Unlimited access >

Vent: Humiliated and Frustrated

I’ve been riding 5 years now, used to have a pretty regular horse (stopped when he had enough, not forgiving but not naughty) until I finally saved up 3 months ago and bought myself an amazing mare that helps me out and helped me slowly regain confidence. I take lessons daily, been taking them with the same trainer for 4 years now and I’ve consistently been moving up 10cm each year since being with him, this year I was supposed to go to the 1.10cm-1.15cm but I feel more than ready for the 1.20cm considering I had jumped courses, as well as 1.25-1.30cm courses, like that at home with my trainers aid (whenever my trainer is away we ride with him).

But this week I didn’t have a single good day. During the week it wasn’t too bad, just some frustrating days, but this weekend was hell. On Saturday my mare had to help me out at every corner and get me out of some tricky spots while jumping the course, in the end we got it right but my trainer kept saying that he just ‘gave the client what they wanted’ and to not complain about anything, I left unsatisfied with the course on Saturday and I felt horrible since I’m pretty sure I rode my mare like sh*t. Then Sunday, on Sunday my trainer decided to let me jump alongside some of my friends that ride with another trainer. We started at the same time riding, different horses but we started at the same time, but they are jumping way higher than me which does cause me to be more conscious of my riding (I know that’s wrong, no I do not hate them and I’m actually happy for them and their biggest fan at competitions, I just feel very inadequate and I just feel like I shouldn’t even try because I suck and yes I know thats a toxic mindset and I’m working on not comparing myself to others) but anyways we were jumping and my trainer was beginning to get frustrated saying I was holding my mare back or that I should just stop if I was going to ride like that, etc but I felt I was riding my mare well but he wanted more speed.

My friends passed the course first, perfectly of course, and then it was my turn and I f*cking sucked. First go around mare refused a jump when we were almost we done (which she never does) but it was 100% my fault because I didn’t point her properly to the jump, but then we went to a triple combo and I didn’t get the right distance but she completely forgave me and jumped it anyways but I almost fell. Trainer got mad, yelled, told me to repeat everything, but with more speed and I did, but when I turned to do a bending line towards a jump I think I didn’t measure it right and asked for a way too long spot for the height and was going way to fast and my mare refused and I proceeded to fall off because I didn’t expect her to stop. 100% my fault, the distance was too long and after the horrible triple I would have stopped too but my trainer was pissed. Said I should just leave her like that but I didn’t want to leave her with a refusal, I asked him to get on her and do the course and he said no, so I asked if I could at least jump one last jump to leave her right.

He said ok, fine, lowered the jump she had refused and jumped that, but the second he raised the jump and I approached, I thought I had a good distance and asked my mare to jump but she refused (don’t blame her, probably asked her for a long spot or she was just spooked and I get it) and I fell off brutally. First time landed on my feet, second time landed on the jump. Trainer told me to just go to the trainer next to him (he’s a friend for both of us) because he couldn’t stand me anymore and I should just leave the mare. I asked him to ride her again please because I didn’t want to leave her with that but he refused and just lowered the jump and said to do what I wanted. I did jump her a few times and once I was sure she was okay I took her to her stable but honestly I was in tears.

I’m not prone to crying but I burst into tears and couldn’t stop, went to a friend of mine and cried with him hugging me and he asked if I was ok after watching the whole thing. He asked what had happened if last week both saturday and sunday I had jumped 1.25 courses like they were nothing but all I could do was cry and feel horrible. I love my mare and felt like I let her down, felt like I had let myself down, and by how my trainer ignored me afterwards I’m sure he was more than angry at me. Honestly considering just leaving the sport after this, I know its dramatic but I feel defeated and worthless, like I suck and don’t deserve my horse after what I put her through but more than that I’m also frustrated because I feel I do have potential to jump higher but I feel like my trainer isn’t helping me do that and just teaches me the same things and lets mistakes slip, that or maybe his style of teaching isn’t for me. I’m taking a break this week and told him to just ride her every day, I’ll come at another hour to go see her and if I can I’ll ride her a few minutes to which he agreed.

I have talked to him before about the way he talks to me and refuses to explain things when I get confused or don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. He yells and says he’s already explained and I should know by now or that if I don’t know what I’m doing wrong how is he supposed to know.

So yeah, in summary, I fell off twice during a lesson while riding a high course and I feel like sht now. Just wanted to vent, please don’t call me names or tell me I’m sht, I really don’t need more hateful critique and I’ve seen some posts on here were people get destroyed by the comments and this is just a vent

Side note: I’m still getting to know my mare and she has a very powerful jump and stride, when she refused I couldn’t sit properly and she caught me off guard both times so combined with her strength and I just flew.

2 Likes

I think you need a new trainer and to step back and work on more basic things until you get to know your mare and she you. No excuse for the trainer speaking to you/acting this way.

62 Likes

In my world, trainers and coaches are allowed to yell at me in exactly one situation, and that’s when it is a safety issue.

Anyone who said they “couldn’t stand me anymore” would be summarily fired. The same way I would be if I behaved that way at my job.

How hard is it to say instead, “It’s clear you’re not having a good day, how about you put the mare away and we’ll talk about it later.”

51 Likes

I wouldn’t have minded if he would have just ridden her over the jump she refused so that she’d leave with that in mind instead of the refusal or even if he would have just explained to me what was happening but he just got angry but usually we’ve been able to talk it through but I feel a bit lost on what to do or how to manage the situation

You will continue to feel humiliated and frustrated until you find a better trainer.

People who start with a bad trainer tend to believe that all trainers are the same way. It’s not true. There are trainers out there who are professionals and who don’t beat up on their students. Go find one of them.

37 Likes

I agree with everyone that your trainer’s communication is unacceptable.

However, I am wondering if something bigger lies behind your trainer’s negativity. Does he feel the mare is wrong for you? Does he feel you are pushing to jump higher than you’re ready for? I’m not justifying his conduct, just trying to understand if he has a “big picture” perspective on the situation that is feeding into his bullying and frustration.

It also struck me that you are pretty focused on the height you are jumping. You noted you become more self-conscious about your equitation when the jumps are higher; your friends started at the same time but they jump higher, etc. Your mare is pretty new to you. I’m wondering if you could take the focus off going higher, higher, higher and just spend some time getting comfortable with the mare at lower heights (hopefully with a new, more positive trainer).

23 Likes

Agree with those suggesting a new trainer, and also since you say you take lessons every day—do you ever ride outside of lessons? If not I think that would help build your in-the-saddle critical thinking skills and confidence to work independently of a trainer. I’d also think it would be difficult to succeed at shows if you always have a trainer telling you what to do at home.

25 Likes

The trainer said he couldn’t stand you anymore??? F. That !!! Find someone who wants to teach you.

26 Likes

It sounds like you and this trainer are not a good match.
Time to find a new trainer.

Though I will add that just because your friends are doing things you are not does not mean you are some type of failure or not progressing at the right speed.

14 Likes

Jumping high is 100% the wrong way to measure your abilities. Take your nice mare and find someone who will make sure you are solid in the basics. It sounds like you are not solidly educated.

DTMFA

23 Likes

When he yelled that he was thru with you, think that you could now smile big, no more crying, your worries over, toxic situation ended.
Now on to try for a different and hopefully better situation and more adequate and supportive trainer.

Always look for that silver lining in any situation, that was one of those.

13 Likes

Time to find a new trainer. One who will be respectful and help you learn. Take your mare with you - she sounds awesome and like she gives you confidence so don’t let trainer convince you to sell or leave her in training with him - take her to your new trainer and start from there.

Last, are you a member of ShitEventersUnite (FB Group)? If not, please join. You’ll quickly realize that we are all sh*t sometimes and that’s ok, plus it’s great fun to laugh at our own mixups especially when we realize we are not alone. <3

10 Likes

He got mad at you for missing distances??? You’ve been riding for four years of course you’re missing. Everyone does.

Find someone who will put the jumps down to a height she’s able/willing to jump from a bad distance and then positively build it back up from there. This isn’t because you ride horribly, it’s because people miss and that’s just what you do. Expecting you to be dead accurate at your stage on a new horse is completely unrealistic. It’s unrealistic for most people at any stage.

15 Likes

I would stop taking lessons every day, because I think that is too much stress. Take a couple rest days in between your lessons. Go for a bareback hack around the farm property. Or just groom and hand-graze. And, yeah, find another trainer. No matter how you ride, lessons should be fun and you should walk away from most of your lessons feeling reminded of why you love riding and love your horse.

I have a chronically lame horse who could not even do a walk lesson the other day (some days he’s brilliant, but this was not one of them). My trainer had plenty of interesting and helpful things to say and teach me in five minutes of walking around the ring feeling/assessing how lame he was. I left still madly in love with my horse and with the sport – and again, the fella couldn’t even manage a walk lesson. (The next day, he was cavorting around and trotting mostly sound up and down the big hill in his pasture…) Your trainer is so bad, it is hard to believe.

20 Likes

To be honest I’m kind of choking up, I didn’t think people would be so positive here and be kind so thank you, currently my mental health is a bit more stable than on sunday.

To answer some questions, yes, I usually do take daily lessons with my trainer and he takes me to shows so I almost never ride alone, it’s common place here at my barn.

My mate actually has saved me at 1.30 heights, she’s the best, most honest mare I could ever ask for. She helps me and usually tries to understand what I want and what happened on Sunday was NOT her fault at all, she probably either had enough or spooked at the close calls we had and I would have stopped if I was her so I’m not mad at her at all.

I do agree my jumping mindset is very warped, I just feel so inadequate and like sh*t and I want to be a good winning rider! I want my mare to have a great rider on her back and to be happy during our rides, not suffering or in danger. I just feel like I’m progressing slowly, my first year of riding was once a week, second year was twice until I finally saved up to buy my first horse with my current trainer.

I do think my trainer is just fed up with me. I do tend to have shutdowns and a more negative outlook on how I ride. He did get me the mare, he thinks its a wonderful match and I agree but I have insisted I want to go higher but he says that I’m not ready. I usually agree but whenever I ask why I’m not ready, what do I need to be ready, he brushes me off, gets angry or he says ‘fine, I’ll give you what you want’ and tries to raise the jumps even when I tell him that’s not what I meant. He also says whenever we’re jumping that if I get it wrong he’s leaving and he has left in the middle of a lesson before, I think its like a child tantrum but he says thats how tough trainers train.

Also, what does DTMFA mean?

3 Likes

It means dump the mother F’er already

24 Likes

OP, where are you from? With the push/expectation to jump higher and higher each year, the abrasive coach, and having multiple upper-level trainers working out of the same farm, it sounds a lot like a situation another poster had either earlier this year or last year, and apparently that was how the show jumping culture was in that country, or in that particular part of that OP’s country.

8 Likes

I’m from , I used to live in but I had to drive a long way for lessons which is why I moved. But at least at my barn everyone seems to have the same mindset as me

Get a new trainer ASAP. You are a good rider, you just have a terrible trainer. Anyone who yells or makes me that upset is fired.

11 Likes

He’s wrong.

22 Likes