VATS lobectomy

Anyone have this surgery? What am I looking at for recovery; when will I be back in the saddle? I have an older steady type but he is a big, bouncy mover that rattles my back molars at the best of times. Also, I keep my horses at home and there is the issue of barn chores including mucking, hauling bales, etc.

I would like to hear from other riders as to their experiences.
Thank you!

How many horses are there to look after?

I had several surgeries and horses at home, far away from anyone, but in those days no more than three-four horses.

I think if you may have a similar situation, could you board your horses temporarily, until you are back on your feet enough to care for them?

The surgery itself seems forward enough and you should be able to do more soon, but with surgeries, you never know, so best provide for care as long as may be needed, just in case it takes you longer than what someone else could be of help.

My first surgery, I thought my neighbors could come feed for a couple days.
As it happened, I had to stay in town longer, my heart quit four times during recovery and they would not let me go home until that was stable.
After that, for any other surgery, I sent horses to board with a friend, one needs medication for Cushing’s and that took care of that worry.

As for that specific surgery, I hope someone else can tell you more.

Thanks Bluey. I have 4 horses, 2 are out 24/7 and 2 are in work and therefore clipped, blanketed and coming in at night. They will be staying in work and someone will be riding them for me. My husband and son will be able to do a lot; I will be having someone come in the morning to feed, turn out and be the experienced eye in the barn.

I am just trying to get a sense of the recovery, I don’t know anyone that has had this and it is difficult to explain to doctors how physical horse care and riding are!

Why not post on Off Topic forum?

There may be more eyes on this and someone may be able to answer your questions better.

I can’t tell you how many times I had to read it before I figured out you weren’t having a lobotomy. Hopefully with the precision the recovery won’t be too awful, but I would be very careful to take care of yourself first. Overdoing it too soon can set back recovery significantly.

1 Like

OP - 12 years ago I had the more traditional thoracic surgery - 6-7 inch scar. Here’s what I can tell you: I was home after 4 days. I had pain but it was less intrusive than abdominal surgery - used prescription meds for about a week then began a gradual switch to advil. Was in the grocery store about 3 days after arrival home. I was back on my horse at week 5, mostly walking at first.
You will be reasonably mobile - but I can’t vouch for stall cleaning and flinging hay. The upper body action may make you uncomfortable, and short of breath. You will get tired after spurts of activity. This will be through about week 8.
They took roughly 10% of my lung - not too bad. Be sure you are diligent with the little breathing gadget they give you. It will help you rebuild capacity.
I could not wear a bra for about 7 weeks due to where incision was. No one told me that, and I’m not built for “bra free”.
I had to sleep sitting up for a while.
I got lucky; surgeon went in thinking cancer, found that I had a fungus called histoplasmosis.

With the VAT process, your pain and incision issues should be less. Good luck.

1 Like

lol. I might ride better with a lobotomy.

Thank you for this. That must have been a huge relief to find it was “only” a fungus. I am sure that was an extremely nerve wracking time for you. Mine is in all likelihood a benign tumour (not able to biopsy due to location but it does not take up dye) that just needs to come out as is it (slowly) growing and it is best to get it out while it is still small. But you know with 4 horses at home, full time job and kids to take care of I have convinced myself I am irreplaceable. I need to get over that :wink: