Venting about (another) knee injury

In 2009 my horse spooked and I came off. In the process I tore my ACL and had surgery later in the year. About 4 years later, I partially tore the other ACL. Did PT and it was as good as new. 2 years later, I finished the tear, did PT and it was okay but somewhat unstable. Opted not to do surgery because of missing work and being laid up for a while. A week ago, I re-injured it, thought from the way it felt that maybe another ligament was torn, but PA I saw said it didn’t appear to be and a week later it’s almost back to where it was. I discussed with my husband about getting the ACL surgery done because otherwise the insufficient ACL puts me at risk for further injury. Meanwhile, since the first incident in 2009, my confidence in riding has gone downhill. My current horse is very mellow so she doesn’t give me a reason to be afraid, but it’s been really hard to ride, even though I want to. The recurrent injuries make me think I should give it up. I have two donkeys and I’d like to learn to drive one of them but need help with that. We hope to retire in about 5 years and I still want to be active and be able to care for my animals, even if I’m not riding/driving. Anyway, I’m just in a funk and needed to vent. Thanks!

Sorry to hear of your knee problems. I hope things go as well as possible.
Hope you can get a good work up from a doc and recommendations for what you can do to improve things.
Also maybe a sports psychologist could help you regain your confidence. Good luck to you.

My boyfriend just 100% tore his ACL in a slo-mo slip off my horse. We thought “surgery” but as we read more and he is recovering in PT, it doesn’t seem like surgery is always a good thing. Right now he is thinking that wearing a knee sleeve while exercising might be all he needs.

I also heard conflicting info on whether the ACL can self heal and reattach itself.

Are the recurrent injuries for similar incidents: coming off a horse? If not, and it is varied, it does sound like ACL surgery would be helpful.

@BlueDrifter From what I’ve learned, it can seem like the ACL can self heal because it’s not always evident if the tear is complete or not from an MRI view. That’s what happened the first time on my left knee. After PT it felt great- no instability at all. Then I tore it the rest of the way which answered the question of was it completely torn the first time.

Only once did I have an ACL injury from coming off a horse. I know I risk further injury, so likely I will have the surgery. :frowning:

@Mukluk I have not heard of a sports psychologist. I will look into it. Thank you.

I had the surgery after a complete tear of the ACL and MCL (which healed by itself) - my knee is now good as new. Yes, it’s a long and not all that fun process but do your PT and you won’t have to worry about it again.

Well, I had another little incident where I got a off balance, felt the pop and major pain. Fortunately I can still walk so I’ve had my brace on again. I decided to bite the bullet and have ACL surgery. I just feel so limited. Appointment is Thursday to talk to doctor.

Here’s hoping it goes well and that you don’t have to give up riding unless that’s what feels right to you there are lots and f ways to keep up the relationship without getting on.

1 Like

after riding for 40 years i have recently been diagnosed with osteopenia and have been advised by my doctors to ride carefully or not at all. I’d like to hear from other readers about this situation…I certainly don"t want to stop riding …

You might want to post this as a new topic to get better results.

I’ve had ACL replacement on both knees. The first time was a patella tendon resection, 3 days in the hospital, long recover, painful PT etc. Other knee opted for a cadaver tendon for the ACL, day surgery, little pain, PT was easy and short, back to riding ASAP. I’ve had less issues with the cadaver replacement in the long run but both knees are stable etc. I still ride.

1 Like

ACL surgery is 4/5.

UGH Forgot how painful it is.

Hope the pain is short-lived and your recovery is fast! Hang in there.

1 Like

I’ve had both ACLs rupture. The first one was pure ACL without MCL or PCL, but there was also what is called a “bucket handle” meniscus tear and the knee was VERY unstable. Grass wet, slight slip, knee would go; weight wrong, mud, knee would go; land wrong off a step, knee would go. I lived with it for a couple of years, but it just kept getting worse. That knee I had surgery, cadaver ACL replacement and meniscus repair.

Fast forward about ten years, and I tore the ACL in the other knee along with spraining the MCL badly. The meniscus wasn’t damaged. I don’t know if this was a complete rupture, but the pain was excruciating, the same excruciating pain I would have when my other knee collapsed. Orthopod did not recommend surgery, and I haven’t had it. Knee is stable, it doesn’t collapse when my weight is wrong, and it’s only painful occasionally. I can tolerate those occasions with a brace and ibuprofen.

If your knee is collapsing, it could well be a meniscus tear that won’t heal.

Please let me know if you had a bucket handle tear of your meniscus along with the ACL.

From my experience, the pain of the surgery and the rehab was much less than the pain from a regularly collapsing knee (and assorted bumps and bruises from the falls).
The surgery will be worth every twinge and ache.

@vineyridge I don’t know if your comment was directed to me, but no, I only had the torn ACL. I know in a few months I will be saying it was all worth it. Just the interim, which is why I put off the surgery. :eek:

@stressgirl37 I asked about the meniscus tear because you had said your knee was collapsing. To me that meant what had happened to me, and I was wondering if an ACL rupture by itself would cause the knee to collapse regularly and make one fall.

@vineyridge Yes, and ACL rupture does cause collapse. The ACL is what stabilizes the knee. Doc said he saw no other damage so I’m thankful for that, because when it does collapse, there is the potential for more damage. I’m looking forward to healing and not having to worry about an unstable knee.

Hope your rehab goes well! It’s been 18 months since I had mine repaired and I’m glad I had it done. It was quite unstable, and hurt so much when it would collapse. It’s a long rehab process though so I feel for you right now.

1 Like