve at $100.
We’ll see how the bidding goes :crossed_fingers: