Unlimited access >

Vermont blend v. California Trace for picky eater

Based on analysis, both CT and VB would meet my needs for selenium and lysine. I know there are other pros and cons to both. But was wondering if folks had any experience that might help see which is a better bet for a picky eater.

I have two horses and one will eat almost anything, but he gets such little pelleted food (mix of small amount of grain and alfalfa pellets) that if I’m feeding a powder, need something that will stick well/not just fall to the bottom of the bin.

The other gets enough that mixing is easy, but she is a pickier eater.

1 Like

I feed the pelleted form of CA Trace and haven’t a problem with horses not eating it.

I have tried both and my picky eater very clearly voted for California Trace Plus pellets over Vermont Blend.

I really wanted to like the VB better because of the additional magnesium, but I built her up slowly to the recommended dose and once I started getting close to that amount, she refused to eat it. She also gets very little else (some alfalfa pellets for flavor and other pelleted supplements). I switched her to the CA Trace pellets and she’s been eating them with no hesitation whatsoever.

Everyone I know that feeds Vermont Blend whose horse does not also get a significant amount of grain/pelleted ration (enough to disguise the granule/powder consistency of the VB) has issues with their horse eating it.

The barn I used to board at had most of the horses on VB, and most of their feed buckets always contained leftover VB the horse’s refused to eat.

Anecdotal, obviously, but that’s been my experience in talking to most people around here.

My chow-hound gelding, who typically eats most anything, turned up his nose at California Trace Plus. He begrudgingly ate it after I “hid it” in senior feed, but I decided it was not worth the hassle. I’m not sure if there is a big difference in taste between the regular CT and the Plus, but to me it had had a strong smell, along the lines of black licorice. I have not tried Vermont Blend.

I don’t know how you’d feed any powder except in a mash.

A modest amount of beet pulp and/or alfalfa cubes makes an enormous mash that can hide quite a bit of supplement with few added calories.

1 Like

feeding a mash isn’t an option, unfortunately. The barn I board at won’t wet or soak feed. I have been able to feed powders that are either exceptionally tasty or when there is enough of a pelleted amount.

But based on everyone’s replies it sounds like the fact that CT has a pelleted option that is the best option to try.

You can get samples of VB. Not sure about CA Trace but I think they may do samples too.

I have been feeding it for over 2 years, no issue getting mine to eat a full dose, but it’s also mixed into a sloppy mash.

I did add the VB to alfalfa cubes when she refused it … only a very small amount of cubes (usually 3!) but enough that I would think it would cover the small amount of VB.

Both VB and CT do inexpensive samples.

My BO has a pony who is on short rations to keep her weight down. This pony will not eat the Vermont Blend. The BO has tried disguising it in various ways, but the pony sifts through to get whatever else is there.

Just one example, but given the other posts above, maybe representative of a broader issue of palatibility.

Unless you added a bit of oil to mix it all up?

You should try Mad Barn vitamin/mineral supplements! AminoTrace is similar to CaliforniaTrace with the high copper/zinc and Omneity looks similar to Vermont Blend (just looks to be more comprehensive). I feed Omneity to my mare and she loves it!

I recently switched my horses to VT Blend because it had a better balance of nutrients and NO added iron (we already have excess iron in the well water). I definitely had palability issues with the quantity of VT Blend needed for a daily ration and the small low-carb pellet ration for my field kept horses. Then I discovered that the company had the same nutrient profile in a different carrier base that was half the amount (1/4 cup supplement versus 1/2 cup). That has worked better for my situation.

This is the VT Blend PRO: https://customequinenutrition.com/products/vermont-blend-pro

From the company rep:

The original Vermont Blend has a little over 2oz of Diamond V Yeast per serving. With the PRO we removed the Diamond V Yeast and added Alltech’s Yeasac and Biomos which have very small inclusion rates. Therefore making the serving size smaller.

2 Likes

I haven’t used VB, but am using VB Pro this year. I chose it over VB mostly because of the slightly different nutrient profile. I will say it smells kind of sweet, possibly due to the Yea-Sacc, vs Diamond V in the regular VB, but also, VP Pro has anise added, which a lot of horses love.

I eased into it while decreasing the amount of ration balancer, and nobody has turned their nose up, despite it only being mixed with about 2c alfalfa pellets.

2 Likes

very helpful!

I went ahead and got the VB a few weeks ago and have not been able to get him to complete the full recommended dosage. He will consume if I give him up to 2/3rds with his alfalfa pellets and small bit of grain. But if I go over that, he leaves it. So, he’s been getting 2/3rds for now. But VB pro sounds like a good option for us!

2 Likes