Unlimited access >

Valuing a broodmare - please help!

Hi all,

I’m looking into selling my mare as a broodmare but have no idea how to value her!

She’s jumped upto 1.5m in Germany and is exceptionally well bred , please find a link to her papers below. She is 14yo and believed to have had a foal in the past but I can’t find any record of this.

Papers:
http://en.rimondo.com/horse-details/140183/Torina-9

What do you think?

I hope you can help :slight_smile:

She belongs to the HOL family 741.

Landstreicher - Sandro - Landsdown - Sacramento Song xx - Wahnfried

She is well bred with some very interisting strings like a triple to Sacramento Song and Wahnfried and a double to Landgraf.
No strings to Cor de la Bryere.
She has a % of TB-blood of nearly 58%.
good personal performance as well as in the family !

personally, I think the paper is really interesting, but that’s MY opinion. And there a few things as personal as a judgement on a horse paper.

Thank you for your help.

It is completely down to each person, I suppose - it’s just very hard to put a price on her for anyone that is interested. … I don’t want under price her but also don’t want to ask silly money. . . tricky one!

Thank you for your help.

It is completely down to each person, I suppose - it’s just very hard to put a price on her for anyone that is interested. … I don’t want under price her but also don’t want to ask silly money. . . tricky one!

She is getting on in years - is she 14 as of 2017? Not many foals left in her, and she’s believed to have had a foal. Her fertility may not be what it was – and there are a lot of empty broodmares out there these days. Maybe focus on the best home possible?

She’s had no known premium foals, perhaps no foals at all? Is she approved and if so, as a premium mare? At 14 years old with no known foals, her bloodlines aren’t worth as much as if she was a proven broodmare. Hate to say it, but I get emails all the time, looking to “place” a potential broodmare now that her riding career is over. And many of them have excellent bloodlines. Agree with Foxtrot, she may be a “give away” or “lease” candidate. :no:

She has 3 halfsister / Brothers that are/were competing in Germany - all in classes upto 1,30 - 1,40.
You can find her family here:
http://www.horsetelex.de/horses/pedigree/616713
and here:
http://www.horsetelex.de/horses/family/616713

Thank you for all your advice…I would always focus on the best home possible for her, she’s my pride and joy!

She had her ovaries scanned recently and everything looks in good order, I’ve hand picked a few studs which are interested but then they ask the price and I’m not sure what to say!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Ask them to makecan offer.

I have asked but everyone is reluctant to put a value on her, I also won’t know if the offer is sensible or not ??

Maybe invest in a breeding and sell her in foal. That way a buyer would know she is fertile and will (hopefully) get at least one nice foal from her.

They probably wont say because broodmares are usually free.

Agree with kcmel. Breed to a very good stallion and sell in foal for ±10k

The other important question is, do you have her registration papers? If not, that will drop her price down as well…especially if it is not possible for you to get your hands on them. :wink: